Crypto-currencies

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 3297
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby bblhd672 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:20 pm

AndyC wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:The former works for Etherium only

As well as all ERC-20 compliant coins that run on the Ethereum network - BAT, EOS, Ethos, Funfair, Storj, etc, etc:

https://etherscan.io/tokens


Where's the best place to go to get a good basic education in crypto-currencies?
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
Si vis pacem, para bellum

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 23431
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby The Annoyed Man » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 pm

bblhd672 wrote:
AndyC wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:The former works for Etherium only

As well as all ERC-20 compliant coins that run on the Ethereum network - BAT, EOS, Ethos, Funfair, Storj, etc, etc:

https://etherscan.io/tokens


Where's the best place to go to get a good basic education in crypto-currencies?

AndyC might be able to answer that question better than I can. I’ve just done what he suggested, and it made sense and worked. BTW, as of today, my gains exceed my original investment.

Look for an inbound PM.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby Abraham » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 am

Some like to gamble using cards, others dice and now some like to do it with Cryp. Curr.

I say fine, have fun.
Last edited by Abraham on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Russell
Senior Member
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby Russell » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:01 pm

What are yalls thoughts on Ripple?
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006


bbhack
Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby bbhack » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Russell wrote:What are yalls thoughts on Ripple?


We have a little Ripple. Bought some back when you could buy it on their website (2 years ago?). Recently picked up a few more.

Ripple is a commercial payment infrastructure, so it is different than all other things out there, even though they look deceptively similar. Past that, I don't know. I guess it's as good for speculating as other things.

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5873
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby Pawpaw » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:14 pm

.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 23431
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby The Annoyed Man » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm

bbhack wrote:
Russell wrote:What are yalls thoughts on Ripple?


We have a little Ripple. Bought some back when you could buy it on their website (2 years ago?). Recently picked up a few more.

Ripple is a commercial payment infrastructure, so it is different than all other things out there, even though they look deceptively similar. Past that, I don't know. I guess it's as good for speculating as other things.

The deal with Ripple is that a few banks are using it now to process their transactions. The hope is that it will become sort of universal to the banking industry. If it does, then those that got in cheap will get rich pretty quick. I had some Ripple (XRP).....not too much, maybe $100 worth. I bought at about $2.35, watched it go up to around $3.75, said to my self “yippee, and we’re off”, and then watched it go back down to $2.35. I bailed and converted it to Ether, all except for 0.918 XRP that Binance wouldn’t let me convert for some reason. Right now, XRP is trading at $1.98 on Binance.

I’ve been browsing the Reddit XRP/Ripple forums to see if anyone has an explanation for that price drop than Coinbase’s announcement that they would not be adding XRP to their stable this year, and for some kind of intelligence on future projections. OR, will XRP turn out to be another dud? Who knows. In the meantime, I’ve just deposited my Christmas cash by wire transfer to Coinbase/GDAX and plan to invest it in 2 or 3 other coins which I’m doing research while I wait for the transfer to complete.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

TexasJohnBoy
Senior Member
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby TexasJohnBoy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:03 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
bbhack wrote:
Russell wrote:What are yalls thoughts on Ripple?


We have a little Ripple. Bought some back when you could buy it on their website (2 years ago?). Recently picked up a few more.

Ripple is a commercial payment infrastructure, so it is different than all other things out there, even though they look deceptively similar. Past that, I don't know. I guess it's as good for speculating as other things.

The deal with Ripple is that a few banks are using it now to process their transactions. The hope is that it will become sort of universal to the banking industry. If it does, then those that got in cheap will get rich pretty quick. I had some Ripple (XRP).....not too much, maybe $100 worth. I bought at about $2.35, watched it go up to around $3.75, said to my self “yippee, and we’re off”, and then watched it go back down to $2.35. I bailed and converted it to Ether, all except for 0.918 XRP that Binance wouldn’t let me convert for some reason. Right now, XRP is trading at $1.98 on Binance.

