Your gun is gonna just GO OFF!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Your gun is gonna just GO OFF!

Post by cmgee67 »

I was talking with a friend of mine the other night and we were talking about the current events and whatever else came up and he said something about smothering being dangerous and used the example of saying " you know you have to be careful it's just like having a loaded pistol sitting on the table you shouldn't mess with it because it could just go off". I heard that and have him the thousand yard stare and he quickly realized how I felt towards that remark and changed the subject quickly. He truly believes pistols can just GO OFF! If that's the case then we might be in trouble and how in the world are we still functioning with workin limbs if they just go off? Surely we would have been blown away by now. He does not know I carry and I keep it that way. I am very private about carrying my firearm unless it's weekends and I OC just about every where but as far as events and other places of hanging out with those you enjoy being around i keep it to myself. I have never actually known anybody personally who believes they can just go off. I have proved that theory wrong over and over everyday by carrying a gun. In my job there is a lot physical activity and hopping over obstacles and sometimes haveing to crawl on the ground and that gun gets as much shock from landing or falling back as I do and it stays perfectly ok.

Has anybody ever told you something like this?

lildave40
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Your gun is gonna just GO OFF!

Post by lildave40 »

cmgee67 wrote:I was talking with a friend of mine the other night and we were talking about the current events and whatever else came up and he said something about smothering being dangerous and used the example of saying " you know you have to be careful it's just like having a loaded pistol sitting on the table you shouldn't mess with it because it could just go off". I heard that and have him the thousand yard stare and he quickly realized how I felt towards that remark and changed the subject quickly. He truly believes pistols can just GO OFF! If that's the case then we might be in trouble and how in the world are we still functioning with workin limbs if they just go off? Surely we would have been blown away by now. He does not know I carry and I keep it that way. I am very private about carrying my firearm unless it's weekends and I OC just about every where but as far as events and other places of hanging out with those you enjoy being around i keep it to myself. I have never actually known anybody personally who believes they can just go off. I have proved that theory wrong over and over everyday by carrying a gun. In my job there is a lot physical activity and hopping over obstacles and sometimes haveing to crawl on the ground and that gun gets as much shock from landing or falling back as I do and it stays perfectly ok.

Does your friend believe gun free zones saves lives too? :drool:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

cmgee67 wrote:I was talking with a friend of mine the other night and we were talking about the current events and whatever else came up and he said something about smothering being dangerous and used the example of saying " you know you have to be careful it's just like having a loaded pistol sitting on the table you shouldn't mess with it because it could just go off". I heard that and have him the thousand yard stare and he quickly realized how I felt towards that remark and changed the subject quickly. He truly believes pistols can just GO OFF! If that's the case then we might be in trouble and how in the world are we still functioning with workin limbs if they just go off? Surely we would have been blown away by now. He does not know I carry and I keep it that way. I am very private about carrying my firearm unless it's weekends and I OC just about every where but as far as events and other places of hanging out with those you enjoy being around i keep it to myself. I have never actually known anybody personally who believes they can just go off. I have proved that theory wrong over and over everyday by carrying a gun. In my job there is a lot physical activity and hopping over obstacles and sometimes haveing to crawl on the ground and that gun gets as much shock from landing or falling back as I do and it stays perfectly ok.

There is still a large contingent of people who through fear, or ignorance believe that a loaded gun is like a powder keg in a forest fire. They have been indoctrinated by the anti-gun crowd, the people who have carelessly handled firearms who had a ND, and possibly parents who wanted to "scare" them away from guns, to believe that a gun will suddenly "go off" with no human intervention, at all. People who have had ND, will often times deny their own culpability, in the cause, due to fear of ridicule, or just simple denial. Not to generalize, or appear sexist, but I have seen this idea most prevalent among women. Like I said, I think it was through other's fears, or misinformation, that they were taught this, and that most females growing up, were not, and still are not, to a large degree, exposed to the safe handling of firearms. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I think that the Eddy Eagle program sorta implies this to very young children. People get it in their heads that if they don't know what they are doing that they shouldn't be touching these things. There's a lot of people playing with these things getting themselves and other people hurt. The people who believe they will go off by themselves aren't the ones blowing holes in their heads demonstrating a manual safety.

People that don't own firearms know what they know only through Hollywood and the MSM.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Imagination is a wonderful, or terrible, thing. Given the anti-gun media bias and the portrayal of firearms use in television and movies, it really isn't too odd to find someone who thinks that guns are more than simple mechanical devices. Since we all recognize that guns -- as tools that project force some distance -- can be dangerous if used inappropriately, someone lacking the knowledge and experience we have can be excused for jumping to the conclusion that guns are inherently quixotic and dangerous. Such folks simply need education.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Imagination is a wonderful, or terrible, thing. Given the anti-gun media bias and the portrayal of firearms use in television and movies, it really isn't too odd to find someone who thinks that guns are more than simple mechanical devices. Since we all recognize that guns -- as tools that project force some distance -- can be dangerous if used inappropriately, someone lacking the knowledge and experience we have can be excused for jumping to the conclusion that guns are inherently quixotic and dangerous. Such folks simply need education.

:iagree:

However, there are so many people out there, who have the attitude, of "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up."

I always enjoy taking people from a fearful state, regarding firearms, to an educated, safety conscious, one. Once they realize, that most of their fears are based on misinformation, and that they can control something that they previously looked at as inherently evil or dangerous, Their level of confidence is greatly enhanced, and can be carried over into other areas where they felt afraid, or uneducated.

But they have to be willing to open their minds, and allow the wall of ignorance, and fear be taken apart.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

There's 3 kinds of snakes that scare me
1. big snakes
2. little snakes
3. sticks that look like snakes

All sticks are dangerous ...
While walking one day I think I saw a stick turn into a snake, you never know when one might just GO OFF and turn into a snake
"don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up."
:lol::

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cmgee67 »

NotRPB wrote:There's 3 kinds of snakes that scare me
1. big snakes
2. little snakes

While walking one day I think I saw a stick turn into a snake, you never know when one might just GO OFF and turn into a snake

That's just like eating salad after eating fried chicken cancels out the bad!

allisji

Post by allisji »

cmgee67 wrote:
1. big snakes
2. little snakes

That's just like eating salad after eating fried chicken cancels out the bad!
This is actually a little bit true right? Like if you eat enough of the salad then your body will absorb less of the bad stuff from the fried chicken. Or maybe it's just a placebo and I feel better about myself after eating some salad.... On a related note, I like the cobb salad from Chic-fil-a. It has the fried chicken patty on it. I dress it with BBQ sauce because I don't care for any salad dressing. I figure that the fried chick and bbq sauce are cancelled out by the lettuce, tomatoes, etc.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I should get off the computer now before it spontaneously explodes.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Before I left the house this morning I gathered all my guns together and had a discussion. They assured me that their design will only cause a bullet to leave the barrel if the trigger is pulled. None of them have had any modifications done to the factory trigger mechanism.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

There are enough people that claim that they dropped their pistol and it just went off to reinforce this idea. Unless there's a mechanical issue with a modern pistol, then it's not going off without something pulling the trigger. I'd lay odds that every one of the claims that a pistol was dropped and went off was actually a case of someone trying to catch a falling pistol and pulling the trigger accidentally.

PitBoss

Post by PitBoss »

1. big snakes
2. little snakes

That's what the pharaoh told Moses....

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Whenever I hear someone talking about a gun "going off", I ask them if they have ever seen a car start itself.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Return to “Off-Topic”