There's your problem.....

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Scott Farkus
Posts in topic: 2

Re: There's your problem.....

Post by Scott Farkus »

I don't think I would have rubbed it in the poor clerk's face, but I understand exactly what you're saying. In an honest system, the courts would have long ago stepped in and put a stop to these restrictions of an enumerated right. Instead, they bend over backwards to make up "rights" that were never remotely contemplated by the founders, usually against the will of the majority, and then enforce those edicts on the rest of us in the strictest possible terms.

I saw a headline this morning about how 11 states were preparing to sue the Obama administration over that transgender locker room mandate. My first thought was "only 11?" Whether you agree with it or not, this is so far out of the realm of what should be the federal government's business that every governor and AG in the country needs to be screaming "NO!". And that's just one example out of hundreds if not thousands I could list.

Something's going to have to give very soon or as Syntyr said, I fear we are done for.

Deitz83
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Deitz83 »

Sad, but true! :iagree:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Scott Farkus wrote:I don't think I would have rubbed it in the poor clerk's face, but I understand exactly what you're saying.
That's why I felt kind of bad afterwards. Apparently, I had suffered a momentary cerebrovocal disconnect and the words just came right out of my mouth.....then he was gone. I wasn't trying to be snarky at all, it just seemed so obvious to me in the moment that I gave voice to the thought — kind of like when you're looking for something, find it, and say "there you are, you rascal you!"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I too say and type things at times that I am later regret because it comes across in a manner that was unintended. Sometimes factual statements come across as being insulting, condescending or crass when they are not the intended to do so. People are not perfect at maintaining the highest level of tact at all times but it seems some people are perfect at always maintaining the highest level of readiness to be insulted or offended.

While it is our responsibility to work on being tactful, there is not much we can do to prevent those that are perpetually offended and insulted from being so.

As my Dad reminded me many times when I was growing up, "the truth hurts and you need to learn to deal with it, Son".
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon May 30, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Point taken, and I wasn't trying to criticize you. I've popped off like that myself at otherwise innocent parties in the past, and always regretted it later.

It's easy for us in Texas to say "well, they can always move to a free state", and that's true to a degree, but millions of people have their lives and roots established in California and it's just not that easy to pack it all up and relocate elsewhere. So I guess they do just get used to it.

But then you realize that on an issue like this, it's not supposed to be this way. The right to bear arms is enumerated; it's not supposed to be left to the whim of a state to infringe. Other things might be, but not this. The federal government, particularly the courts, have utterly failed in their duty to prevent this from happening, even as they've usurped control over virtually every other aspect of state's rights on dubious constitutional grounds at best. It's maddening, depressing, and frightening all at the same time.

Today it's California and New York/New Jersey. Tomorrow it's likely to be Pennsylvania and Virginia. At some point it may well be Texas.

It has to stop.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Scott Farkus wrote:Point taken, and I wasn't trying to criticize you. I've popped off like that myself at otherwise innocent parties in the past, and always regretted it later.

It's easy for us in Texas to say "well, they can always move to a free state", and that's true to a degree, but millions of people have their lives and roots established in California and it's just not that easy to pack it all up and relocate elsewhere. So I guess they do just get used to it.

But then you realize that on an issue like this, it's not supposed to be this way. The right to bear arms is enumerated; it's not supposed to be left to the whim of a state to infringe. Other things might be, but not this. The federal government, particularly the courts, have utterly failed in their duty to prevent this from happening, even as they've usurped control over virtually every other aspect of state's rights on dubious constitutional grounds at best. It's maddening, depressing, and frightening all at the same time.

Today it's California and New York/New Jersey. Tomorrow it's likely to be Pennsylvania and Virginia. At some point it may well be Texas.

It has to stop.
Neither the current POTUS nor the left-wingers in Kalifornia elected themselves. Somebody has to say/do something. Maybe help is on its way with 'The Donald, maybe not. Good luck, y'all.

karder

Post by karder »

It's like the old adage about boiling frogs. If you put a frog in hot water it will jump out, but put it in cold water and slowly turn up the heat and the frog will swim around until it is boiled.

Look how far our society has moved due to slow and steady pressure from special interest groups. In order to not get totally off topic in a gun forum, I won't mention specific examples, but today we debate and argue issues with all seriousness that would have been outrageous to even propose a couple of decades ago. At some point there will be a violent correction and society will snap back. Much like an earthquake where years of pressure has built up, it eventually corrects, and when it does it is not fun.

If you think about it though, gun rights advocates have done a great job of advancing our cause in the face of a hostile government and propagandizing media. When I was a boy, there was no concealed carry, and while it was common to have a .22lr or 12 gauge in a rifle rack, I didn't know anyone who carried a handgun in their truck. My Dad carried a Colt .38 special in his pocket and everyone who knew him considered him an oddball with violent tendencies (which he was). He was the exception in our town. I didn't know anyone who had an "assault" rifle and while everyone had a couple of hunting rifles, I did not know anyone with a real gun collection.

Today, we can open carry a pistol down main street if we so desire and most of my friends have gun collections that would have raised a lot of eyebrows back in the day. Granted, gun ownership is much more polarizing an issue today.

I have taken two lesson from this. First, we can never give up one inch of ground to those who would erode our rights or attempt to burden us with evil legislation. Those who would impose their will upon us will never be satisfied until we are totally consumed, so we must push back and never compromise, not even an inch. Secondly, none of our advances have happened by accident. It is due to the hard work of people like Mr. Cotton, the NRA, TSRA, and right-minded God-fearing citizens who stand by their principals.

Ultimately, Californians will have to decide what kind of a state they want to live in. We Texans must do the same.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

:iagree:

well said Karder.

I too remember the days of carrying rifles/shotguns on gun racks, even to school to go hunting afterwards. I also agree that our advocates have done an amazing job of backing down restrictive legislation. We must stay ever vigilant, our adversaries are not going away, and will continue to push for more restrictions upon our liberties, and not just 2A issues, they want the government to be able to control all aspects of our lives, and gun rights just get swept up in the huge shop vac of restrictions.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well, I got back from California this afternoon. Actually, I got back last night, but spent the night in Amarillo...... Anyway, we are SO glad to be back, and both my wife and I commented on and agreed about a few things:
  1. We are no longer "ex-Californians", we are Texans. Maybe not by birth, but most certainly by choice.
  2. California is irredeemable. It is SO much worse than the last time we were there.
  3. The streets that were — in our memories — broad and free flowing, were actually narrow and choked with traffic.
  4. The drivers, which I used to believe were the best in the nation, are rude and poorly skilled these days.
  5. (On the positive side) El Portal in Pasadena is still the best Mexican restaurant in the United States.
  6. Californian's, even my more or less conservative friends there, are flabbergasted by the concepts accompanying individual liberty and Classical Liberalism.
  7. We saw brown air. California's environmental fascists can't keep up with its burgeoning, increasingly foreign, population. It is getting positively 3rd world there.
There's more, but those are the "highlights". We came away realizing that the California of our youth and all the great memories we had are just that - memories. With California, you truly can't go back.......but even if you could, there would be some democrat law against it. We enjoyed northern Arizona, and we love the drive through New Mexico, and would gladly explore either of those two states on future vacations. But going forward, the only thing that will get us back to California to visit is the maintenance of family relationships. Californians have ruined California for good.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Well, I got back from California this afternoon. Actually, I got back last night, but spent the night in Amarillo...... Anyway, we are SO glad to be back, and both my wife and I commented on and agreed about a few things:
  1. We are no longer "ex-Californians", we are Texans. Maybe not by birth, but most certainly by choice.
  2. California is irredeemable. It is SO much worse than the last time we were there.
  3. The streets that were — in our memories — broad and free flowing, were actually narrow and choked with traffic.
  4. The drivers, which I used to believe were the best in the nation, are rude and poorly skilled these days.
  5. (On the positive side) El Portal in Pasadena is still the best Mexican restaurant in the United States.
  6. Californian's, even my more or less conservative friends there, are flabbergasted by the concepts accompanying individual liberty and Classical Liberalism.
  7. We saw brown air. California's environmental fascists can't keep up with its burgeoning, increasingly foreign, population. It is getting positively 3rd world there.
There's more, but those are the "highlights". We came away realizing that the California of our youth and all the great memories we had are just that - memories. With California, you truly can't go back.......but even if you could, there would be some democrat law against it. We enjoyed northern Arizona, and we love the drive through New Mexico, and would gladly explore either of those two states on future vacations. But going forward, the only thing that will get us back to California to visit is the maintenance of family relationships. Californians have ruined California for good.
Thanks for sharing. It's sad because parts of the state are beautiful.
TX CHL 1997

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Well, I got back from California this afternoon. Actually, I got back last night, but spent the night in Amarillo...... Anyway, we are SO glad to be back, and both my wife and I commented on and agreed about a few things:
It truly is sad. Of all of the places where I lived, California is the place where I wanted to live again, but not any more.
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

Return to “Off-Topic”