Password Manager

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
4copas
Posts in topic: 2

Password Manager

Post by 4copas »

I did a search on this subject here and researched what I found. Since the tech world seems to change over night these days, I would like to ask for input and experience from y'all with password managers. We are apple device here at home (IPad-IPhone) if that makes a difference and not the most tech savvy but not backwoods either. We just want to be safe and passwords are getting out of hand. Thanks for any input. :txflag:
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Password Manager

Post by C-dub »

With so many things getting hacked so often I have a difficult time thinking that a password manager type thing would be secure. I do not use any kind of service like that and don't do anything in "the cloud." I have that feature disabled on my phone and all devices. Call me old fashioned.
Last edited by C-dub on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I keep all my passwords in KeePass2: Free opensource software located: http://keepass.info. I also keep mine and my families ID's, bank accounts etc. in it. If you use KeepPass - use version 2 - the professional version (FREE) and not the older version 1. Here is a comparison of the two versions: http://keepass.info/compare.html. It is also portable and can be run without installing it and runs on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.

It isn't stored online so I don't have to worry about it being compromised unless it's something that I have done. It requires a password to open as it is encrypted. There is also an Android app for it - not sure about iPhone. I copy my PC copy to my phone and back up the PC copy elsewhere.

For web browsers I do use the password manager in Firefox for web sites I visit like texaschlforum.com. But I also use a master password for all saved passwords. When I exit Firefox if anyone were to use my browser they would have to know my master password in order to get to a password protected site.
Ron
NRA Member

Odiferous

Post by Odiferous »

I like Keepass. It's not a service, it's an application that stores all of your passwords in a securely encrypted database. You can then combine that with cloud storage like Dropbox or Google Drive to sync it across devices.

Yes, there is risk involved in putting your passwords into one place and/or storing them in cloud storage. It's vastly outweighed, however, by the alternative, which is generally weak passwords and/or password reuse.

Few of us are ever going to be directly targeted by hackers. We're much more likely to have some silly site with crappy security be compromised. Then weak passwords, email addresses, and any other information that site had becomes a new avenue of attack.

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

Check out RoboForm. I have used it for about 3 years now. It is subscription based.
NRA Benefactor Member

Odiferous

Post by Odiferous »

A good series of short videos on internet security:

And a timely article:
https://www.troyhunt.com/password-manag ... aving-one/

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I use RoboForm primarily, and found that LastPass is another good one.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

Rokyudai wrote:Check out RoboForm. I have used it for about 3 years now. It is subscription based.
I have used RoboForm on my PC, Android Tablet, and Android phone, and have no complaints. I pay a small annual fee to have it on all my devices, and it works.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Whatever password manager you use, you should be enabling multi factor authentication on as many things as possible. Also dont use the same password for any site.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I use a system called "prefix/suffix". You memorize a base password that is strong with mixed symbols, and then add a strong suffix unique to each site. I keep the suffixes in a notepad file so I can look them up.

Some will say this is weak because a bad guy can get your pw from a weak site and have your base password, but the key is to also use a strong suffix so the bad guy can't guess it for a different site.

Example: don't use "strongprefix+twitter", use "strongprefix+T$%&3r". You don't have to memorize the suffix, because you can look it up.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I use KeePass 2, storing the database on Dropbox. Accessible from my Apple devices and Windows pc's.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

I use lastpass and am happy with it. I memorize one strong password for lastpass and use it's password generator to give me unique 16 character strong passwords for all my bank, utility, etc. logins.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I use a password manager, but can't remember what it is or the password to get into it...... :roll:

:mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

txpilot

Post by txpilot »

Check out http://www.keepersecurity.com. For one price you get unlimited devices and it supports iOS, Android, and even has a PC plug in for your browser. Of course you can also access it from any web browser - the plug in can automatically fill in your username/password in the web sites. It also includes a password generator for very secure passwords.

They also have a plan that allows up to 5 users with unlimited devices each and sharing of passwords or folders of passwords that you select to share.

Return to “Off-Topic”