Bearding

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bearding

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

mojo84 wrote:About 4 to 5 days is all I can do. Just not man enough to get past the itchy phase.
That one is easy. It is just dead skin that isn't getting removed.

Use an exfoliant or Lava or boraxo. Scrub your face good about once or twice a week until it quits itching.
:evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

KC5AV wrote:I let mine grow for a few months, and then my wife tells me she misses my face. That's her secret code for, "I hate that thing. Shave it off."
I hadn't had mine for about 3 years when I met my wife. After she saw a picture of me with it, she wanted me to grow it back. That was over 20 years ago, I still have it.

I have had a beard for about 30 of the last 33 years.

:thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

I realize I am necromancering, an old thread, but I have decided, to let my inner Toxic Masculinity/Duck Dynasty, freak flag fly.
I have let my beard grow for the last three months. I can't call it salt and pepper because it's more salt than pepper.
I have been trying different beard oils, balms, washes, etc..
I can't say that I have found a major difference in beard oils, aside from the different fragrances. Beard balms, however, are world's apart. Cheaper balms, are heavy with wax, which makes my beard feel heavy, and don't wash out easily. They are harder to emulsify, in my hands, and after a few hours cause my beard to stiffen up, and feel coarse. I won't endorse any one brand over another, simply, because my experience may be different than other's, but if you are new to the beard experience, don't waste your money, trying to save money, on balms. As far as washes, again, soap is soap, I haven't been able to distinguish, one over another, but like with all of these, I have a limited amount of time, and a limited number of products, that I have tried.

I'm not sure why I decided to keep my face away from sharp metal objects for so long, but I do like the results so far, and Mrs. Jusne has either decided, it's not worth arguing about, or that anything that disguises, my appearance is not a bad thing. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 10

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:39 pm I realize I am necromancering, an old thread, but I have decided, to let my inner Toxic Masculinity/Duck Dynasty, freak flag fly.
I have let my beard grow for the last three months. I can't call it salt and pepper because it's more salt than pepper.
I can't say that I have found a major difference in beard oils, aside from the different fragrances. Beard balms, however, are world's apart. Cheaper balms, are heavy with wax, which makes my beard feel heavy, and don't wash out easily. They are harder to emulsify, in my hands, and after a few hours cause my beard to stiffen up, and feel coarse. I won't endorse any one brand over another, simply, because my experience may be different than other's, but if you are new to the beard experience, don't waste your money, trying to save money, on balms. As far as washes, again, soap is soap, I haven't been able to distinguish, one over another, but like with all of these, I have a limited amount of time, and a limited number of products, that I have tried.

I'm not sure why I decided to keep my face away from sharp metal objects for so long, but I do like the results so far, and Mrs. Jusne has either decided, it's not worth arguing about, or that anything that disguises, my appearance is not a bad thing. :mrgreen:
2 words: Moroccan Oil.

A little bit (like 2-3 drops in the palm of your hand, rub hands together, massage into beard) goes a long way. Smells nice without being overpowering. Leaves beard shiny, without feeling greasy in the least. I’ve tried several other products over the years, but Moroccan Oil has been the constant while the others come and go. I don’t bother buying anything else anymore.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Jusme wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:39 pm I realize I am necromancering, an old thread, but I have decided, to let my inner Toxic Masculinity/Duck Dynasty, freak flag fly.

Thanks I'll give it a try.
I have discovered, not that I wasn't pretty much aware, I'll never have a Sam Elliot, or Walter Brimley, type mustache, but the rest of it seems to be growing quite nicely. I'll know more in a few months, whether this will be my new look or not. Of course at my age most people will just assume I forgot to shave, and no one wanted to hurt my feeling by pointing out .:biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

I've been keeping a beard for about 5 years now. I shaved it off for a few months about 4 years ago after getting laid off from one job and applying to the FDA for a few different positions. I also had longish hair that cut off, but is way longer now.

As far as the beard goes, I let it get 3-4 inches long a month or two ago and then cut it back using a #2 guard on my trimmer. It might be 0.5-1 inch long now. The wife likes it this length much better. I do shave my neck and just under the lower lip about an inch and a little on my cheeks. I trim those areas once or twice a week. It varies.

Products? Mostly just the shampoo I use on my head, Dove from Walmart, and Dove conditioner. Specific beard products are very limited. The only thing I use sporadically is also from Walmart. Cremo beard balm and cream. The balm is thicker and not waxy while the cream is very similar to hair conditioner. For both I get the Forest Scent. The wife hasn't said anything about that specifically yet, but I like it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Just for the fun of it.

www.thesun.co.uk/sun-men/8860464/men-be ... -bacteria/
MEN with beards carry more germs than dogs including deadly bacteria in their facial fuzz, a hair-raising study has found.

Researchers discovered that nearly half of all sampled beards hosted bugs dangerous to human health.
:mrgreen:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Studies also show that women find men with beards more attractive and they are healthier.

https://www.elitedaily.com/news/world/w ... attractive

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

C-dub wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:05 pm Studies also show that women find men with beards more attractive and they are healthier.

https://www.elitedaily.com/news/world/w ... attractive

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Touche' :tiphat:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

All the bad stuff is being caught in the beard so the bearded one doesn't get sick as much. It acts as a filter. We just gotta keep the filter clean as often as we can.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

Early on in my active duty career, I promised myself a beard when I was again a civilian. I just did not realize it would take 30+ years to fulfill that promise! I have not shave, except to shape my beard, since my last active duty day in March, 2012. No extra chemicals as that is too much trouble for me.

One of these days, my wife and I will attend the USMC birthday ball with my brother, retired LtC, and his wife. I'll shave for that to follow Army regs for wearing the mess dress uniform.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

KLB

Post by KLB »

Skiprr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:18 pm Image

. . .

The four genetic factors that differentiate most of us from that guy who can look fully bearded in just two weeks are: 1) He has black or very dark brown facial hair. 2) He has a dense follicle pattern; in other words, a lot of individual hairs per square inch. 3) The individual hair shafts are thick; age hurts us there, too, because hair thins as we age. 4) The coverage of hair on his face is pretty complete; no bare patches.
Regrettably for me, my beard is like Keanu Reeves' only worse because my hair is a lighter color. I tried once in my 20s and again after I retired. Both times I let it go several months, but both times the result was unsatisfactory so I've had to content myself with a small mustache.

Return to “Off-Topic”