Lefty Protests; masks illegal in most Southern states

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nonleg
Posts in topic: 2

Lefty Protests; masks illegal in most Southern states

Post by nonleg »

So I'm a little confused why I haven't seen a ton of arrests at Milo's events at Berkley, etc. Everyone may not be aware,but the wearing of masks is usually a crime in southern states, mainly as an attempt to shut down the Klan. In Louisiana, it's prohibited except for "Mardi Gras festivities."

Yet no one is arrested, even in the act of committing an explicit crime. :rules:

CALIFORNIA Penal Code Section 182-185 (False whiskers, what?)
185. Section One Hundred and Eighty-five. It shall be unlawful for any person to wear any mask, false whiskers, or any personal disguise (whether complete or partial) for the purpose of: One--Evading or escaping discovery, recognition, or identification in the commission of any public offense. Two--Concealment, flight, or escape, when charged with, arrested for, or convicted of, any public offense. Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor.

GEORGIA Code Title 16 - Crimes and Offenses,16-11-38.
(a) A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he wears a mask, hood, or device by which any portion of the face is so hidden, concealed, or covered as to conceal the identity of the wearer and is upon any public way or public property or upon the private property of another without the written permission of the owner or occupier of the property to do so.

LOUISIANA

Louisiana RS 14:313

§313. Masks or hoods, wearing in public places prohibited; penalty; exceptions; permit to conduct Mardi Gras festivities, how obtained; wearing of hoods, masks, or disguises or giving of candy or other gifts by sex offenders

A. No person shall use or wear in any public place of any character whatsoever, or in any open place in view thereof, a hood or mask, or anything in the nature of either, or any facial disguise of any kind or description, calculated to conceal or hide the identity of the person or to prevent his being readily recognized.

B. Whoever violates this Section shall be imprisoned for not less than six months nor more than three years.

And this goes on...
Let's not overthink this. Whatever it is.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lefty Protests; masks illegal in most Southern states

Post by Jusme »

If they are not going to make arrests for rioting, arson, assault and destruction of property, what difference does it make to Commifornia officials, what they are wearing while committing those crimes?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

jmra

Post by jmra »

It's an add on charge in La. I lived there for 30 years and never heard of anyone being charged for it. In fact, I've seen more than one Klan march where the participants wore hoods with police all over the place. Didn't seem to be an issue.
On the flip side, open carry is legal in La. Do it in NOLA and you will eat pavement.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

From what I've read, the mayor told the police to stand down. It's hard to separate truth from fiction with that whole incident, but after reading a lot of accounts, there seemed to be a lot of police, even in riot gear, on the scene just standing around because they were told to stand down. There has only been one arrest that I've heard of out of the whole thing. I also read that most of the people wearing masks who showed up with pipes, shields, high grade fireworks, and molotovs were part of some opportunistic, anarchist, "antifa" group. They didn't care about the speaker and weren't there to protest, they just showed up to cause chaos where they knew there would be a lot of people protesting already. However, there were people getting pepper sprayed by what appeared to be just actual protesters. Regardless, the whole thing should have been shut down hard by the police, with dozens of arrests, and I'm confident it would have been had they not been ordered to stand down. In case it needs saying, I'm not knocking the cops; they were following orders. Compare Berkeley to the similar NYU protest a day or two later, though, and you'll see how things would have gone down had the police been allowed to do their jobs.

Again, don't quote me on any of this. It comes from a variety of sources, some of which are reliable and some of which aren't. This is just my best understanding of what actually happened as best I can figure. Some of it is probably wrong, but it's what I got.

ETA: Here's an article. I don't know anything about the validity of this website, though.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-0 ... olice-stan
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

stroo

Post by stroo »

Guys in black clothing with black masks and armed with pipes, shields, fireworks and molotov cocktails have shown up at a number of demonstrations since Trump was elected. It seem like the Left has hired a small army of Black Shirts. Kind of scary where this is all going.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

stroo wrote:Guys in black clothing with black masks and armed with pipes, shields, fireworks and molotov cocktails have shown up at a number of demonstrations since Trump was elected. It seem like the Left has hired a small army of Black Shirts. Kind of scary where this is all going.
The party has switched from white hoods to black masks. Same agenda - shut down anyone or any thing they disagree with.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

:confused5

I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:If they are not going to make arrests for rioting, arson, assault and destruction of property, what difference does it make to Commifornia officials, what they are wearing while committing those crimes?
Badabing badaboom!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
nonleg

Post by nonleg »

jmra wrote:It's an add on charge in La.
On the flip side, open carry is legal in La. Do it in NOLA and you will eat pavement.
First place I OC'd, at a gas station in Denham Springs I think :) . Eating pavement while trying to order a sammich at Chik Fil A was a common occurrence in most of ATL (mostly east side, Decatur, etc.) I emailed and visited the Decatur clerk so many times I remember her name.. Sheila. "Hi Mr. Joe, I don't have any updates for you!) For those not interested, there was a shall issue rule in GA which was repeatedly violated by metro ATL counties, and the wait limit would be pushed to the max with any excuse possible. Many folks only got licenses issues after lawsuit threats to local judges). Texas is 1000x better than what I dealt with in Fulton County, GA.

