The State of Texas made a mistake? SAY IT AIN't SO!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mayor
Posts in topic: 4

The State of Texas made a mistake? SAY IT AIN't SO!

Post by mayor »

Made you look.

So, I'm curious as to what some of the most upstanding citizens of the Great State of Texas would do in the following situation.

My youngest son, due to stress or who knows what, failed his provisional driving test. He's a good driver. He parallel parked ok, but bumped the pole behind him because he didn't stop quite in time. Failure... that was first on the test and he didn't get to go any farther.

Today, he received his provisional DL plastic in the mail. Legally he can drive and nobody will be the wiser. I know what I'm going to do, i just wondered what some of the most law abiding citizens in the state would do.

I'll follow up in a couple of months.
thanks

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The State of Texas made a mistake? SAY IT AIN't SO!

Post by ninjabread »

I wonder what status the computer would show if police ran his license.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by flechero »

I would have had him reschedule for another test, the day he failed the original try. In the interim, he would have mastered parallel parking and likely he would have tested again long before the plastic arrived.... Seems like there are details missing.

But to answer your question straight up- I would not let him drive or hold the license. I might hold it vs destroy it until I talked to DPS.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

How did he get his DL after failing the test? The examiner has to sign off on it before they take photo etc.

My son, after hours of practice with me, even going to the DPS office on weekends to use the same parallel parking set up that he would on the test, did exactly the same thing during his first test. He was not allowed to get his DL.
We did more practice, letting go him do it several times on his own, without me in the car, he passed the next week.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

If he received his DL then the instructor passed him. When I took my drivers test in a 1978 Ford LTD 4 door thankfully my instructor didn't make me parallel park that land yacht. I don't think it would have fit anyway.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

When I took my CDL in early 90's I had to parallel park a bus! It ain't easy, but past the first time.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

For some reason, I didn't they they still required parallel parking as part of the test.

I'm okay at it. I've gotten my truck into a few spots my daughter didn't think it would even fit, but did it with minimal adjustments or only one or two to straight in. It seems to be a lost art form since many places are designed so that no one needs to parallel park anymore.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

With the rear view cameras that they have on a lot of the newer cars, parallel parking isn't even a skill anymore.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

mayor wrote:Made you look.

So, I'm curious as to what some of the most upstanding citizens of the Great State of Texas would do in the following situation.

My youngest son, due to stress or who knows what, failed his provisional driving test. He's a good driver. He parallel parked ok, but bumped the pole behind him because he didn't stop quite in time. Failure... that was first on the test and he didn't get to go any farther.

Today, he received his provisional DL plastic in the mail. Legally he can drive and nobody will be the wiser. I know what I'm going to do, i just wondered what some of the most law abiding citizens in the state would do.

I'll follow up in a couple of months.
thanks
Verify status of license with DPS. Retest if needed. 7 of my ten children have taken the test. All passed first time. Some better than others. Parallel parking was the issue. Some did not center the car between within the parking space and lost points for that.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
mayor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mayor »

flechero wrote:I would have had him reschedule for another test, the day he failed the original try. In the interim, he would have mastered parallel parking and likely he would have tested again long before the plastic arrived.... Seems like there are details missing.

But to answer your question straight up- I would not let him drive or hold the license. I might hold it vs destroy it until I talked to DPS.
what details would you like? he was in a '67 ford fairlane, parallel parked, bumped a pole, failed and received his license in the mail yesterday.

he'd already scheduled to retake the driving test. somebody goofed.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

mayor wrote:
flechero wrote:I would have had him reschedule for another test, the day he failed the original try. In the interim, he would have mastered parallel parking and likely he would have tested again long before the plastic arrived.... Seems like there are details missing.

what details would you like? he was in a '67 ford fairlane, parallel parked, bumped a pole, failed and received his license in the mail yesterday.

The detail I would like is ... how did you get a young person to take the test in such an un-cool car?? My most recent new driver was going to use my 2016 Altima with backup camera, but my wife had to take it to visit her mother in the hospital. He ended up using my 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. Not as un-cool as a '67 Fairlane, but still pretty high on the "I wouldn't be caught dead driving that" list. :biggrinjester:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

oljames3 wrote:
mayor wrote:

The detail I would like is ... how did you get a young person to take the test in such an un-cool car?? My most recent new driver was going to use my 2016 Altima with backup camera, but my wife had to take it to visit her mother in the hospital. He ended up using my 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. Not as un-cool as a '67 Fairlane, but still pretty high on the "I wouldn't be caught dead driving that" list. :biggrinjester:
You don't remember what a 67 Fairlane looked like.
"rlol"
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

I'm 30 now, didn't have to take a driving test at all. Took drivers Ed and I think we might have had to parallel park, I can still do it but with my truck that is an absolute last option.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:You don't remember what a 67 Fairlane looked like.
"rlol"

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The '67 Fairlane was a grandma/grandpa car to us back in the day. To young people today, they are cool.

Recently, I was talking to a millennial and I mentioned that I used to have a '62 Falcon. He got all excited and said, "Oh man!!! Those were such cool cars!!!" I was like :shock: .
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Off-Topic”