ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby KLB » Wed May 10, 2017 8:59 am

oohrah wrote:The ACLU exists solely to protect the Bill of Rights (yes, that includes the 2nd Amendment)

That may once have been true, setting aside the Second Amendment (I'm skeptical they ever supported that). But like so many institutions in our society, the ACLU has been corrupted by the Left. Now it's just a vassal of the leftist agenda.

Alas. We need what they claim to be.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5488
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby Pawpaw » Wed May 10, 2017 9:51 am

The ACLU's stance on the 2nd Amendment is published here: https://www.aclu.org/other/second-amendment

The heart of it is here:

The ACLU wrote:ACLU Position

Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right. For seven decades, the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller was widely understood to have endorsed that view. This position is currently under review and is being updated by the ACLU National Board in light of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in D.C. v. Heller in 2008.

In striking down Washington D.C.'s handgun ban by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court's decision in D.C. v. Heller held for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, whether or not associated with a state militia. The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment. However, particular federal or state laws on licensing, registration, prohibition, or other regulation of the manufacture, shipment, sale, purchase or possession of guns may raise civil liberties questions.


Yea... They're protecting the Bill of Rights...............................................NOT!!!
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3835
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby Jusme » Wed May 10, 2017 10:06 am

Pawpaw wrote:The ACLU's stance on the 2nd Amendment is published here: https://www.aclu.org/other/second-amendment

The heart of it is here:

The ACLU wrote:ACLU Position

Given the reference to "a well regulated Militia" and "the security of a free State," the ACLU has long taken the position that the Second Amendment protects a collective right rather than an individual right. For seven decades, the Supreme Court's 1939 decision in United States v. Miller was widely understood to have endorsed that view. This position is currently under review and is being updated by the ACLU National Board in light of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in D.C. v. Heller in 2008.

In striking down Washington D.C.'s handgun ban by a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court's decision in D.C. v. Heller held for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms, whether or not associated with a state militia. The ACLU disagrees with the Supreme Court's conclusion about the nature of the right protected by the Second Amendment. However, particular federal or state laws on licensing, registration, prohibition, or other regulation of the manufacture, shipment, sale, purchase or possession of guns may raise civil liberties questions.


Yea... They're protecting the Bill of Rights...............................................NOT!!!




They were all on board to protest and fight for the denial of civil liberties, in reference to the "no fly list" right up until the time, that legislation was being pushed to deny people the right to purchase firearms, if they were on the list. Then it wasn't such a violation of rights.

But to be fair, if I ever see an ACLU member being attacked, I won't use my gun to protect them. I will just wait for a well regulated militia to come along and handle it.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 2645
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:28 am

J.R.@A&M wrote:Will they issue one for California related to my inability to bear arms there?


Or New York, or New Jersey, or DC.....
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16588
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Wed May 10, 2017 10:37 am

oohrah wrote:I can't believe what I'm reading! The ACLU exists solely to protect the Bill of Rights (yes, that includes the 2nd Amendment), you know, those amendments that protect the individual from the majority. This is the same group that is defending your right to keep and bear arms.

The "sanctuary city" bill went too far IMO ,because it gives the police near "papers please" powers. This bill will legitimize the profiling of honest citizens.

I support the basic intent of the bill that if you are illegal, you are a criminal, and should be handed over to the Feds, but the state is trying to tell local jurisdictions how to do their jobs.

In 37 years of being a legislative advocate for gun owners, I know of only one time when the ACLU supported a Second Amendment issue. That was in 2007 when we passed the Motorist Protection Act (HB1815). The ACLU employee who wrote the supportive article/report was later fired. The national organization diligently avoids taking a pro-Second Amendment position, at least to my recollection. I'd be interested in any information you have to the contrary. The ACLU claims to support all civil and constitutional rights, but that's not true. They pick and choose the rights they want to support and are conspicuously MIA when they disagree with a constitutional right.

The ACLU article/warning is full of false information and outright lies about constitutional rights. People who enter the U.S. in violation of our laws are not "immigrants," they are criminals. The job of law enforcement is to apprehend criminals and any elected official or law enforcement head that refuses to do so is unfit to hold their position. Equating illegal aliens to "immigrants" is an insult and disservice to millions of people who entered the U.S. lawfully, often after waiting for years to do so.

Chas.
Image


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 6990
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby Abraham » Wed May 10, 2017 10:58 am

Chas.

So what's their true agenda?

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3835
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby Jusme » Wed May 10, 2017 11:13 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
oohrah wrote:I can't believe what I'm reading! The ACLU exists solely to protect the Bill of Rights (yes, that includes the 2nd Amendment), you know, those amendments that protect the individual from the majority. This is the same group that is defending your right to keep and bear arms.

