Today in Trump's 1st term as President

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 156

Re: Today in Trump's new term as President

Post by dale blanker »

Although it appears Anthem kneelers are being disrespectful to the Anthem and the flag, it certainly does not rise to the level of flag burning or the chanting of Neo-Nazi and white supremacists in Charlottesville that the President defended. When a national figure such as an NFL player refuses to stand for the national anthem, it shocks people into paying attention and generates conversation. He believes the United States is not living up to its ideals of freedom, liberty, and justice for all. He is not disrespecting the system but the way it is being implemented.

Personally, when I hear the Anthem I think about the scene that Francis Scott Key described, I feel moved and glad that I am living here. However, I’m not so glad about the way my government is acting now.
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

Jusme
Posts in topic: 146

Post by Jusme »

dale blanker wrote:Although it appears Anthem kneelers are being disrespectful to the Anthem and the flag, it certainly does not rise to the level of flag burning or the chanting of Neo-Nazi and white supremacists in Charlottesville that the President defended. When a national figure such as an NFL player refuses to stand for the national anthem, it shocks people into paying attention and generates conversation. He believes the United States is not living up to its ideals of freedom, liberty, and justice for all. He is not disrespecting the system but the way it is being implemented.

Personally, when I hear the Anthem I think about the scene that Francis Scott Key described, I feel moved and glad that I am living here. However, I’m not so glad about the way my government is acting now.

Dale, while I applaud your patriotism, once again, you are misled on the President. He never once defended, any white supremacist groups, in Charlottesville, or anywhere else. He simply reiterated the fact, that no matter how despicable we may find a group's diatribe, they still have the right, under our Constitution, to protest, and demonstrate.

Trump is showing everyday, exactly, why and how, our "government" has given up any pretense of really defending the Constitution. He is having to wade through so many years of the dissolution of that document, before he can actually get people to understand it's meaning, and authority.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Killadocg23
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Killadocg23 »

How many Americans who are saying kneeling is disrespectful to veterans and service man are actuaveteransl and service men who have served this country? My point is there are people who never served saying it's disrespectful blah blah. So why can't these 22-25 year old "African American" millionaires talk about racism? Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean you can't speak about it and that goes for both sides. I have a lot of friends currently in the military and veterans who could care less about the opinions of others Everybody has their own OPINION and shouldn't force their opinion down the throat of others.

montgomery
Posts in topic: 3

Post by montgomery »

... most of them don't know what the protest is about. THAT is the bigger issue - besides this being smokescreen to take attention off the fact Congress cannot get anything done that is on their plate.

The protest began once Colin K. got benched in San Francisco under the guise of support for BLM. The man got benched because he is not a starting caliber QB and remains unemployed because his stats are practice squad.

The other fact that falls by the wayside is Trump - like him or not - did not say what folks in media, social and otherwise, say he said. The man sneezes and it gets misinterpreted as him starting biological warfare.

People need to grow the F up and start showing gratitude for all the blood shed to create the land of the free. All this cowardice makes me question the "home of the brave" part.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 37

Post by parabelum »

dale blanker wrote:Although it appears Anthem kneelers are being disrespectful to the Anthem and the flag, it certainly does not rise to the level of flag burning or the chanting of Neo-Nazi and white supremacists in Charlottesville that the President defended. When a national figure such as an NFL player refuses to stand for the national anthem, it shocks people into paying attention and generates conversation. He believes the United States is not living up to its ideals of freedom, liberty, and justice for all. He is not disrespecting the system but the way it is being implemented.

What conversation exactly is being generated?

What do you mean "He is not disrespecting the system but the way it is being implemented."? What is the National Anthem got to do with the "system"?
Same system that allows for a black man to be elected president, twice? System that allows these idiots to earn millions off of it?
System that bled to liberate Jews from concentration camps and fought against fascism?
System that supports millions of illegals to come here and get better care then our Veterans?
Get my drift? That "system"?

You know this started with one idiot who got mixed up with Egyptian Muslim girl and then started bashing the Nation that allowed uneducated moron such as him to earn a pretty good living...you know, living off of the "system".

montgomery
Posts in topic: 3

Post by montgomery »

parabelum wrote:

What conversation exactly is being generated?

What do you mean "He is not disrespecting the system but the way it is being implemented."? What is the National Anthem got to do with the "system"?
Same system that allows for a black man to be elected president, twice? System that allows these idiots to earn millions off of it?
System that bled to liberate Jews from concentration camps and fought against fascism?
System that supports millions of illegals to come here and get better care then our Veterans?
Get my drift? That "system"?

You know this started with one idiot who got mixed up with Egyptian Muslim girl and then started bashing the Nation that allowed uneducated moron such as him to earn a pretty good living...you know, living off of the "system".

