Old school carry!!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Old school carry!!

Post by cmgee67 »

I am surprised nobody has said a spear due to the walking stick ability the reach it provides and if your like darth mall you can be extra deadly

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

cmgee67 wrote:I am surprised nobody has said a spear due to the walking stick ability the reach it provides and if your like darth mall you can be extra deadly
A sarissa anyone? :biggrinjester: Only I prefer a poniard....
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

A rapier and a main gauche.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vol Texan »

C-dub wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:Lots of nice choices here - many of which likely embrace the cultural heritage of the poster(s).

Keeping with that theme... I'm Italian, so my choice would to have one of these with me at all times.
Luca's kinda big to carry around. Fortunately, he can walk on his own.
Agreed. I had the same idea in the army. No need to carry my gun, when I can ride around in it.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

I used to say that even thought the pen may be mightier than the sword, I choose to carry both.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:A Roman gladius would be my choice. Certainly not a French rapier!!! :smilelol5: We can pick on the French in multiple centuries.

Chas.
I agree. A gladius, supplemented with a puglio, would make an excellent EDC choice. There are other such combinations, like a katana and a wakizashi for instance. It's no accident that sword bearing cultures often developed both a short and medium length sword to be carried together. The great weakness of a longer sword is that if your opponent gets inside of your swing, you're finished......unless you've got a BUS (Backup Sword). The medium and short swords are more like stabbing weapons for close in work. Come to think of it, the cutlas might make an interesting choice also, backed up by a big ol' Bowie knife. Hmmmm...........
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Spartan dory, xiphos, kopis, and a good bow.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Aloha Snackbar

Post by Aloha Snackbar »

I already carry a 5" tanto style fixed blade as a backup, so probably a wakizashi since I'm not samurai.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Cane-wielding Good Samaritan thwarts attack on bus driver

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/31/ca ... river.html
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Archery1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Archery1 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Archery1 wrote:I would save the bow for another purpose. It's an offense weapon and sorry defense weapon. The guy with the big knife will chop you to pieces long before he died from puncture wound. Might as well meet him with even chance.
Your assuming the attacker can actually get to you. Throughout history, bows have been used as effective defensive weapons as long as the archer had the advantage of cover or physical separation such as defending a wall of some sort.

If we can have both, why wouldn't that be everyone's answer? Is this a trick question?
Yes, assuming the attacker is upon you, which means, my carry is for that. Not the guy out in the far away, away from my immediate concern. For me, that's where defensive means at me, at hand. In the days of old, the archers slowed down, agitated, and maimed/killed before the knife/sword fighters got hand to hand, the inevitable battle ending. Even the horseback archers were more diversion than elimination, darting in and out of lines and keeping the knife fight off balance. One well placed arrow at close range is still a long time away from a knife or sword, not to mention minutes before he even cares, when the attacker is upon you.

Now, if we are going to square off at 50 or 60 yards first? Give me my bow AND my bare feet :)

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I agree. A gladius, supplemented with a puglio, would make an excellent EDC choice. There are other such combinations, like a katana and a wakizashi for instance. It's no accident that sword bearing cultures often developed both a short and medium length sword to be carried together.
When I lived in the Philippines and studied Arnis, back before it really showed up in the U.S., the system I was taught was referred to as "Espada y Daga," literally, "sword and dagger" ("Olisi y Baraw" in Cebuano dialects). It was the 16th century Spanish Conquistadors (notably using cutlass-like swords, not rapiers as did the Spanish gentry in Europe) who influenced this, with the Filipinos adapting and melding methods into their native fighting techniques. The two are taught to be used first in tandem; the shorter weapon, in the non-dominant hand, used for both offense and defense (blocking and trapping) at close-range (corto) distances. The instructional theory, dating back some 400 years, is that if you're taught to use both simultaneously--which is a bit intricate given the different structure and primary purpose of each--you are also learning to employ either the sword or knife separately, if needed.