The "sanctuary city" bill went too far IMO ,because it gives the police near "papers please" powers. This bill will legitimize the profiling of honest citizens.

I support the basic intent of the bill that if you are illegal, you are a criminal, and should be handed over to the Feds, but the state is trying to tell local jurisdictions how to do their jobs.

In 37 years of being a legislative advocate for gun owners, I know of only one time when the ACLU supported a Second Amendment issue. That was in 2007 when we passed the Motorist Protection Act (HB1815). The ACLU employee who wrote the supportive article/report was later fired. The national organization diligently avoids taking a pro-Second Amendment position, at least to my recollection. I'd be interested in any information you have to the contrary. The ACLU claims to support all civil and constitutional rights, but that's not true. They pick and choose the rights they want to support and are conspicuously MIA when they disagree with a constitutional right.

The ACLU article/warning is full of false information and outright lies about constitutional rights. People who enter the U.S. in violation of our laws are not "immigrants," they are criminals. The job of law enforcement is to apprehend criminals and any elected official or law enforcement head that refuses to do so is unfit to hold their position. Equating illegal aliens to "immigrants" is an insult and disservice to millions of people who entered the U.S. lawfully, often after waiting for years to do so.

Chas.



:iagree:

I think the Liberal left has managed, again, to infiltrate the English language with misnomers. Persons who are "immigrants" by definition, have gone through at least a semblance of the immigration process. Border jumpers, and those who have circumvented, the immigration process, are not immigrants, they are criminals. I think the term, Person(s) Here illegally, should be the new nomenclature, abbreviated to PHI. That takes away the Liberal position that a person can't be "illegal", but then removes the legitimate sounding term "immigrant." Additionally, it does not discriminate against anyone based on ethnicity, or country of origin. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts: 1396
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby Flightmare » Wed May 10, 2017 11:28 am

I've always used the term "National Trespassers". They are trespassing on our nation.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 2709
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby bblhd672 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Abraham wrote:Chas.

So what's their true agenda?


Advancement of the progressive, socialist agenda to destroy the United States.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“What ‘gun law’ would have prevented the Sutherland Springs church massacre? Or the Las Vegas massacre?"

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 2709
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby bblhd672 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:In 37 years of being a legislative advocate for gun owners, I know of only one time when the ACLU supported a Second Amendment issue. That was in 2007 when we passed the Motorist Protection Act (HB1815). The ACLU employee who wrote the supportive article/report was later fired. The national organization diligently avoids taking a pro-Second Amendment position, at least to my recollection. I'd be interested in any information you have to the contrary. The ACLU claims to support all civil and constitutional rights, but that's not true. They pick and choose the rights they want to support and are conspicuously MIA when they disagree with a constitutional right.

The ACLU article/warning is full of false information and outright lies about constitutional rights. People who enter the U.S. in violation of our laws are not "immigrants," they are criminals. The job of law enforcement is to apprehend criminals and any elected official or law enforcement head that refuses to do so is unfit to hold their position. Equating illegal aliens to "immigrants" is an insult and disservice to millions of people who entered the U.S. lawfully, often after waiting for years to do so.

Chas.


:iagree: and amen!
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“What ‘gun law’ would have prevented the Sutherland Springs church massacre? Or the Las Vegas massacre?"

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5488
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby Pawpaw » Wed May 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Flightmare wrote:I've always used the term "National Trespassers". They are trespassing on our nation.

Not too long ago, they were officially known as "illegal aliens". I still think that title is true and correct.

There's a big difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien. They may come from the same country, but one did it legally and the other is a criminal.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5488
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby Pawpaw » Wed May 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Ignore this. I just deleted a duplicate post.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Wed May 10, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 2709
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby bblhd672 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Flightmare wrote:I've always used the term "National Trespassers". They are trespassing on our nation.


"Foreign invaders" applies as well.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“What ‘gun law’ would have prevented the Sutherland Springs church massacre? Or the Las Vegas massacre?"


LeonCarr
Senior Member
Posts: 364
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: DFW

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby LeonCarr » Wed May 10, 2017 2:37 pm

More propaganda from the Atheistic Communist Lovers Union.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
The Libertarian Conspiracy - To take over the government, and then leave you alone.

User avatar

Wolverine
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Re: ACLU Issues Texas ‘Travel Advisory’

Postby Wolverine » Wed May 10, 2017 6:37 pm

I think it's great because we're better off without more of the type of people who would avoid Texas because of a ‘Travel Advisory’ from the ACLU.
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cmgee67, Don T, Wolverine and 5 guests