Texas Illegal Knife Bill unanimously passes out of committee.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Texas Illegal Knife Bill unanimously passes out of committee.

Post by ELB »

To the best of my ability, in the attached Word document I inserted the Dutton amendment changes into CSHB 1935. It was very tedious. I make no claim as to the accuracy of this, nor for its suitability for any purpose. Do not call me for bail money.

I have no idea of this makes it clearer or not. ;-)
Attachments
HB01935H as amended.doc
(45.5 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
USAF 1982-2005

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LucasMcCain »

So if I'm understanding this correctly, there would no longer be strictly illegal knives. There would just be "location restricted" knives. These knives would be illegal to carry into certain places and would pretty much be the same ones that were illegal before. If that's the case, I'm okay with it. If it has any form of increased restrictions as a trade off for decreased restrictions somewhere else, then that's not okay. Am I reading this right?
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

SC1903A3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SC1903A3 »

So when my son comes home on military leave he can carry the Scottish claymore I gave him as a high school graduation present back in 05. ooh, ooh, fixed bayonet on my M1.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

I think I would rather have this bill die than add that much extra junk to the already lengthy texas penal code for something that should just be removing a few lines of it in the first place.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

LucasMcCain wrote:So if I'm understanding this correctly, there would no longer be strictly illegal knives. There would just be "location restricted" knives. These knives would be illegal to carry into certain places and would pretty much be the same ones that were illegal before. If that's the case, I'm okay with it. If it has any form of increased restrictions as a trade off for decreased restrictions somewhere else, then that's not okay. Am I reading this right?
Yes. Basically, anywhere where you cannot carry a firearm, you cannot carry a "high capacity assault knife".

Everywhere else is ok.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

I guess I'm okay with it then. Even if not perfect, as long as it's increasing freedoms not restricting them, it's a win.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

locke_n_load wrote:So what happens to the Chef in the nursing home/hospital with the butcher knife?
Our church will need smaller Thanksgiving Turkeys if we have to use smaller knives, can we still clear brush at our little country church that meets twice a month with the machete...

ELB

Post by ELB »

The official engrossed version (includes Dutton amendment) is up at TLO: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1935
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

My summary/restatement of the engrossed version:

"Location-restricted knife" (LRK) means a knife with a blade over five and one-half inches long. That's the entire definition. Nothing about edges, configuration (e.g. stiletto) etc.

"Location Restrictions" for those 18 years of age and over:

Adults cannot carry a LRK any place that they can't carry a club or a handgun, a familiar list to LTC holders:
- Elem/Middle/Junior/High Schools
- colleges and universities,
- activities sponsored by schools,
- polling places on election days,
- courts or court offices (! here we go again!),
- race tracks,
- secured area of an airport,
- within 1000' of a place of execution.
- 51% establishments
- HS, college, or professional sporting events (unless you are using the LRK in the event)
- correctional facilities
- hospitals
- mental hospitals
- amusement parks
- religious establishments

Note: LRK restriction does not apply to historical demonstration or ceremony where the LRK is significant to the event.

Note: Adults cannot sell or give a LRK to anyone under 18 years of age (mirrors previous restriction of "illegal knife").

Note: No "effective notice" required for hospitals, religious places, amusement parks.

Note: Under Texas law if you (with a LTC) accidently carry your handgun into a secured area of the airport and get caught, you are supposed to get chance to correct that error. No 2nd chances for LRK, it appears.

Additional restrictions for those under 18 years of age:
they may not carry a "location-restricted knife" (that is, one with a blade more than 5.5"), in public UNLESS he is under the direct supervision of a parent/legal guardian. He may carry it on his own premises, inside vehicles and boats he owns or controls, and to/from vehicles and boats he owns or controls. Essentially this mirrors the previous "illegal knife" restrictions on everyone.

It appears knife with blade 5.5" or less is legal for those under 18 years of age.

That's what I got out of it so far. Corrections welcome. Let's hope the Senate moves on this.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

HB 1935 was read in the Senate and referred to the Criminal Justice Committee on 5/10, some time after 11 a.m. The Committee was scheduled to meet that day at 2:00 p.m. but did not consider HB 1935 - that would be a quick turn if they did. The Committee meets next on 5/16 at 2:00 p.m., but as of know HB 1935 is not on the list of 23 bills to be considered. The 5/16 meeting is the last one currently listed on the TLO website, but I don't know how far in advance they put up future meetings.
USAF 1982-2005

tx85
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tx85 »

05/19/2017 Passed Senate Committee and recommended for local & uncontested calendar

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Is it just me or does anyone else think sometimes that law makers intentionally write laws that are purposefully ambiguous just so that they'll have an excuse to have something to do in the next 1-3 legislative sessions to "fix" it?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

May one legally carry a LRK while intoxicated? :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

joe817

Post by joe817 »

HB 1935 is on the Regular Order of Business for the Senate tomorrow(05/21/17)

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 170521.htm

They've got a bunch of bills to consider and it's anyone's guess if it will discussed on the floor tomorrow.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

No question, I'm not up to date regarding the hullaballoo some on this forum seem to have regarding knives.

What's the deal?

Want to carry a big ole honking knife, but can only do so at home or in your yard?

Frankly, I don't have a problem with people carrying knives big enough to require wheels, but I don't know why such interest in knives and the law?

Please, someone clue me in as at this point, the biggest amount of energy I can muster about carrying knives is a: YAWN!

Return to “Off-Topic”