You, Sir, apparently do not have empathy for oppressed millionaire athletes. ;-)

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Killadocg23 wrote:How many Americans who are saying kneeling is disrespectful to veterans and service man are actuaveteransl and service men who have served this country? My point is there are people who never served saying it's disrespectful blah blah. So why can't these 22-25 year old "African American" millionaires talk about racism? Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean you can't speak about it and that goes for both sides. I have a lot of friends currently in the military and veterans who could care less about the opinions of others Everybody has their own OPINION and shouldn't force their opinion down the throat of others.

Maybe, I wasn't clear in my statements, I have no issue with anyone protesting, or demonstrating for their beliefs. The point I was making, was that, 22-25 year old millionaires, are not really the face, of race-based discrimination. I fully understand that there are millions of non-white people, who don't have the advantage that the NFL players have. There are several white people who do not share those advantages. But if all you are doing to rectify the situation, is protest, the anthem, then who is getting the message? The average seat at an NFL game will cost you $75-100. How many of those people are victims of racism? I can't afford to take my family to a game. I am a white male. Privilege?

Again, I am not so naive to believe, that racism does not exist. But, I am also not so naive to believe that, everyone can and should be able to succeed in this country, in spite of setbacks. There have been too many examples of that fact. Take a look at the kneelers. JMHO

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

IMO, the "protests" on the sidelines of NFL games are hurting / will hurt the NFL and the teams financially. Spectator sports have always been an escape, if you will, from the news cycle, politics, daily life, etc... By creating controversy, they are getting a lot of press, and President Trump appears to be doing all he can to ensure they get their fill of it. I believe a large part of the fan-base thinks that the players should be free to express themselves on issues of the day -- OFF the field -- and should limit their game day activities and comments to football.

Workplace policies exist for most folks that include statements about behaviors that reflect negatively on the employer, and I am sure that the NFL and the teams have these sorts of policies in place. Players are paid handsomely for their physical prowess on the field, but this shouldn't mean that they are immune to punishment from their employer when they harm the reputation and revenue-generating ability of that employer. The only thing that really surprises me about this whole series of events is the NFL coming out on the side of those protesting. Allowing and even sanctioning things that hurt your brand just doesn't seem like good business to me.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 58

Post by anygunanywhere »

If the snowflake millionaire national felony league entertainers would actually contribute something to solving ANY problem plaguing the black community I would respect their opinion maybe a little it. Since on average an nfl player is arrested every 7 days their so called protests are hardly more than misguided insults to the very nation and flag that has done more to guarantee their privileged position than their limited educated mind can comprehend.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 213

Post by bblhd672 »

I'm always interested in hearing the viewpoint of the "oppressed" man:

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Another "oppressed" minority viewpoint:

http://walterewilliams.com/not-a-day-care/
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

And another:

http://www.larryelder.com/column/uncle- ... ve-n-word/
“Uncle Tom,” on the other hand, when used by a black person as an epithet against another black person, is designed to do one thing and one thing only — to label that person as a traitor, a sellout, as a black person who colludes with white racists to undermine the success of black people.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

anygunanywhere wrote:If the snowflake millionaire national felony league entertainers would actually contribute something to solving ANY problem plaguing the black community I would respect their opinion maybe a little it. Since on average an nfl player is arrested every 7 days their so called protests are hardly more than misguided insults to the very nation and flag that has done more to guarantee their privileged position than their limited educated mind can comprehend.

:iagree:

While I don't paint every NFL player with such a broad brush, if they truly feel there is such a major issue regarding racism, why are they not either working to resolve it, or, at the very least offering a solution?

As a manager, I always told my employees, if you believe that there is an issue, don't just criticize, offer an alternative solution. It's easy to say " that's wrong" but if you don't at least offer an alternative, it's just armchair quarterbacking.

That is my problem with most "protests" there is too much criticism, but no solutions to any perceived issue. Labeling things with terms such as "racist" "misogynist" "homophobic" etc.. is that there is no true definition, or actual, behavior, that they can point to to demonstrate it. If you can't define the problem, give examples of the problem, or offer alternatives, to fix the problem, then you can continue to criticize, with no fear of rebuttal. JMHO

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 23

Post by ninjabread »

Asian Americans are grossly underrepresented in the NFL and NBA. Meanwhile African American males are disproportionately favored in the ranks of professional athletes earning $1,000,000 or more per year. There is very clear economic inequality along race and gender lines in US professional sports.

Let me get this straight. They're racist and sexist and they hate America.

It's getting hard to tell the difference between the NFL and ISIS.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Pilgrim
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pilgrim »

bblhd672 Thank you for your 3 posts. It is encouraging to hear thoughtful discussions.
The last post touched on morals and consequences. It is true for any race, nation, or individual. We reap what we sow.

Return to “Off-Topic”