Motor homes

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Motor homes

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

The Annoyed Man wrote:So we went to Walmart and bought wheel chocks, a Lynxlevelers RV Leveling Kit, a knee-pad, a 15' Camco RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit, RV toilet paper, a clean water hose, a 90º brass elbow and a brass water regulator for the clean water hookup, and a light broom and dustpan.

Question: do you have to have a separate drain hose for the gray water tank, or do you just use the same hose you use to drain the black water tank?
I recommend an inline filter for the water line that removes minerals, etc. It will increase the life of your water heater among other benefits.
My black and grey water tanks are hooked to the same outlet for drainage, so I obviously use the same hose.

If you have separate outlets I suggest two hoses with a splice to one end on the sanitary drop.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 43

Post by The Annoyed Man »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:So we went to Walmart and bought wheel chocks, a Lynxlevelers RV Leveling Kit, a knee-pad, a 15' Camco RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit, RV toilet paper, a clean water hose, a 90º brass elbow and a brass water regulator for the clean water hookup, and a light broom and dustpan.

Question: do you have to have a separate drain hose for the gray water tank, or do you just use the same hose you use to drain the black water tank?
I recommend an inline filter for the water line that removes minerals, etc. It will increase the life of your water heater among other benefits.
My black and grey water tanks are hooked to the same outlet for drainage, so I obviously use the same hose.

If you have separate outlets I suggest two hoses with a splice to one end on the sanitary drop.
Yeah, my trailer has separate outlets. The guy who was training us on Friday when we picked up the trailer gave the same advice as yours about using a spliced hose, but when I looked for such a thing at Walmart, they didn't have one. That's why I bought just the one drain hose. If there is such a coupling to be found that would connect two hoses into a common drain hose, I'd gladly buy it if you can point me to it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote:

Yeah, my trailer has separate outlets. The guy who was training us on Friday when we picked up the trailer gave the same advice as yours about using a spliced hose, but when I looked for such a thing at Walmart, they didn't have one. That's why I bought just the one drain hose. If there is such a coupling to be found that would connect two hoses into a common drain hose, I'd gladly buy it if you can point me to it.
Check with Camping World or some similar RV supply house. They have parts you can't even start to find at WM.

Of course unless you catch things on sale they cost more there. But there are some things that only they carry.

Ask the dealer where you bought your RV where to find such things locally. It is easy to find them online.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote:

I don't know very much about RV sewer lines. :shock:
Last edited by WildBill on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

One other tip that is probably in the manual and may be common knowledge, but just in case, here it goes.

After using the toilet in an RV and the little flap closes, press the water lever enough to allow about 0.5-1.0" of water to cover said flap. It'll help keep the odor from rising back into the RV.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 7

Post by E.Marquez »

OldCurlyWolf wrote: If you have separate outlets I suggest two hoses with a splice to one end on the sanitary drop.
How will he clean the black water section of the hose?
Manually with a water hose is an option, but not a fun one.
Using the single hose on black water tank, then swapping to grey is still not pleasent ..but a shorter, faster process then spraying it out with a hose.
Lastly, did i mention tinkering is part of the RV life????? Id be looking to interconnect the two tank dumps into a single outlet.... shut off valve on black water drain upstream of the Y, and then a shut off at the end as well.
Its just a mix of black ABS sewer pipe, two valves and some hangers to make it work..
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 7

Post by E.Marquez »

Should you want to connect the two flex lines to a Y this will do ya..
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... tion/31209
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

E.Marquez wrote:Should you want to connect the two flex lines to a Y this will do ya..
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... tion/31209
EXACTLY what I wanted to know. THANKS! :thumbs2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

Something else to keep in mind about load distribution.

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

carlson1
Posts in topic: 23

Post by carlson1 »

C-dub that is a great video to show how important it is to distribute the weight in all trailers, but especially in TT.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Yeah, the technicians who ran us through how to set everything up when we took delivery went over that with us - not the video, but the principle.

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jusme »

C-dub wrote:Something else to keep in mind about load distribution.

I got the opportunity, to experience this first hand. Back when I was in high school, a buddy and I went into business cutting and delivering firewood. we had four cords, on his trailer, and had made three deliveries. we moved the last cord to the back of the trailer to make it easier to unload at our last stop. We were on I-20 in Ft. Worth, and all of a sudden we starting swerving back and forth just like the trailer in the video. Luckily, my buddy was able to get us stopped, without crashing into anyone. we then moved the wood to the front, while wondering if we were going to have a laundry problem. :shock:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

If you plna to do any serious trailering and are (rightfully) concerned about load distribution, then you should have a trailer tongue weight scale in your tool box, viz:

http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Sherline/ ... aQod5IMDpA
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

carlson1
Posts in topic: 23

Post by carlson1 »

Yesterday 3 people died in Terrell from this very thing of the trailer weight out of proportion. We set on I-20 going to get our grandson for over an hour without moving.

I see a lot people pulling trailers not level and much too fast. I always take my time because I would rather get there than never arrive.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote:
C-dub wrote:Something else to keep in mind about load distribution.
This is a very informative and important video.
I had a similar thing happen to what Jusme described.
I was riding in a car with my BIL. He was following a trailer [fortunately not tailgating] that went over some railroad tracks too fast.
That trailer started vibrating, until the oscillations got bigger and bigger and the trailer just came apart.
Fortunately it was in an area with little traffic so no one got injured.

TAM - Watch out where you put that big gun safe and ammo cache. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Off-Topic”