My EDC blade of choice

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My EDC blade of choice

Post by WildBill »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:This seems like a good group to give a knife recommendation.

I am looking for an EDC with a very assisted opening mechanism. I had a knife where I just swipes my thumb down the back and it popped right open. But that knife disappeared. Everything I am finding now that looks similar doesn't pop the blade fully open. Hopefully this makes sense.
This is the H&K OTF Epidemic, a very nice knife. I bought mine from a Forum member.

Last edited by WildBill on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

lama wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:Esee 3 MIL Plain/Straight edge

https://eseeknives.com/knives/esee-knives/esee-3-mil/
How do you carry that? What kind of sheath, holster, clip do you use. Just curious about those who carry fixed blades. Never worked a job where that would be socially acceptable.
I carry it with the standard sheath that comes with the blade and the pocket/belt clip attached - I then wear it either on my belt or more typically in my knife pocket on the front of my pants. Most of the time my shirt covers, but occasionally it'll poke out. Never had anyone react poorly, always more curious about it. Based on the handle, it looks like the blade should be alot longer when all you see is the handle sticking out.

I am looking into finding a nice leather sheath that will allow me to carry it 'scout carry' on the back of my belt... but so far all the ones I found that I like, are worth 2-3x what the knife costs :shock:
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:This seems like a good group to give a knife recommendation.

I am looking for an EDC with a very assisted opening mechanism. I had a knife where I just swipes my thumb down the back and it popped right open. But that knife disappeared. Everything I am finding now that looks similar doesn't pop the blade fully open. Hopefully this makes sense.
I know Kershaw make several. I like the Knockout and it is 100% USA. I have never been able to open the ones with just the thumb assist. I like the knives that have the flip on the back that I can open with my index finger.
kershaw.jpg
kershaw.jpg (3.88 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

My pick is the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 , Black on Black. I started with the more budget friendly Tenacious. Is the Para II worth 3 times the cost of the Chi-Com made Tenacious? Yes it is.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Yes, it makes sense, but I think that with the right knife....assuming you're willing to spend the money for it....you can have a knife that opens even faster without assisted opening.

I have two knives that I carry. One has assisted opening — a Kershaw Ken Onion Tanto Blur. The other does not — a Benchmade 940-2 Osborne. The blade on the Kershaw pops open, but it uses a liner lock, so safety requires two hands to close. (You can do it one handed, but I wouldn't recommend it.) The Benchmade deploys the blade just as quickly, if not faster, with less pressure on the thumb stud to deploy it. It literally just flicks open. Bonus points, the Benchmade uses their AXIS locking mechanism, which allows safe one-handed closing, and the blade almost falls into the the closed position. The Benchmade has almost no friction at the pivot point, so the blade opens and closes like it was on ballbearings or something. Absolutely amazing.

I haven't carried the Kershaw even once since I bought the the Benchmade. The Kershaw Tanto Blue is a great EDC knife. If I had never spent the money on my Benchmade 94-2, I would have been none the wiser. I had carried a Tanto Blur for a number of years, and was never dissatisfied with it. And Benchmade is a pricey brand — my 940-2 costs 2-3 times as much as the Tanto Blur, depending on where you but it. But I am so impressed with Benchmade's quality that I'll likely not buy any another brand of knife again. I'd rather wait a while longer to be able to afford the better knife, for a knife that is heirloom quality.

Right now, I'm looking at adding a Benchmade 183BK Contego fixed blade to the collection. You can spend more on a knife than Benchmade's prices, but I think at that point you're getting deep into the laws of diminishing returns.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Just bought my birthday present from my wife to me. My first Benchmade knife! 4400SBK CASBAH. Black, 1st run numbered out of /700
:thewave
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

swilkes

Post by swilkes »

I have quite a few EDC knives I carry. A couple of custom fixed blade I carry most. And a few case trappers I carry. No matter which one of those I carry I also carry a leather man wave in a leather case while at work and in my 5th pocket when at home. It can be to much while CC.

Return to “Off-Topic”