Trimming Nails on Wooden Privacy Fence

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Trimming Nails on Wooden Privacy Fence

Post by troglodyte »

until the contractor was gone.
Sounds like you need to contact the contractor. It certainly could be considered a liability if someone were to fall into it.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Acronym Esq wrote:
WTR wrote:Easier to nail a 1x4 over the nails.
That's a clever solution. I think we're talking 120' long (so times 2 for top and bottom). I'll price it.
carlson1 wrote:I also would not consider a dremel I would use a grinder instead. As WTR said about the the 1X4 it would solve the problem of having to pick up all the nails you have to grind off.
I hadn't thought of an angle grinder. Very good suggestion. I think these tips are about a quater inch long. I don't know if they will grind down quickly. Maybe they are ferrous and I can use one of those roofing magnets to clean the tips up.
Lynyrd wrote:I have paid for 1/2 of a couple of privacy fences that acted as a border between two houses. If you didn't pay half, I can't see why you are upset. Do you have some kind of running feud with this neighbor?
I paid for half. Didn't notice the iron maiden until the contractor was gone. No feud. I feel like this is a simple problem I can just solve w/o bringing her into it. She won't be able to fix it any easier than I can. If I talk to her, there's a good chance she'll interpret it as a complaint.
TreyHouston wrote:I made a fence gate and had the same problem. I used my cheap grinder and was done VERY FAST. It did not affect the strength of the gate at all.
So did you use a cutting or grinding blade? This angle grinder solution is brilliant. I'm so glad I asked you guys.
Russell wrote:We kind of have the same situation, only I'm the lady in your scenario (lol) and I *did* make an effort to try to not buy screws that are too long... I know I'd be having a stern talking to the neighbors if they started cutting off the tips of my screws, leading to the fence falling apart much quicker should they back themselves out over time.
Yea, I don't think she did it on purpose. I'll take your suggestion to keeping the communication open. I feel like it will be less confrontational if I have a solution ready to go and just let her know I'm doing it without asking for anything other than permission from her.

Acronym 2/10/2017 2:12 PM
Harbor Freight 4-1/2" Angle grinder coupon $11.99. Comes with at least one disk which should be enough.
http://www.harborfreight.com/#
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

I don't understand how nails would be exposed if the fence was built properly. If the fence slates are nailed to a 2x4 that is laying flat and not on edge......you got screwed.

cirus

Post by cirus »

I'm glad I live in the country. My closest neighbor is 150 yards away.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

That's still in range.
:leaving
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

flechero

Post by flechero »

THis^^^^

We call em' nippers, and you can get good ones for less than the "blue handles" cost, although I really like channel lock. They cut well and almost flush, without too much effort.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

cirus wrote:I'm glad I live in the country. My closest neighbor is 150 yards away.
THAT's what you call "in the country"? :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lynyrd »

cirus wrote:I'm glad I live in the country. My closest neighbor is 150 yards away.
:iagree: :thumbs2: Ain't it nice. My closest is about 1/2 mile.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TreyHouston »

Using the angle grinder will go RELLY QUICK. And you might have a little fun! Ya, you will leave some marks on the fence... didnt bother be, it turns brown just like every other fence!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I paid for half. Didn't notice the iron maiden until the contractor was gone. No feud. I feel like this is a simple problem I can just solve w/o bringing her into it. She won't be able to fix it any easier than I can. If I talk to her, there's a good chance she'll interpret it as a complaint.

(some of the money was yours) Which means you have skin in the game even before you rub up against the fence. Document thru photographs/video (walk down the fence line to show the extent of the exposed tips) the unsafe condition created. Complain to the local Better Business Bureau and google reviews against the contractor. If you fix the condition yourself, document your time and equipment/supply expenses involved. Take a leaf from the "It's for the children" handbook. It doesn't matter if you don't have any; if this is the way that contractor habitually does stuff, there's a yard full of kids playing somewhere who will blunder up against one of his booby traps.

Or, complain to the contractor first, and hold the two options above in reserve.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

rotor

Post by rotor »

Technically, who owns the fence? If it is on her property even if you split expenses you need to talk to her before "destroying" her fence. I personally think the contractor should repair this.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

TreyHouston wrote:I made a fence gate and had the same problem. I used my cheap grinder and was done VERY FAST. It did not affect the strength of the gate at all.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200641716

comes with wheel also.

(messing with someones yard is also not cool though....
Wow, that is a cheap grinder. Thanks for posting!
NRA Endowment Member

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

WildBill wrote:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200641716

comes with wheel also.

(messing with someones yard is also not cool though....
Wow, that is a cheap grinder. Thanks for posting!
For those of us that use it 5 times a year it is a great buy!!! No reason to buy "contractor grade" for hobbyists! Geez! I love that store!! They have great deals on nail and finishing guns too! Sorry, no real guns!

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

rotor wrote:Technically, who owns the fence? If it is on her property even if you split expenses you need to talk to her before "destroying" her fence. I personally think the contractor should repair this.
Can you explain how breaking or grinding the exposed end of a nail compromises the integrity of the project? The exposed end should have no impact on the holding or compression of the wood. Not being rude, i have been wrong many times before!

rotor

Post by rotor »

TreyHouston wrote:
rotor wrote:Technically, who owns the fence? If it is on her property even if you split expenses you need to talk to her before "destroying" her fence. I personally think the contractor should repair this.
Can you explain how breaking or grinding the exposed end of a nail compromises the integrity of the project? The exposed end should have no impact on the holding or compression of the wood. Not being rude, i have been wrong many times before!
Does there have to be logic here? If it is her fence you have no business making any changes without her OK. You just don't start chopping away at someone's property. I am not saying that cutting the nails would harm the fence but the "owner" of the fence is the one the OP needs to deal with. The other issue is that even though the OP went in on the fence unless it is exactly on the property line one of them owns that fence. If the OP owns it then go cut those nails but since the spikes are on his side most likely he does not own the fence. Get the OK from the owner to cut those nails or get the contractor out to fix the job.

Return to “Off-Topic”