Gander Mountain Bankruptcy

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Gander Mountain Bankruptcy

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

By the way, retailers of B/M stores hate the practice called "showrooming."

That is what it's called when shoppers come to a B/M site to check out
their purchase in person, then go home and buy the item online from some
different source.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

warnmar10 wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:Sears stays in business by repeatedly going through bankruptcy reorganization and writing off their debts. ...
When did Sears file for bankruptcy?
I stand corrected. There is a lot of speculation, but it looks like they have not filed as of now.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Russell wrote:I'm sure they do! I would hate it too if I was a store owner/manager.

But they limit themselves to two very tiny population segments when they aren't willing to at least price match major online retailers. The crowd that doesn't do online shopping, and the crowd that needs it *now*.
The problem for retailers is that the non-online shopping crowd is shrinking, and the "need it now" crowd really doesn't apply at all to a lot of merchandise. Mainly it's just food and similar.

The point is that retailers, like everyone else, need to provide something that folks are willing to pay for. They cannot compete on cost with an online retailer that does not need cashiers, sales clerks, loss prevention, display stands, buildings, etc.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jusme »

A B&M retailer can't compete with on-line companies, so they need to have above and beyond customer service, to give the one thing the on-line folks can't give. I can't speak for all GM stores, but the sales clerks I have spoken with in the three stores I have visited, are not well informed, seem unconcerned with getting the customer what they are looking for, and are mostly absent. On my last visit, my wife, son and I walked through the entire gun accessory department looking at ammo, cleaning kits, etc. and not one time did I see a sales clerk. There were three or four in the clothing department, but none in shoes, camping gear, or anywhere else. The ones that were there seemed like they were just waiting for their shift to end, no smiles, no asking if we needed help finding anything, nothing. If they are not going to be price competitive, or have great customer service, they are doomed for failure.

As I said, the shopping center, around the Arlington store, was packed with people, so going to the store is not an issue with the customer base in that area. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

The "Free Enterprise System" means you have the freedom to succeed or fail.

I'm buying more and more online. Better for my budget.

I will and still do buy in a B&M store (Cabelas) if they provide good customer service. At this store I've bought one rifle, a number of different ammo and some boots.

I was in this same local Cabelas store and one of the sales clerks was willing to help me initially, but the next time I asked him a question he seemed annoyed, like there was diminishing good will if I asked more than one question ...and no, I wasn't "that guy" i.e., the non-stop bothersome customer...my 2 total questions were direct and short. The funny thing was there were quite a number of sales clerks behind the gun counter where I was in the vicinity of, appearing to be having a pow-wow behind the counter. Perhaps, it was a meeting or gossip/joke time... Hey, if you have to have a meeting go where customers won't bother you....sheeesh!

The jury's still out if I'll go back...or buy all I need online.

I really don't need undisguised annoyance from the sales staff.

I get enough of that from "She Who Must..."

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I support local when I can. But I won't pay 2-3 times local for what I can buy online if I can help it.
I prefer instant gratification, helping the local economy, and seeing what I buy before I buy it.

Last weekend I was looking for a guitar stand. I needed two. I found two, one was marked at $20. Online it was $12. with shipping and the wait, I decided I wanted to buy it local. The other was $35. I could buy it online for $16. I opted to buy it online. Local stores should be aware of the online market and price accordingly. If they don't, they have no one to blame but themselves for the Showroom shoppers.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

B&M stores better prove themselves or for the most part, they'll go the way of the buggy whip sales when cars came into being...

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Gander Mountain makes it official, files for bankruptcy

http://www.ammoland.com/2017/03/gander- ... z4b19VqWIu
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mupepe

Post by mupepe »

clarionite wrote:I support local when I can. But I won't pay 2-3 times local for what I can buy online if I can help it.
I prefer instant gratification, helping the local economy, and seeing what I buy before I buy it.

Last weekend I was looking for a guitar stand. I needed two. I found two, one was marked at $20. Online it was $12. with shipping and the wait, I decided I wanted to buy it local. The other was $35. I could buy it online for $16. I opted to buy it online. Local stores should be aware of the online market and price accordingly. If they don't, they have no one to blame but themselves for the Showroom shoppers.
This is me. I love instant gratification on my purchased so I an willing to spend a bit extra if it goes to support local folks and I get it sooner. Win/win. I started shopping at best buy again when they started price matching Amazon. Guns just seem to be outrageously out of whack most of the time and the folks that work in so many locations tend to be of a certain unpleasant variety. $100 more is generally my limit on guns and its hard to find somewhere that comes that close to online prices. More than that and I think of ammo or reloading supplies and then the tax on top of it!

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

The Waco store is on the hit list. Not at all surprised, I always went to Cabelas. Went in to the GM store once, I was the only customer in the middle of the day.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

oohrah wrote:The Waco store is on the hit list. Not at all surprised, I always went to Cabelas. Went in to the GM store once, I was the only customer in the middle of the day.
I wonder if the Tyler store is on the "hit" list? The few times I've stopped there, it seems there were more employees than shoppers and not a whole lot of either. Just askin'.....

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I know the Lubbock store is one of the ten Texas stores on the hit list. I think it was KCBD11 said that Gander Mountain is hoping for a buyer for the stores before they are closed, however the Lubbock store is competing against two academy stores and a Cabela's outpost along with a host of LGS so I doubt there will be a buyer for it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Houston, Killeen, Laredo, Lubbock, Round Rock, San Antonio, Sugar Land, Texarkana, Waco, West Houston
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/reta ... ores-texas
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I was in Frisco the other day looking at a sling, and I've bought powder, brass, primers and bullets from the Frisco location. I'll continue to do so. I like amazon but there is something nice to having the thing I just paid for in hand, now.

Hopefully they can pull through, Frisco is a nice store. I don't get how Sherman stays open though...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “Off-Topic”