I’ve been browsing the Reddit XRP/Ripple forums to see if anyone has an explanation for that price drop than Coinbase’s announcement that they would not be adding XRP to their stable this year, and for some kind of intelligence on future projections. OR, will XRP turn out to be another dud? Who knows. In the meantime, I’ve just deposited my Christmas cash by wire transfer to Coinbase/GDAX and plan to invest it in 2 or 3 other coins which I’m doing research while I wait for the transfer to complete.


Ripple (and every currency really) just had a huge correction. Everything dropped except ether, probably because that’s where people sheltered when things dropped. It’s a normal cycle, especially after the kind of bull run we just had.

Get a token of BNB on Binance, then it will use that currency to pay your transaction fees, and at half price. You have to turn on that option in your user profile.

As for learning and getting insight, I read https://cointelegraph.com/ https://www.coindesk.com/ https://bravenewcoin.com/
And https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/ along with currency specific subreddits. Take things with a grain of salt on reddit though
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Senior Member
Posts: 1798
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby Bitter Clinger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Interesting, educational article, "Everything you needed to know about Bitcoin":

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/everythi ... s-altucher
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 23431
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby The Annoyed Man » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:00 am

Bitter Clinger wrote:Interesting, educational article, "Everything you needed to know about Bitcoin":

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/everythi ... s-altucher

That’s a great link. Thanks for providing it. I’ve bookmarked it to show to others because it explains the advantages of cryptocurrency better than I can.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


ninjabread
Senior Member
Posts: 492
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby ninjabread » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Bitter Clinger wrote:Interesting, educational article, "Everything you needed to know about Bitcoin":

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/everythi ... s-altucher

That's a good introduction if you remember he's talking about crypto-currency in general and not Bitcoin specifically. No argument e-commerce is huge today but there were many early e-commerce companies who went belly up. The same is likely to happen with the crypto-currencies in existence today. Some may be like investing in Amazon 15 years ago and some may be worthless 15 years from now.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby Abraham » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 pm

Call it what you will - it's stil gambling.

I'm not an anti-gambling kinda guy.

I'm invested in a number of things, and yep, I could lose my shirt.

Or, make good money. Not great money, my investments are conservative.

One thing though, bandwagon investing isn't for me...


Bushwhacker
Junior Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby Bushwhacker » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Abraham wrote:One thing though, bandwagon investing isn't for me...

:iagree: That's why I don't own gold and silver. Except in my electronics and some jewelry.

I have land. I have guns and ammo. I have equity investments. I'll probably never be rich but I'll probably never starve.

None of which has anything to do with crypto-currencies but I enjoy reading comments from people who have a clue about it. Both on the market side and the technological side. Two different things. I see the potential of blockchain technology in logistics for example.


BBYC
Senior Member
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby BBYC » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:00 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
BBYC wrote:
Liberty wrote:Trading cryptocurrencies is commodity trading, it's no different than pork bellies or precious metals.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. Are they currencies or commodities? :confused5

If you think of currencies as commodities, it might help.

No. That's just more confusing. NYMEX and CBOT are futures exchanges. Until recently, there was no futures trading for crypto. There is now, but it's still a different kettle of fish than coinbase and similar trading sites.

Before somebody quibbles, there is fx futures trading but fundamentally different than the cryptocoin trading sites.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 3128
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Crypto-currencies

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Abraham wrote:Call it what you will - it's stil gambling.

I'm not an anti-gambling kinda guy.

I'm invested in a number of things, and yep, I could lose my shirt.

Or, make good money. Not great money, my investments are conservative.

One thing though, bandwagon investing isn't for me...


IMHO, the term "gambling" is a bit loaded. If you use it to mean something where you could lose financial wealth, then the only people who aren't "gambling" are those with no financial wealth, whatsoever. In that context, "gambling" would include holding wealth in gold, silver, commodities, guns, bullets, and even US Dollars stuffed in a secure vault. Using the term so broadly takes away all relevance, and distinction between "gambling" and "investing". As long as we all understand what we are saying, that is fine. But just like telling someone they are ignorant when they have not been educated on a subject, the term "gambling" can easily be misunderstood.

It's all about risk versus reward. When you are investing, gambling, speculating, etc., you can choose to accept a lower potential reward for a lower risk level, or a higher potential reward with a higher risk level.
Ding dong, the witch is dead


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests