American flags ordered removed from fire trucks

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Re: American flags ordered removed from fire trucks

Post by joe817 »

rotor wrote:I am older than you, when I learned it "under God" was not part of the pledge as it is now. I agree with everything you said.
"The Pledge of Allegiance of the United States is an expression of allegiance to the Flag of the United States and the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Colonel George Balch in 1887,[3][4][5] later revised by Francis Bellamy in 1892 and formally adopted by Congress as the pledge in 1942.[6] The official name of The Pledge of Allegiance was adopted in 1945. The last change in language came on Flag Day 1954 when the words "under God" were added."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

I'm glad to finally say someone is older than me. :lol:

I was 7 years old on Flag Day 1954. :patriot:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

techenigma
Posts in topic: 1

Post by techenigma »

The leftist idiots are seriously imposing some bull now and its getting rather tiring

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

Dont mean to hijack, but Im curious... when I was a kid we removed our hats during the national anthem but did not put our hand over our heart. I have since learned the etiquette was changed before then to suggest that motion, but we never did that in my area. Now some people are calling others out because they don't do it either. I don't care one way or another, I still don't do it because that's not how I learned it, but what are yalls thoughts and how did you learn it?

On a side note, I did not know the original salute to the flag during pledge until recently. PC even way back in the 1940s. Germany and Italy did it that way too... so we changed.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

RicoTX wrote:Dont mean to hijack, but Im curious... when I was a kid we removed our hats during the national anthem but did not put our hand over our heart. I have since learned the etiquette was changed before then to suggest that motion, but we never did that in my area. Now some people are calling others out because they don't do it either. I don't care one way or another, I still don't do it because that's not how I learned it, but what are yalls thoughts and how did you learn it?

On a side note, I did not know the original salute to the flag during pledge until recently. PC even way back in the 1940s. Germany and Italy did it that way too... so we changed.
Placing your right hand over your heart is actually a civilian salute - to the flag - not to the anthem. A flag is usually present when the anthem is played, but may not be. If a flag is not present it is still a salute to the flag. Same is true for the Pledge of allegiance. A recent change to the flag code gives veterans, in civilian clothes, the option of rendering a military salute.

It always makes me wonder why when "God Bless America" is played at ball games in the 7th inning, folks place their hands over their hearts. True there's a flag present, but it's not our national anthem (which is all about the flag), and I don't think a salute is appropriate. If it were, we'd be standing and saluting every patriotic song.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

RicoTX wrote:Dont mean to hijack, but Im curious... when I was a kid we removed our hats during the national anthem but did not put our hand over our heart. I have since learned the etiquette was changed before then to suggest that motion, but we never did that in my area. Now some people are calling others out because they don't do it either. I don't care one way or another, I still don't do it because that's not how I learned it, but what are yalls thoughts and how did you learn it?

I'm the same,way, hand over the heart was for the Pledge of Allegiance, hat in hand, hands to our sides for the Anthem. I don't know when the etiquette changed, if it did, but I still follow that policy.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by dale blanker »

Jusme wrote:

I'm the same,way, hand over the heart was for the Pledge of Allegiance, hat in hand, hands to our sides for the Anthem. I don't know when the etiquette changed, if it did, but I still follow that policy.
Apparently few countries have something like a pledge of alligiance and even fewer do it frequently like we do. I wonder why(?). I suspect others are just as proud of their homelands but don't feel the need to profess it so frequently. If we just said it yesterday, does it make sense to do it again today? Isn't once a year enough for the pledge???
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 7

Post by mojo84 »

dale blanker wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Apparently few countries have something like a pledge of alligiance and even fewer do it frequently like we do. I wonder why(?). I suspect others are just as proud of their homelands but don't feel the need to profess it so frequently. If we just said it yesterday, does it make sense to do it again today? Isn't once a year enough for the pledge???
If you don't want to say it, don't. Just like saying a prayer, if you don't want to pray, don't. Why try to convince others to conform to you? The fact we have the choice is one of the great things about our country and what makes me want to say the Pledge.

Why compare our country and traditions to others, especially third world countries that have little to be proud of?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Will Beararms

Post by Will Beararms »

We need to make sure this doesn't happen in our own back yard. When I read stores like this it just reinforces why we need to do what we can to keep Texas red.

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TexasTornado »

Update: flag allowed back on one fire engine

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/stor ... /88902236/
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Topic author
RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

TexasTornado wrote:Update: flag allowed back on one fire engine

Yes but only on 1 engine.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

RPBrown wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:Update: flag allowed back on one fire engine

Yes but only on 1 engine.
They did mention sorting out procedures so possibly the others will follow. We'll see.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by dale blanker »

mojo84 wrote: If you don't want to say it, don't. Just like saying a prayer, if you don't want to pray, don't. Why try to convince others to conform to you? The fact we have the choice is one of the great things about our country and what makes me want to say the Pledge.
Lots of luck with choosing not to, especially for the kids at school. I always do the salute but frequently skip saying the words.

And I certainly agree about our country's greatness (and don't feel that it needs to be made great again) - all the more reason to skip the brainwashing like some countries do.
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 7

Post by mojo84 »

What some consider brainwashing, others consider instilling values and principles.

Your progressive buddies have pretty much ruined the country through moral and fiscal irresponsibility. . It's just that many are in denial. The federal debt is just the tip of the iceberg. The attack on pride and patriotism is just one more step in the destruction.
Last edited by mojo84 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

mojo84 wrote:What some consider brainwashing, others consider it instilling values and principles.

Your progressive buddies have pretty much ruined the country through moral and fiscal irresponsibility. . It's just that many are in denial. The federal debt is just the tip of the iceberg. The attack on pride and patriotism is just one more step in the destruction.
:iagree:

NRA Lifetime Member

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LucasMcCain »

mojo84 wrote:What some consider brainwashing, others consider instilling values and principles.

:iagree: There's a difference between indoctrination and teaching.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Return to “Off-Topic”