Today in Trump's 1st term as President

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

apvonkanel
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Today in Trump's new term as President

Post by apvonkanel »

Keeping to the stated spirit of the entire forum, what are the 2A improvements made (or at least actively in the works) from this new administration? Honestly, everything else seems to be getting worse or dead in the water.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

apvonkanel wrote:Keeping to the stated spirit of the entire forum, what are the 2A improvements made (or at least actively in the works) from this new administration? Honestly, everything else seems to be getting worse or dead in the water.
I think this thread is in the "off topic" area because it deals with more than just 2A issues.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 146

Post by Jusme »

apvonkanel wrote:Keeping to the stated spirit of the entire forum, what are the 2A improvements made (or at least actively in the works) from this new administration? Honestly, everything else seems to be getting worse or dead in the water.

Right now I think Trump is working on fulfilling all of his campaign promises. I never heard him promise anything more than trying to get National Reciprocity passed. That is probably not at the top of his list yet. Not to mention that will get a lot of push back from states like Commifornia, and New York. where they have large voting blocks.

The only other issue, in the wings is the Hearing Protection Act. But it hasn't been passed through Congress yet.

Trump can't repeal any laws without Congress, so I wouldn't hold my breath on any major changes any time real soon, but he has managed to get a lot accomplished in a short period of time, so they may come sooner than later.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 44

Post by Mxrdad »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
philip964 wrote: What Obamacare did do, that I am personally aware of, was that it allowed two friends who were uninsurable to get health insurance for the first time in awhile. One had a seizure during college while she was under her parents insurance. The other developed diabetes while on Cobra after changing careers.

A simple repeal of Obamacare would have left both these friends out in the cold again. There were most likely millions of people like them. Everyone of them would have been a tragic story in the news, if it was simply repealed.
While those are compelling tragic stories, they do not give the government the right to tax everyone, against their free will, to provide for those people. Stop taxing those of us and to paraphrase your words, "millions of people like us", many of us who continue to go to work each and every day regardless of health constraints, and instead make it easier for those folks you know to obtain and pay for their own care. And BTW, if taxes were lowered, voluntary contributions to legal charities, many of which can help people like those in the examples you gave, would rise as well. But to support or encourage Obamacare, which FORCES me to pay for things that I do not believe in or support, and things that actually destroy my ability to earn an income, like the medical devices tax, is an exceedingly one sided viewpoint.
I'm with Bitter on this. When folks like myself are paying $ 1,500 - $ 2,500 per month for health care, while illegal immigrants and others who are able to work but choose not to, get free health care, you can't blame folks for getting upset about it.
Just some guy's opinion.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I realize these aren't directly the administration, but these all have been said to be supported by the administration, directly or indirectly.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... e-bill/367
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... te-bill/59
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... se-bill/38
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... e-bill/446
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... -bill/1045

There's this
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... 41be3d42b5
The 9th Circuit case was ready for oral argument on March 6. But on March 2, the Corps filed a request to remove the oral argument from the calendar and to put the case into mediation. The motion explained: “The Army Corps of Engineers is reconsidering the firearms policy challenged in this case, as well as plaintiffs’ requests for permission to carry firearms on Army Corps property. This reconsideration has the potential to fully resolve plaintiffs’ objections.”
Oh, and

The infighting can kill all of this though.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

Mxrdad wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:
philip964 wrote: What Obamacare did do, that I am personally aware of, was that it allowed two friends who were uninsurable to get health insurance for the first time in awhile. One had a seizure during college while she was under her parents insurance. The other developed diabetes while on Cobra after changing careers.

