Today in Trump's 1st term as President

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 106

Re: Today in Trump's new term as President

Post by Pawpaw »

Oh, So That's What The DNC Tried to Bury During Trump's State Of The Union
The economy is booming, the tax reform package has spurred over 250 companies to dole out bonuses to some three million workers, more employee investments are coming, more jobs are projected to be created, and charitable donations are expected to increase from companies thanks to Trump’s tax bill. Apple’s repatriation of $250 billion, part of their $350 billion investments back into America over a five-year periodis projected to create 20,000 jobs in the process. We've reached a new era, one of economic prosperity, which is what President Trump emphasized during the State of the Union Tuesday.

President Trump spoke of the good economic news to dead silence from Democrats. Job creation is up, with 2.4 million jobs created since the 2016 election—Democrats sat. They sat when the president announced we had defeated ISIS, touted low unemployment rates, fighting crime, uniting the country, and working together on a bipartisan basis. They were a legion of grumpy cats; still incensed that Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton in 2016. Yeah, they’re not over it. Another area of heartburn could be the Democratic Party’s rather atrocious fundraising hauls. Filed during the State of the Union in the hopes of getting buried, Ken Vogel of The New York Times picked it up where he noted the Democratic National Committee had raised a little over $5 million in December, finishing the year $6 million in debt. The Republican National Committee has no debt and raised over twice as much as the their Democratic counterparts. For 2017, the RNC raised $132.5 million to the DNC’s $65.9 million. Regarding cash on hand, the RNC has close to $40 million ($38.8 million to be exact), while the DNC only has $6.3 million.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 213

Post by bblhd672 »

The Rasmussen Reports daily tracking poll shows 49 per cent of likely U.S. voters believe Trump is doing a good job in the White House. The same number disagree.
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... rack_feb02
Hard core leftist haters still account for 38% who strongly disapprove.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Memo is out. House.gov server hosting it is throwing errors, probably due to high traffic.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/house ... le/2647937

These points, if true, blow my mind. I still haven't seen the original due to the server issues at house.gov.
* The Steele dossier formed an essential part of the initial and all three renewal FISA applications against Carter Page.

* Andrew McCabe confirmed that no FISA warrant would have been sought from the FISA Court without the Steele dossier information.

* The political origins of the Steele dossier were known to senior DOJ and FBI officials, but excluded from the FISA applications.

* DOJ official Bruce Ohr met with Steele beginning in the summer of 2016 and relayed to DOJ information about Steele's bias. Steele told Ohr that he, Steele, was desperate that Donald Trump not get elected president and was passionate about him not becoming president.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Memo is out. House.gov server hosting it is throwing errors, probably due to high traffic.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/house ... le/2647937

These points, if true, blow my mind. I still haven't seen the original due to the server issues at house.gov.
* The Steele dossier formed an essential part of the initial and all three renewal FISA applications against Carter Page.

* Andrew McCabe confirmed that no FISA warrant would have been sought from the FISA Court without the Steele dossier information.

* The political origins of the Steele dossier were known to senior DOJ and FBI officials, but excluded from the FISA applications.

* DOJ official Bruce Ohr met with Steele beginning in the summer of 2016 and relayed to DOJ information about Steele's bias. Steele told Ohr that he, Steele, was desperate that Donald Trump not get elected president and was passionate about him not becoming president.
Link to PDF of the memo:
https://graphics.axios.com/2018-02-02-m ... -SD001.pdf

Memo also available here:
https://www.axios.com/read-nunes-memo-f ... 7bcdf.html
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

BBYC
Posts in topic: 28

Post by BBYC »

anygunanywhere wrote:I'm not real certain the FISA court meets Constitutional scrutiny no matter how you look at it. It is a tyrant's tool.
Of course. They had to invent FIS Courts because they couldn't get warrants from normal courts, even with the relaxed due process these days.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

philbo
Banned
Posts in topic: 149

Post by philbo »

Another record setting day in Trump's presidency as the Dow plunges 1,600 points at lows, marks worst intraday point drop in history.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dow-s ... 2018-02-05

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Not unexpected.....been hearing that an adjustment was coming for some time, and that from people I respect not main stream doom sayers.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Vol Texan »

philbo wrote:Another record setting day in Trump's presidency as the Dow plunges 1,600 points at lows, marks worst intraday point drop in history.
Once again, this is only half the story. Please take the time to read this article posted yesterday in the USA Today (not exactly a bastion of conservative thought).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 306400002/

If anyone would take the opportunity to slam Trump over this, they would. But they didn't. Instead, they reinforced that there has been such spectacular growth since Trump took office that they'd been expecting a 10% drop. And yet, this was only an 8.5% drop. Please, we understand that you're no Trump fanboy - actually, neither am I. But try to apply a little intellectual honesty here and tell the full story.:
"A waterfall crashette," is the way Gary Kaltbaum, president of Kaltbaum Capital Management, described the drop, which left the Dow down 8.5% for the year and ever closer to a long-anticipated "correction," or 10% drop, that many Wall Street pros have been calling for after the Dow's 25% gain last year.

Asked why the Dow, which also cratered 666 points Friday, gyrated so wildly, Axel Merk, chief investment officer at San Francisco-based Merk Investments, said: "When stocks reach new highs month after month, when a virtual currency is the hottest thing in town, greed has overtaken fear. And when that happens, well, it's time to be fearful again. Consider this a wake-up call."