Groan... So we have primary offenses for traffic stops that aren't actually dangerous, and the infamous use of Terry stops on people in Georgia, and yet this mess gets a pass? And to the other poster, good point; it's like hate crimes... You killed someone or you didn't, you obviously hated them. Hence, Breaking the window of a Starbucks should stand on its own that it will get you sent to jail. Broken windows worked in NYC, and yet all PCs seem to do is find excuses to *make excuses* as to why it won't work here.

I started college in Ruston, in which the parish was decidedly less tolerant of fun than any place in Louisiana or east Texas. If I walked down the wrong street at the wrong time I'm taking the ride, but if these idiots assault cops with bottle rockets, it's just their angst, which isn't their fault. :mad5 I don't mean to over dramatize this, but after Dallas, how did those Berkeley cops stand tall after having projectiles launched at them repeatedly? Good cops, with a "meh" reaction, but come on. You do that to me while I'm walking with my kid, and we have a serious problem. But if someone got arrested in ATL for stealing a car, and I was walking my dog and there was a crowd, I'd be "carrying at a public gathering" and subject to arrest. Yes, it's happened.

Point being, if that same crowd walked down Peachtree Avenue or MLK blvd in any number of cities there would be tear gas deployed. Destroying private property, not so much. :banghead: Which one results in a legal injury, and which one doesn't?? (IANAL) I appreciate rubber bullets, but that's a potentially lethal response to something that never should have been allowed in the first place under CA statute. I wouldn't want to take one to the grill, but simply spraying these idiots with a fire truck would have prevented that happening.

{still celebrating Falcons decimation, excuse lapses in logic, all is now right with the world}
  • [Moderator note: edited to remove violations of Forum Rules #1 and #3]
Let's not overthink this. Whatever it is.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

What in the world are you trying to say, nonleg? It's hard to follow. I'll admit, I haven't had any coffee yet so it may be just me.

I have a feeling you'll be getting some feedback from a moderator also.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

puma guy wrote:
stroo wrote:Guys in black clothing with black masks and armed with pipes, shields, fireworks and molotov cocktails have shown up at a number of demonstrations since Trump was elected. It seem like the Left has hired a small army of Black Shirts. Kind of scary where this is all going.
The party has switched from white hoods to black masks. Same agenda - shut down anyone or any thing they disagree with.
Or as I like to point out to my SO who was "with her"....

They are the modern equivalent of Hitler's brown shirts. And they are creating little Crystalnachts to oppress and shut down opposing view points.

The party of Slavery and of the Klan hasn't really changed all that much over time.

jmra

Post by jmra »

nonleg wrote:
jmra wrote:It's an add on charge in La.
First place I OC'd, at a gas station in Denham Springs I think :) . Eating pavement while trying to order a sammich at Chik Fil A was a common occurrence in most of ATL (mostly east side, Decatur, etc.) I emailed and visited the Decatur clerk so many times I remember her name.. Sheila. "Hi Mr. Joe, I don't have any updates for you!) For those not interested, there was a shall issue rule in GA which was repeatedly violated by metro ATL counties, and the wait limit would be pushed to the max with any excuse possible. Many folks only got licenses issues after lawsuit threats to local judges). Texas is 1000x better than what I dealt with in Fulton County, GA.

Groan... So we have primary offenses for traffic stops that aren't actually dangerous, and the infamous use of Terry stops on people in Georgia, and yet this mess gets a pass? And to the other poster, good point; it's like hate crimes... You killed someone or you didn't, you obviously hated them. Hence, Breaking the window of a Starbucks should stand on its own that it will get you sent to jail. Broken windows worked in NYC, and yet all PCs seem to do is find excuses to *make excuses* as to why it won't work here.

I started college in Ruston, in which the parish was decidedly less tolerant of fun than any place in Louisiana or east Texas. If I walked down the wrong street at the wrong time I'm taking the ride, but if these idiots assault cops with bottle rockets, it's just their angst, which isn't their fault. :mad5 I don't mean to over dramatize this, but after Dallas, how did those Berkeley cops stand tall after having projectiles launched at them repeatedly? Good cops, with a "meh" reaction, but come on. You do that to me while I'm walking with my kid, and we have a serious problem. But if someone got arrested in ATL for stealing a car, and I was walking my dog and there was a crowd, I'd be "carrying at a public gathering" and subject to arrest. Yes, it's happened.

Point being, if that same crowd walked down Peachtree Avenue or MLK blvd in any number of cities there would be tear gas deployed. Destroying private property, not so much. :banghead: Which one results in a legal injury, and which one doesn't?? (IANAL) I appreciate rubber bullets, but that's a potentially lethal response to something that never should have been allowed in the first place under CA statute. I wouldn't want to take one to the grill, but simply spraying these idiots with a fire truck would have prevented that happening.

{still celebrating Falcons decimation, excuse lapses in logic, all is now right with the world}
  • [Moderator note: edited to remove violations of Forum Rules #1 and #3]
Don't know how it is now but 15 years ago Denham Springs would have been about as polar opposite from NOLA as you can get. I remember stopping at McDonalds when my kids were young enough to stomach such food and was amazed that every employee was clean cut, sharply dressed, and very white. It was like visiting Mayberry. I would assume no one would think twice about some one who fit the mold OC'ing.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Off-Topic”