Surgery, Iron & Leafy greens

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NotRPB
Posts in topic: 1

Surgery, Iron & Leafy greens

Post by NotRPB »

Just something I learned as a teen
Iron like in Molasses seems to make the blood thicker and redder (my shins got kicked in soccer a lot, so I'd drink Molasses in Chocolate milk prior to games)

Vitamin K as in spinach/leafy green veggies causes blood to clot quicker, they give it for blood thinner overdoses
In 1990 I had shoulder surgery, two weeks prior to surgery I continually drank molasses in my chocolate milk ate greens.
Doctors had pints and pints of blood on hand, Experienced surgeon said I bled maybe 1 or 2 drops, surprised him He'd never seen anyone not need blood from his operations before.
Greens,like spinach etc also have iron.

Regular chocolate has about 4% Daily Iron
Ovaltine Chocolate 10%
Regular Molasses 2% Blackstrap Molasses 4%
One can overdose on iron though if you are using iron supplement pills instead of foods.

just thought I'd share.

mojo84

Re: Surgery, Iron & Leafy greens

Post by mojo84 »

I'm laying here with four fractures in my left ankle and am being told it looks like it will be another 2 weeks or so before they can do surgery. I've already been waiting a week an a half. What you got that I should look at taking? Already doing, calcium, magnesium, turmeric, tylenol 4 and heavy protein.

Anything I'm overlooking?

PS: I'm not looking to thicken my blood at this point. Just heal some bones and keep pain under control.
Last edited by mojo84 on Tue May 23, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I I would think that thickening your blood might not be a great idea if you have constructed arteries and veins.
USAF 1982-2005

nonleg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nonleg »

:iagree: Especially for surgery or conditions in which the lower extremities are immobilized... Asking for DVT, even moreso when you're not a spring chicken.
Let's not overthink this. Whatever it is.

rotor

Post by rotor »

NotRPB wrote:Just something I learned as a teen
Iron like in Molasses seems to make the blood thicker and redder (my shins got kicked in soccer a lot, so I'd drink Molasses in Chocolate milk prior to games)

Vitamin K as in spinach/leafy green veggies causes blood to clot quicker, they give it for blood thinner overdoses
In 1990 I had shoulder surgery, two weeks prior to surgery I continually drank molasses in my chocolate milk ate greens.
Doctors had pints and pints of blood on hand, Experienced surgeon said I bled maybe 1 or 2 drops, surprised him He'd never seen anyone not need blood from his operations before.
Greens,like spinach etc also have iron.

Regular chocolate has about 4% Daily Iron
Ovaltine Chocolate 10%
Regular Molasses 2% Blackstrap Molasses 4%
One can overdose on iron though if you are using iron supplement pills instead of foods.

just thought I'd share.
Not all medical advice should be taken with more than a grain of salt. Vitamin K reverses Coumadin blood thinner (same thing they frequently use to poison rats). Having "thicker" blood is not necessarily good. For those of us that are senior that baby aspirin we take everyday to thin our blood a bit may be a better alternative. Glad you went though "bloodless" surgery without problems. I wonder if too much molasses might cause diabetes. I personally love spinach but it can cause kidney stones so don't do the Popeye thing. Best medical advice does not come from firearm people or the internet. Talk to your doctor for medical advice. Don't necessarily pay attention to me either.

nonleg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nonleg »

If you're in a position to have to deal with answering questions about Coumadin, Xarelto, etc., you just need to wear compression socks anytime you're sitting for longer than a movie. (Coumadin and some other drugs are famous for their dietary restrictions as Rotor mentioned above, which you'll have to abide by for usually at least six months.)

That guy doing flutter kicks in the aisle on the way from EWR to FRA? Yeah, he has DVT, and once you've got it, you're going to most likely get it again. Ok, so flutter kicks are a bit of an exaggeration, but weird looking socks and doing calf exercises near the head every 90 minutes are not. Mojo, it's definitely worth talking with your doc about re: compression stockings before and after. Cheap on Amazon, just look for socks that measure their compression in some demonstrable measure of mm/Hg.
Let's not overthink this. Whatever it is.

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

When you are dehorning cattle, if you have a one that squirts quite a bit after you shear the horn, a Vitamin K shot will slow it down or bring it to a stop. We have used that for years. Takes a lot more than what a person might think since you are dealing with an animal that might weigh 1400 lbs. Another use for Vitamin K is an antidote for certain rat poisons (not all of them) if a pet happens to get into some of that bait. :shock:
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

Return to “Off-Topic”