A simple repeal of Obamacare would have left both these friends out in the cold again. There were most likely millions of people like them. Everyone of them would have been a tragic story in the news, if it was simply repealed.
While those are compelling tragic stories, they do not give the government the right to tax everyone, against their free will, to provide for those people. Stop taxing those of us and to paraphrase your words, "millions of people like us", many of us who continue to go to work each and every day regardless of health constraints, and instead make it easier for those folks you know to obtain and pay for their own care. And BTW, if taxes were lowered, voluntary contributions to legal charities, many of which can help people like those in the examples you gave, would rise as well. But to support or encourage Obamacare, which FORCES me to pay for things that I do not believe in or support, and things that actually destroy my ability to earn an income, like the medical devices tax, is an exceedingly one sided viewpoint.
I'm with Bitter on this. When folks like myself are paying $ 1,500 - $ 2,500 per month for health care, while illegal immigrants and others who are able to work but choose not to, get free health care, you can't blame folks for getting upset about it.
If looking at things from a purely political standpoint (as opposed to my biblical worldview) I can understand the frustration about increased premiums as a result of the ACA. That being said, I've yet to see anything about the AHCA being able to reduce premiums from any news source. I've actually seen quite the opposite. Does anyone have any reliable source they can share that would offer a ray of hope regarding the current AHCA lowering the cost of health care for those of us that have to pay for it themselves?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 253

Post by mojo84 »

The AHCA will do nothing to help. It is a case of doing something just so they can say they did. It may even make things worse since it keeps quite a bit of the ACA laws and eliminates others. A partial repeal may be worse than a full repeal.

One thing Obama was right about, you can't cover everybody if everybody doesn't participate. There in lies the problem. Not everyone will participate voluntarily and it's not government's job to make them.

Also, as I've said before many times, nothing they propose will reduce the cost of care. Cost of care is what drives the insurance premiums.

Government needs to get out of the way in the healthcare industry as well as the insurance industry. Tinkering with how to pay outrageous costs will not help.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

apvonkanel wrote:
Mxrdad wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:

If looking at things from a purely political standpoint (as opposed to my biblical worldview) I can understand the frustration about increased premiums as a result of the ACA. That being said, I've yet to see anything about the AHCA being able to reduce premiums from any news source. I've actually seen quite the opposite. Does anyone have any reliable source they can share that would offer a ray of hope regarding the current AHCA lowering the cost of health care for those of us that have to pay for it themselves?
I don't think so, as it doesnt exist as far as I can tell. It would be nice if someone could find it, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if they could. The only glimmer of hope is when the Repubs say this is phase 1 of phase 3. I still dont know what that means but I think they are referring to a full repeal, but I could be mistaken. The ultimate outcome would be to have the Gov't stay the "heck" out of it but I dont know if that will ever happen. In the meantime, folks like us are just expected to keep sending the checks every month. GGGRRR.
Just some guy's opinion.

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

mojo84 wrote:The AHCA will do nothing to help. It is a case of doing something just so they can say they did. It may even make things worse since it keeps quite a bit of the ACA laws and eliminates others. A partial repeal may be worse than a full repeal.

One thing Obama was right about, you can't cover everybody if everybody doesn't participate. There in lies the problem. Not everyone will participate voluntarily and it's not government's job to make them.

Also, as I've said before many times, nothing they propose will reduce the cost of care. Cost of care is what drives the insurance premiums.

Government needs to get out of the way in the healthcare industry as well as the insurance industry. Tinkering with how to pay outrageous costs will not help.
Sadly, I agree.
Just some guy's opinion.

apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

The only problem I see with a totally free market for healthcare is it doesn't solve the issue of price fixing. Certain levels of healthcare are a vital necessity, something I've never heard any rational individual dispute. ACA lead to more price fixing, with a federal handout to those that couldn't afford the outrageous costs. Those of us that DID pay for our own health insurance were effectively penalized for doing so. However, I fail to see where a fully free market will solve that problem.

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

Vote just got postponed. There's talk of them pulling the bill.

ETA: Ryan pulling the bill therefore making the bill dead.
Just some guy's opinion.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 253

Post by mojo84 »

Leon Lett of politics.

Republicans are two divided to govern effectively. Sad state of affairs.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Does pulling it before vote completely kill it or can it be considered later?

I can't say that I am surprised. There's no compromise to be had between the parties or within the parties.

apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

Via CNN: "Ryan told fellow Republicans they are 'moving on' from health care"

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Pass the hearing protection act. That one should be easy!

Return to “Off-Topic”