Are Grill Covers Really Needed?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Are Grill Covers Really Needed?

Post by RossA »

rentz wrote:
C-dub wrote: the salesman actually told me NOT to buy the expensive cover because its known to trap moisture and cause mold inside the egg.
I could be way wrong about this, so feel free to correct me. Seems like even if there was mold inside a grill, you are going to start the charcoal and let it burn down for awhile. You could put the cover over it while it is really hot at first, and any unseen mold would be destroyed, wouldn't it?
As far as the grill grate itself, you are probably going to (hopefully) brush it to clean it before you put food on it. So shouldn't the combination of brushing and high heat destroy any yukky growing stuff?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

rentz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rentz »

RossA wrote:
rentz wrote:
C-dub wrote: the salesman actually told me NOT to buy the expensive cover because its known to trap moisture and cause mold inside the egg.
I could be way wrong about this, so feel free to correct me. Seems like even if there was mold inside a grill, you are going to start the charcoal and let it burn down for awhile. You could put the cover over it while it is really hot at first, and any unseen mold would be destroyed, wouldn't it?
As far as the grill grate itself, you are probably going to (hopefully) brush it to clean it before you put food on it. So shouldn't the combination of brushing and high heat destroy any yukky growing stuff?
i wouldnt put a cover on a hot grill but yes that is exactly how you clean mold out of the egg, have to do it at the start of grilling season when it hasnt been used in a while.
but putting a cover on day in day out would lead to more mold growth....and since its porcelain it isnt going to rust, which was the main reason i use them on gas grills.

aero10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by aero10 »

RossA wrote:You could put the cover over it while it is really hot at first, and any unseen mold would be destroyed, wouldn't it?
It would also destroy the grill cover. Most covers have some plastic in them or are made of polyester, neither of which respond well to high heat. You have to let your grill cool down completely before putting the grill cover back on it. (I may have learned this the hard way).

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I worded that really poorly. I didn't mean to put the cloth grill cover on the hot grill, I meant the top cover that is part of the grill. Now that I see the responses, I see how it could have been taken differently. If the grill is heating and the top cover is on it trapping heat, seems like that would kill pretty much anything inside.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Take Down Sicko »

MJR wrote:Have Big Green Eggs and never use covers.
MJR!!!
Cover those things before you hurt yourself.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RossA wrote:
rentz wrote:
Pretty much except for having a cover on it at the time. Eggs and other grills of that type can get over 700 degrees. That'll take care of anything in there that isn't supposed to be. The vent is what you meant rather than the cover. It just sits on top and is made of cast iron.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jeff B. »

I've got a Weber Genesis also, although I think mine about 15 years old (maybe a year or two less) and have always made the effort to cover it. The last ten years, I've used covers bought from Costco. They're a heavy canvas type material and I think are reversible for a color change if you want. They changes the design up a bit and I moved the original to my smoker, where it is still serving well. It was longer than the newer one and the fit of both was better.

A cover shouldn't be a chore to get on or off. If it is, you'll tend not to use it.

The one recommended looks very similar to the ones I'm using. May well actually be the same thing...

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Return to “Off-Topic”