The market had been enjoying a dizzying ascent since President Trump was elected in November 2016, with the Dow gaining 45% through its record closing high on January 26, 2018.

But investors got too exuberant and stock prices ran up too much, too fast, making the market vulnerable. Stocks simply had too many buyers at the start of the year. In fact, more than $100 billion flowed into stocks globally at the beginning of 2018, according to Bank of America Merrill Lynch data.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Vol Texan wrote:
philbo wrote:Another record setting day in Trump's presidency as the Dow plunges 1,600 points at lows, marks worst intraday point drop in history.
Once again, this is only half the story. Please take the time to read this article posted yesterday in the USA Today (not exactly a bastion of conservative thought).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 306400002/

If anyone would take the opportunity to slam Trump over this, they would. But they didn't. Instead, they reinforced that there has been such spectacular growth since Trump took office that they'd been expecting a 10% drop. And yet, this was only an 8.5% drop. Please, we understand that you're no Trump fanboy - actually, neither am I. But try to apply a little intellectual honesty here and tell the full story.:
"A waterfall crashette," is the way Gary Kaltbaum, president of Kaltbaum Capital Management, described the drop, which left the Dow down 8.5% for the year and ever closer to a long-anticipated "correction," or 10% drop, that many Wall Street pros have been calling for after the Dow's 25% gain last year.

Asked why the Dow, which also cratered 666 points Friday, gyrated so wildly, Axel Merk, chief investment officer at San Francisco-based Merk Investments, said: "When stocks reach new highs month after month, when a virtual currency is the hottest thing in town, greed has overtaken fear. And when that happens, well, it's time to be fearful again. Consider this a wake-up call."

The market had been enjoying a dizzying ascent since President Trump was elected in November 2016, with the Dow gaining 45% through its record closing high on January 26, 2018.

But investors got too exuberant and stock prices ran up too much, too fast, making the market vulnerable. Stocks simply had too many buyers at the start of the year. In fact, more than $100 billion flowed into stocks globally at the beginning of 2018, according to Bank of America Merrill Lynch data.
So if my basic math skills work....the market is still up 37% since November 2016? :mrgreen:

flechero
Posts in topic: 77

Post by flechero »

bblhd672 wrote: So if my basic math skills work....the market is still up 37% since November 2016? :mrgreen:
Sure, muddy the argument with facts, why don't you!! :lol:

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Vol Texan »

flechero wrote:
bblhd672 wrote: So if my basic math skills work....the market is still up 37% since November 2016? :mrgreen:
Sure, muddy the argument with facts, why don't you!! :lol:
Shhh...you'll just confuse everyone. Why let data get in the way of what should be a purely emotionally-driven argument?!?
:cheers2:
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

philbo
Banned

Post by philbo »

Vol Texan wrote:But try to apply a little intellectual honesty here...

And that's something that's been missing in this thread. The statement I made was 100% correct: The change was record setting and it happened during trump's term. Any other inference, positive or negative, was made by the reader's bias. I personally don't believe trump is anymore responsible for the fall than he has been for the rise of the markets. I'm perplexed by those, including trump, who are quick to claim credit for positive results outside of their control, but reluctant to claim any responsibility when their fortunes change. Bottom line, you can't make speeches about how great the market is while it simultaneously takes a record setting dive.... at least you can't and still be intellectually honest.

Trump and Republicans discover the perils of touting the stock market
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 21fced854b

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

philbo wrote: Bottom line, you can't make speeches about how great the market is while it simultaneously takes a record setting dive.... at least you can't and still be intellectually honest.
State of the Union speech was on January 30th. The Dow drop was on February 5th. How is that simultaneous?

Presidents always take credit for gains in the market after they are elected, and usually blame the previous guy for a bad reaction of the market.

philbo
Banned

Post by philbo »

bblhd672 wrote:State of the Union speech was on January 30th. The Dow drop was on February 5th. How is that simultaneous?
But you see, I wasn't speaking of the State if the Union, I was referencing trumps speech in Ohio yesterday... where he was once more linking himself to the stock market increases (and a lot of other half truths) while the market was actually in the midst of its historic fall. Just want to make sure he gets all of the credit he is so deserving of.

Fox News cuts away from Trump economic speech to cover historic stock market drop
https://thinkprogress.org/trump-stock-m ... 097090238/

flechero
Posts in topic: 77

Post by flechero »

The stock market is as fickle as a hormonally imbalanced woman.... (no offense, ladies!) The optimism after the election got it going and it's been on fire most of the year... the only time it slowed was for a few big showdowns (failure on healthcare deal, gov't shutdown, daca, etc.) or when the dems seem to score a win on something. (Ironic, huh?? Will you [philbo] give them any credit for that) So Yes, it's mainly Trump as the engine. Even with a few off days, we're light years ahead of where we were- and considering that it's been the entire establishment, maybe including the fbi, doj and others trying to drag him down, I'm inclined to cut him a break if I don't make $1000's EVERY week in the market. Even the Pope has an off day now and again.

I can say pretty certainly, if the election had gone the other way- the markets would NOT be where they are, and we'd all be scared to death about our retirement accounts.

I didn't vote for him because I liked his personality, I voted for him because I don't want to work until I'm 70.

This year has shown me that we need term limits in ALL parts of government... possibly even including the intel agencies.

Return to “Off-Topic”