It seems most crimes are felonies. Is this true?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

It seems most crimes are felonies. Is this true?

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Felony here, felony there. It seems to me that the majority of crimes are felonies.

I can agree that aggravated assault, maiming, armed robbery, rape, and murder should be
felonies (the WORST of crimes).

But it seems like most crimes are felonies, even if they don't involve physical violence.
One example of a felony that seems like it might have been a misdemeanor is the altering of
a government document.

The only misdemeanor crime I know of is the one posted on the outside of 7-11's and other C-stores,
to wit, "The consumption of alcohol on these premises is a crime (misdemeanor)".

It seems to me that many people who might have committed somewhat minor crimes would now be
denied their gun rights due to being a convicted felon.

Let's kick this topic around. Attorney Charles might have the most learned view on this issue.

SIA.
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Jusme

Re: It seems most crimes are felonies. Is this true?

Post by Jusme »

You can look through the Texas Penal Code on line, and you will find all of the classifications for various crimes. The difference between misdemeanor theft, and felony theft are based on the dollar value. Assault can be anything from a class c misdemeanor, to a felony with a possible 99 year jail sentence.
I have never counted the actual number of misdemeanors, in contrast to felonies, but when I was a LEO I made many more misdemeanor arrests than I did felonies.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Keith B

Re: It seems most crimes are felonies. Is this true?

Post by Keith B »

There are tons of misdemeanor offenses. Many are ordinance and local city/county laws and rules. As for the state, as Jusme stated, many offenses have various levels, including assault all the way from Class C to Class A Felony.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Off-Topic”