Texas Illegal Knife Bill unanimously passes out of committee.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tx85
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Texas Illegal Knife Bill unanimously passes out of committee.

Post by tx85 »

Article: House delays debate on knife bill days after UT stabbing
Charley Wilkison, executive director of the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, said such a law would be frightening to regular citizens who could spot a person carrying a large knife in public.

"There's no compelling reason to change (the law)," he said. "Changing the law and adding a lengthier knife that can be carried outside is certainly not something that law enforcement needs."

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Beiruty »

If I had one of those:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NotRPB »

tx85 wrote:Article: House delays debate on knife bill days after UT stabbing
Charley Wilkison, executive director of the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, said such a law would be frightening to regular citizens who could spot a person carrying a large knife in public.

"There's no compelling reason to change (the law)," he said. "Changing the law and adding a lengthier knife that can be carried outside is certainly not something that law enforcement needs."
They were oblivious to the fact, and simple lesson taught by this incident: that "Criminals don't obey laws"
The knife used at University of Texas was too large, therefore illegal to be carried
That should have indicated that If Criminals WILL disobey laws, why not allow citizens who obey laws to have a thing called "Equal Protection" ... and that principle/ concept should be applied to all firearms
So we'll see more machete attacks & Axe attacks (those are more common in Australia/UK) even though they're illegal in "Big Knife Free Zones"

Jusme
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jusme »

NotRPB wrote:
tx85 wrote:Article: House delays debate on knife bill days after UT stabbing

They were oblivious to the fact, and simple lesson taught by this incident: that "Criminals don't obey laws"
The knife used at University of Texas was too large, therefore illegal to be carried
That should have indicated that If Criminals WILL disobey laws, why not allow citizens who obey laws to have a thing called "Equal Protection" ... and that principle/ concept should be applied to all firearms
So we'll see more machete attacks & Axe attacks (those are more common in Australia/UK) even though they're illegal in "Big Knife Free Zones"

These people must just tremble in fear if they go into a restaurant where they can see into the kitchen. with all of those terrible, dangerous big knives. The same thing at butcher shops. I guess when they see landscapers clearing brush, with a machete, they have to be institutionalized.
This is the same ridiculous argument they used regarding OC. Do they really think that people are suddenly going to walk around with 4' swords if they become legal? If the UT stabbing had been done with a 5" knife, would the victims be any less dead or injured?

Texas knife laws are archaic, at best, and have more holes in them than anything else on the books, and have done absolutely nothing to prevent the misuse of knives. Stabbing someone with any knife is still illegal, and if someone is going to disobey that law, why would they decide to obey, a law, on the length of a murder weapon?

:banghead:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

HB1935 On House Floor now
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=HB1935
Passes on voice vote. BUT AMENDED to make illegal to carry knife under age 18, or in bars, hospitals, nursing homes, Amusement Parks etc etc etc
Amendment RE: Certain Location Restrictions by Dutton (like a College Campus like University of Texas)
PDF http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 935H21.PDF

H Passed to engrossment as amended 05/08/2017
H Amended 1-Dutton 05/08/2017

H Laid out as postponed business 05/08/2017
H Postponed 5/8/17 4:00 PM 05/08/2017
H Postponed 5/8/17 4:00 PM 05/05/2017 2722
H Read 2nd time 05/05/2017 2722

ELB
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ELB »

Chuck Lindel tweeted that bill passed House to remove "illegal" knives, but... amended that under knife carry illegal for under 18, and illegal for everyone in bars, hospitals, and nursing homes.

Also still 5.5" restriction.

So that state knife of Texas is still illegal to carry in Texas.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

Whoops, doing this on phone while at ER, took a long time, see NotRPB scooped me.
USAF 1982-2005

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

ELB wrote:
Also still 5.5" restriction.

*SIGH*
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

This needs to just die with those amendments.

Elycion
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Elycion »

ELB wrote: Also still 5.5" restriction.

As amended the 5.5" rule only applies within the designated restricted spaces. Roughly speaking the new law would limit blades to under 5.5" in the same designated victim zones that currently restrict firearm carry. Outside of those areas the bill as currently written allows carry of any length blade, including previously prohibited classes such as daggers, swords, and the Bowie knife.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

So what happens to the Chef in the nursing home/hospital with the butcher knife?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

If Elycion is correct and the restrictions only apply to the noted locations and opens up edc in general public - while I would still call that flawed, its at least a step in the right direction.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

ELB

Post by ELB »

Pariah3j wrote:If Elycion is correct and the restrictions only apply to the noted locations and opens up edc in general public - while I would still call that flawed, its at least a step in the right direction.

+1.

When I was trying to research this on the iPhone last night, it was tough to follow the details.
USAF 1982-2005

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

Pariah3j wrote:If Elycion is correct and the restrictions only apply to the noted locations and opens up edc in general public - while I would still call that flawed, its at least a step in the right direction.

I would agree with this sentiment. Is at least better than nothing...

DEB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DEB »

NotRPB wrote:HB1935 On House Floor now
Passes on voice vote. BUT AMENDED to make illegal to carry knife under age 18, or in bars, hospitals, nursing homes, Amusement Parks etc etc etc
Amendment RE: Certain Location Restrictions by Dutton (like a College Campus like University of Texas)
PDF http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 935H21.PDF

H Passed to engrossment as amended 05/08/2017
H Amended 1-Dutton 05/08/2017

H Postponed 5/8/17 4:00 PM 05/08/2017
H Postponed 5/8/17 4:00 PM 05/05/2017 2722
H Read 2nd time 05/05/2017 2722
So, nobody under 18 can carry any knife, except under pretty much the same rules as firearms? Farm boys can't carry a pocket knife? Individuals who join the military when they are 17 can't carry a knife, (I joined 8 days after I turned 17). Or, does this only apply to those knives 5 1/2 inches or longer? I really don't understand these rules, probably just me. This appears to be another law that will do nothing except create law breakers, which also helps in creating contempt for the law. Go to rural areas, especially those in areas that are very rural and these rules are not even thought about, much less adhered to. Seems like we have problems in large urban areas and we want everyone to fall to the lowest common denominator, much like our present education system. Don't stop the criminal that is causing all of these issues, instead make more laws or make them more obtuse to the average person. Don't get me wrong, I really like it when we loosen the previous laws, especially those that were written due to previous criminal behavior, such as in the middle 1800s in Texas. When they should have just been let alone to begin with. I will get off of my high horse. God Bless Texas. :txflag:
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Return to “Off-Topic”