Military Discount

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Military Discount

Post by rotor »

Freezer died last night and of course there was much waste. Took multiple bags of food to the dump and went shopping for an upright 20 cubic foot freezer. Tried multiple stores and found what we wanted at Lowe's for a good price. The girl ringing up everything asked if I was military and I said I am a veteran but not active or retired. She said you get 10% off then and the only card I had which showed veteran status was my LTC which I just renewed and renewed under veteran status. I have shopped at Lowe's for years and I did not know they gave a 10% discount on everything for veterans, I though it was limited to Veteran's Day. So, remember that when shopping as it saved me over $60 today.

Pawpaw

Re: Military Discount

Post by Pawpaw »

Home Depot does too. I use it all the time. :tiphat:

Here's a pretty good guide to military discounts: http://militarybenefits.info/military-discounts/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TreyHouston »

I always ask! Be supprised who has them!

Also, thanks for your service! :tiphat:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Just depends on the cashier, I've been denied a veterans discount at some Lowes and granted at others. I think you got lucky. If you go back, try to get the same cashier.

This is from Lowes website,
Military Discount
Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor retired veterans and VA recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, retired veterans or VA recipients.
To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:
Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID card.
Or:
Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).
We honor all veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the veteran community on these three holidays only.

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

JakeTheSnake wrote:Just depends on the cashier, I've been denied a veterans discount at some Lowes and granted at others. I think you got lucky. If you go back, try to get the same cashier.

Military Discount
Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor retired veterans and VA recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, retired veterans or VA recipients.
Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID card.
Or:
Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).
We honor all veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the veteran community on these three holidays only.
I thought that was the case and I asked them specifically if they discounted all veterans and they said yes so I took the discount although I did not think that was their official policy for all veterans. I wasn't about to fight with them about it. The only veteran status proof I had was my new LTC card which I applied for 6 months early.

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Never hurts to ask. I have it on my DL and LTC.
Got a $80 discount on a dishwasher at Lowes.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Yes, bring your dd214 to the DPS and they will put veteran on you DL. This just started recently! :hurry:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flowrie »

rotor wrote:Freezer died last night and of course there was much waste. Took multiple bags of food to the dump and went shopping for an upright 20 cubic foot freezer. Tried multiple stores and found what we wanted at Lowe's for a good price. The girl ringing up everything asked if I was military and I said I am a veteran but not active or retired. She said you get 10% off then and the only card I had which showed veteran status was my LTC which I just renewed and renewed under veteran status. I have shopped at Lowe's for years and I did not know they gave a 10% discount on everything for veterans, I though it was limited to Veteran's Day. So, remember that when shopping as it saved me over $60 today.
Yes, I have also used my LTC card that has "Veteran" on it to obtain the discount. Good any day of the week.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

TreyHouston wrote:Yes, bring your dd214 to the DPS and they will put veteran on you DL. This just started recently! :hurry:
I renewed my DL in person last month. They wouldn't accept my retired military ID as proof, but they did accept my CHL with "Veteran" on it.

The funny thing is how I got "Veteran" on my CHL... I scanned my retired military ID card and emailed it to them. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

Pawpaw wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:Yes, bring your dd214 to the DPS and they will put veteran on you DL. This just started recently! :hurry:
I renewed my DL in person last month. They wouldn't accept my retired military ID as proof, but they did accept my CHL with "Veteran" on it.

The funny thing is how I got "Veteran" on my CHL... I scanned my retired military ID card and emailed it to them. :lol:
If you don't have a copy of your DD214 it is easy to get on the internet. I had an old one from a base transfer but was able to get the one when I separated via the internet. I was actually promoted while on terminal leave.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

;-) I just didn't have it with me. To tell the truth, I knew (from the DPS website) that they would accept my CHL, so I didn't bother.

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Pawpaw wrote:I renewed my DL in person last month. They wouldn't accept my retired military ID as proof, but they did accept my CHL with "Veteran" on it.

Don't know if thats funny or one of the dumbest things I've heard! :confused5

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I'm not one of the special groups, like the retired, disabled, or war veteran. Just a simple vet who proudly served his three years cause it was my duty. It's pretty nice to get a small benefit and acknowledgement for doing the right thing. I remember the days when they shamed us and it wasn't something we weren't supposed to be proud of.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

JakeTheSnake wrote:Just depends on the cashier, I've been denied a veterans discount at some Lowes and granted at others. I think you got lucky. If you go back, try to get the same cashier.

Military Discount
Or:
:iagree: I used the veteran's discount one time at Home Depot on an item that cost $200 ($20 discount). The casher told me they do it, but you must show a copy of your DD214. I had it on both DL and CHL. She said she would accept it that day, but in the future, I had to show a copy of DD214. I haven't used the discount since, but probably will if it's a large purchase. I was very nice to her and told her I understood if she couldn't give me the discount that day, which I think changed her mind and she ended up giving it to me. In some cases I feel funny using my veteran's status to receive discounts, but I do appreciate the places that do it. :patriot:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I'm with you...kind of embarrassed but my wife will give me grief if I don't use it so...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “Off-Topic”