Do You Take A Baby Aspirin Daily?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Do You Take A Baby Aspirin Daily?

Post by Abraham »

A number of years ago, my family doctor recommended I do this as a stroke prevention aid.

What do you do to help prevent a stroke?

Pawpaw

Re: Do You Take A Baby Aspirin Daily?

Post by Pawpaw »

Not truly baby aspirin, but Low-Dose (81mg) aspirin, yes.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Pawpaw,

That's what I should of called it.

It's not baby aspirin, it's low dose (81mg) - Thanks for the correction. I know one man who takes a whole, standard size aspirin a day, (I don't the dose size) but that sounds like stomach burning potential as I also take another NSAID for arthritis called meloxicam. I make certain to take these medications right after I eat breakfast.

I also do a lot of vigorous exercise, so I guess that helps keep the blood circulation going and not clotting, I guess...?

TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TxRVer »

Pawpaw wrote:Not truly baby aspirin, but Low-Dose (81mg) aspirin, yes.
Same here.
Charlie

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I would not do this except on a doctor's advice directly to you. Yes, low dose aspirin daily can prevent stroke and heart attack; but it ALSO can cause problems. The aspirin works by acidifying the blood. But acidifying the blood can also cause osteopenia - the "brittle bone" disease suffered by the elderly, primarily the female elderly. The acid in the blood leaches the calcium out of the bones.

I am not a doctor, but I worked with a lot of doctors in a hospital setting, and my "medical advice" (such as it is) is to consult your doctor FIRST before starting a daily regimen of aspirin.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm sure there are people who would do that without a doctor's advice, but I ain't one of 'em. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:Pawpaw,

That's what I should of called it.

It's not baby aspirin, it's low dose (81mg) - Thanks for the correction. I know one man who takes a whole, standard size aspirin a day, (I don't the dose size) but that sounds like stomach burning potential as I also take another NSAID for arthritis called meloxicam. I make certain to take these medications right after I eat breakfast.

I also do a lot of vigorous exercise, so I guess that helps keep the blood circulation going and not clotting, I guess...?
I just started doing this a couple weeks ago.
I take enteric coated aspirin to minimize the effects on the stomach. I take it right before going to bed.

I can't fault those who obtain their doctor's advice prior to taking aspirin, but I am not one of them.
NRA Endowment Member

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by WTR »

I had a stroke. It was a fluke and they have never determined a reason. I am on a low dose aspirin. I was also on Plavix but I bruised like crazy. My Hematologist takes a low dose aspirin and Plavix as a prophylactic. I agree with running this by your doctor first. One med to be careful of is testosterone as it increases the diameter of red blood cells.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

I'm only in my late 30's, but I do take full 325mg aspirin once every two days, in addition to daily fish oil and COq10.

Interestingly, and it's probably just a mental thing on my part, but when I take aspirin at night I tend to fall asleep easier and sleep better. Go figure.

Also, I take daily dose of powder form ascorbic acid (vitamin C). I heard it's also great for people with addiction issues as it crosses the blood brain barrier faster then heroin, incidentally.

And my addiction is buying guns... :fire

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I was 50 and healthy as a horse. 6' 180ibs. no problem sleeping, low blood pressure (118/68 last time I had a doctors visit), low cholesterol and did not smoke. The first question doctors asked me ( 7 initially) was if I smoked. The second, if I had been to a Chiropractor.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

WTR, what was your response to those questions?

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

No. One of my Mom's friends did Stoke right after she saw a Chiropractor.
Last edited by WTR on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I take a low dose aspirin and fish oil daily per the advice of my doc. I had a stent placed when I was 38 due to a 90% LAD blockage.

I would not take a regular aspirin without a doc prescribing it and monitoring you. A friend's wife decided if a baby aspirin was good for you, a full dose aspirin would be even better. It along with about three diet cokes a day helped develop a serious bleeding ulcer.
Last edited by mojo84 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Yes, I heard for a very long time to be careful with chiropractors and their adjustments, as it can lead to stroke if something happens to dislodge.

Same with hickeys. Heard about young people getting a stroke caused by a hickey.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

parabelum wrote:Yes, I heard for a very long time to be careful with chiropractors and their adjustments, as it can lead to stroke if something happens to dislodge.

Same with hickeys. Heard about young people getting a stroke caused by a hickey.
Both of those are news to me. I would have never thought of such.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Off-Topic”