Some of the Espada y Daga influence may also have come to the Philippines from Japan, albeit later than the Conquistadors. Use of a katana and wakizashi or tanto simultaneously as a standard part of swordsmanship was not traditionally taught. The legendary Miyamoto Musashi was considered a radical when he decided, in the early 17th century, that the traditional way of deploying a katana, always with two hands on the hilt (tsuka), was inflexible, limited side-to-side reach, and was far less practical on horseback than training to use it with one hand. He eventually called his system Niten Ichi Ryu (two different heavens as one), and used a katana and wakizashi (or tanto)--or even two katanas--at the same time. He even incorporated specific techniques to throw the short sword or knife during a fight.

And speaking of the samurai, horse culture and use of the bow were every much as integral as the sword. So, to the OP, if we have no firearms I'll also assume we have no internal combustion engines, or similar. In which case, I gotta go with Musashi and the samurai: a good horse, a good bow, and good long and short swords.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Skiprr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I agree. A gladius, supplemented with a puglio, would make an excellent EDC choice. There are other such combinations, like a katana and a wakizashi for instance. It's no accident that sword bearing cultures often developed both a short and medium length sword to be carried together.
When I lived in the Philippines and studied Arnis, back before it really showed up in the U.S., the system I was taught was referred to as "Espada y Daga," literally, "sword and dagger" ("Olisi y Baraw" in Cebuano dialects). It was the 16th century Spanish Conquistadors (notably using cutlass-like swords, not rapiers as did the Spanish gentry in Europe) who influenced this, with the Filipinos adapting and melding methods into their native fighting techniques. The two are taught to be used first in tandem; the shorter weapon, in the non-dominant hand, used for both offense and defense (blocking and trapping) at close-range (corto) distances. The instructional theory, dating back some 400 years, is that if you're taught to use both simultaneously--which is a bit intricate given the different structure and primary purpose of each--you are also learning to employ either the sword or knife separately, if needed.

Some of the Espada y Daga influence may also have come to the Philippines from Japan, albeit later than the Conquistadors. Use of a katana and wakizashi or tanto simultaneously as a standard part of swordsmanship was not traditionally taught. The legendary Miyamoto Musashi was considered a radical when he decided, in the early 17th century, that the traditional way of deploying a katana, always with two hands on the hilt (tsuka), was inflexible, limited side-to-side reach, and was far less practical on horseback than training to use it with one hand. He eventually called his system Niten Ichi Ryu (two different heavens as one), and used a katana and wakizashi (or tanto)--or even two katanas--at the same time. He even incorporated specific techniques to throw the short sword or knife during a fight.

And speaking of the samurai, horse culture and use of the bow were every much as integral as the sword. So, to the OP, if we have no firearms I'll also assume we have no internal combustion engines, or similar. In which case, I gotta go with Musashi and the samurai: a good horse, a good bow, and good long and short swords.
We have GOT to have a beer together some day. I could talk about this stuff all day long. I've got to get down to Houston sometime this spring to talk to the French consulate there about obtaining my French passport. Maybe we can have dinner or something.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

grnamin

Post by grnamin »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:bo staff and katana. gives you a range of options from "bruise and confuse" to "slice and dice".
I'd amend that to naginata and katana. :)

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:We have GOT to have a beer together some day. I could talk about this stuff all day long. I've got to get down to Houston sometime this spring to talk to the French consulate there about obtaining my French passport. Maybe we can have dinner or something.
If we can pull that together, I'd love to do it. But not if you only speak French to me. You start stringin' paragraphs together in French, I'm outta there and you're stuck with the bill. ;-)
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Skiprr wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:We have GOT to have a beer together some day. I could talk about this stuff all day long. I've got to get down to Houston sometime this spring to talk to the French consulate there about obtaining my French passport. Maybe we can have dinner or something.
If we can pull that together, I'd love to do it. But not if you only speak French to me. You start stringin' paragraphs together in French, I'm outta there and you're stuck with the bill. ;-)
:smilelol5: I promise not too. I'm a little ashamed of it, myself.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”