Today in Trump's 1st term as President

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 213

Re: Today in Trump's new term as President

Post by bblhd672 »

jason812 wrote: There is not a problem with the amount of money going to the government, there is a problem with government spending.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Spending is/has been out of control for decades and both parties are responsible.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 58

Post by anygunanywhere »

bblhd672 wrote:
jason812 wrote: There is not a problem with the amount of money going to the government, there is a problem with government spending.
Spending is/has been out of control for decades and both parties are responsible.
In reality there is only one party. Them. The Washington elite. Dem or republican, no difference.

Us vs them.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 35

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

philip964 wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:
philip964 wrote:http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-t ... story.html

Yesterday Trump gave a speech about his new federal tax overhaul, to make the tax code simpler, more fair, to stimulate the economy, make America great again and to give everyone a reduction in taxes. Sounds great.

With every change in the tax code, there will be winners and losers. Someone will pay more taxes. Someone will pay less taxes.

He proposed eliminating the death tax. So if you have an estate greater than 5 million dollars you would be a winner. I would assume if you earn income you would be a loser as someone has to make up the difference. That is unless the government just plans to borrow more.

He proposed eliminating the property tax deduction. So if you own a home, you will be a loser.

In the illustration in the news article above, if you pay State income tax or pay sales taxes like in Texas, you will be a loser.

Supposedly the middle class per his speech will pay less. I'm in the middle class, but it looks like, since I itemize my deductions, I will be a loser.

As it normally is, when someone talks about reforming the tax code, it means my taxes will go up.
So I take it you wouldn't benefit from the doubling of the standard deduction? Or are you just leaving out pieces of the picture "because Trump"?
I will be a loser in the new tax plan. When someone buys a house it is normally a lifetime decision. You usually count on tax laws that have been in place for your lifetime when you make that decision. It messes up with your plan when the President decides to change the rules.

By eliminating the local and state income, property tax and sales tax deductions, but keeping the interest deduction, while at the same time doubling the itemized deduction, the President will make owning a home less attractive. Especially for starter homes. It will make renting a home more attractive. Home prices should then decline as less people will buy a home as a tax avoidance plan. It will however be a good thing for investors to buy homes to rent. I should be a big help to landlords, which is what Trump did before he became President.

Don't we really want a country of renters rather than country of home owners.

What I think would be interesting would be if we applied the same rules to businesses and corporations. Do not allow businesses and corporations to deduct their local and state taxes.

After all wouldn't that be fair.

Or we can continue with the trend of allowing businesses and corporations to have deductions that individuals do not get, all in the name of simplification of the tax code.
I don't know about you but like other posters I don't care to continue to subsidize people who choose to live in regions where comparable homes are three and four times the value of more sensible parts of the country.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 23

Post by ninjabread »

philip964 wrote:I will be a loser in the new tax plan. When someone buys a house it is normally a lifetime decision.
Census data shows approximately a third of homeowners have been in their house more than ten years. The median time is 6-7 years. Maybe buying a house was a lifetime decision when marriage was a lifetime decision and most people lived within 50 miles of their parents and grandparents.
philip964 wrote:You usually count on tax laws that have been in place for your lifetime when you make that decision. It messes up with your plan when the President decides to change the rules.
That's a problem when changing any laws, isn't it?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Eliminate income and property taxes. Replace with consumption tax... done.
:leaving
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

bblhd672 wrote:
:iagree: :iagree:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by bigtek »

The system is long overdue for a reboot.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 23

Post by ninjabread »

bigtek wrote:The system is long overdue for a reboot.
DEL DC:*.*

COPY CONSTITUTION DC:

SHUTDOWN /R
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1534

Post by philip964 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

In other Presidential news. Trump tweets back against leftist San Jaun mayor.

After a slow start on Puerto Rico disaster aid, Trump doubles down. Funniest thing if there is humor in the disaster was that the mayor used a back drop of pallitized food for her tirade on their need for help.

There is real suffering in Puerto Rico, but with the political battle that's going on its hard to get a real picture. I'm hearing they can't get the aid to where it's needed as the truckers are striking for more money. But I don't know if that's true or fake news.

And then there is this!https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconserv ... -help/amp/
Last edited by philip964 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aunt Eva
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Aunt Eva »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Eliminate income and property taxes. Replace with consumption tax... done.
I wish Texas would do this even if we can't get it at the national level.

rotor
Posts in topic: 68

Post by rotor »

Aunt Eva wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:Eliminate income and property taxes. Replace with consumption tax... done.
I wish Texas would do this even if we can't get it at the national level.
Isn't that the sales tax? There is no limit to how much government will tax us no matter what we call it. They will raise it forever.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 106

Post by Pawpaw »

philip964 wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

In other Presidential news. Trump tweets back against leftist San Jaun mayor.

After a slow start on Puerto Rico disaster aid, Trump doubles down. Funniest thing if there is humor in the disaster was that the mayor used a back drop of pallitized food for her tirade on their need for help.

There is real suffering in Puerto Rico, but with the political battle that's going on its hard to get a real picture. I'm hearing they can't get the aid to where it's needed as the truckers are striking for more money. But I don't know if that's true or fake news.

And then there is this!https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconserv ... -help/amp/
Other Puerto Rican Mayor: Trump Has Been Great, San Juan's Mayor Has Been AWOL
The Washington Examiner reported earlier today that the mayor of Guaynabo, Puerto Rico criticized neighboring San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz for "playing politics" after Hurricane Maria. He also praised President Trump for his hurricane recovery coordination efforts.

Guaynabo Mayor Angel Perez Otero says that Mayor Yulin Cruz has been a no show at coordination meetings between FEMA, U.S. military officials, and Puerto Rican leaders.

==SNIP==

FEMA administrator Brock Long told CNN today that "the problem that we have with [Yulin Cruz] unfortunately is that unity of command is ultimately what’s needed to be successful in this response"and “what we need is for the mayor, the good mayor, to make her way to the joint field office and get plugged into what’s going on and be successful."
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.c ... d=50186881

Two days ago Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price was forced to resign after running up a 400k private jet bill. Some trips included sightseeing etc.

I guess draining the swamp includes some of your own people.

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 13

Post by bigtek »

Any incumbents who want my vote had better start making progress on draining the swamp.

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Strike a match and see who's missin'

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatod ... 742936001/

Trump demands equal time to answer late night talk show hosts. Hosts reply.

Trump visited Puerto Rico and Las Vegas. I thought did a great job in a difficult situation.

I've just really stopped watching network television.

I get my news from the internet, cable has many choices that fit my tastes. Plus I have lots of movies to watch on VUDU Netflix and Amazon Prime.

The networks and NFL have decided they really don't want me as a viewer, so I have gone cold turkey and just don't watch. When they close up it will be their fault, not mine.

Return to “Off-Topic”