Crypto-currencies

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

zmcgooga
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Crypto-currencies

Post by zmcgooga »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
bbhack wrote:
Russell wrote:What are yalls thoughts on Ripple?
We have a little Ripple. Bought some back when you could buy it on their website (2 years ago?). Recently picked up a few more.

Ripple is a commercial payment infrastructure, so it is different than all other things out there, even though they look deceptively similar. Past that, I don't know. I guess it's as good for speculating as other things.
The deal with Ripple is that a few banks are using it now to process their transactions. The hope is that it will become sort of universal to the banking industry. If it does, then those that got in cheap will get rich pretty quick. I had some Ripple (XRP).....not too much, maybe $100 worth. I bought at about $2.35, watched it go up to around $3.75, said to my self “yippee, and we’re off”, and then watched it go back down to $2.35. I bailed and converted it to Ether, all except for 0.918 XRP that Binance wouldn’t let me convert for some reason. Right now, XRP is trading at $1.98 on Binance.

I’ve been browsing the Reddit XRP/Ripple forums to see if anyone has an explanation for that price drop than Coinbase’s announcement that they would not be adding XRP to their stable this year, and for some kind of intelligence on future projections. OR, will XRP turn out to be another dud? Who knows. In the meantime, I’ve just deposited my Christmas cash by wire transfer to Coinbase/GDAX and plan to invest it in 2 or 3 other coins which I’m doing research while I wait for the transfer to complete.
Ripple was/is my first ever Crypto invesment, I got in around $0.23 back in November because it's the only "coin" that (to me at least) has any practical use. The sharp drop in December was mainly due to the main sites (coinmarketcap.com) dropping S. Korean exchanges from their averages. Since S. Korea's exchanges are closed only to them their trading prices where usually a dollar or more higher than the global average so to try and reflect the market averages more approximately they dropped the S. Korea averages which subsequently dropped the global average sharply, you can read more here https://cointelegraph.com/news/coinmark ... 20-billion Once that happened I think you had a lot of people worry that it was crashing and decided to sell. But on your note, I think the Coinbase announcement did cause some panic as well.

On a postive note with Ripple, they did just announce that they are partnering with MoneyGram to start testing their network with money transfers. I don't think that Ripple will ever reach the same price as BTC nor will it skyrocket overnight but I think if your looking at a longer term investment that it's one of the better ones to look at.

Just my 0.02

loktite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by loktite »

1911 Raptor wrote:There are a lot of terms being used that are simply misleading the biggest one being unhackable. People need to understand that nothing is unhackable.
Especially as quantum computing becomes more accessible.
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 32

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Chinese New Year. It’s already on the way back up. Apparently, it does this every year at this time.

I’ve made three purchases of Etherium so far:

1. $900 on 12/14, at $712/Eth. I am still ahead $347 on that purchase at this moment.

2. $100 on 12/22, at $559/Eth. I am still ahead $75 on that purchase at this moment.

3. $450 on 01/11, at $1168/Eth. I am down $72 on that purchase at this moment.

I currently hold 2.03032551 Eth. For which I have spent a total of $1450.00. Even at this momentary dip price of $988/Eth, my current holdings are valued at $2005.96. That puts me ahead by $555.96 .......in less than a month.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bblhd672 »

1911 Raptor wrote:I wondered why it has been so quite on this thread. 10 biggest crypto currencies lost 100 billion dollars in a 24 hour period!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... cid=HPCDHP
So, time to buy....
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

The Annoyed Man

bblhd672 wrote:
1911 Raptor wrote:I wondered why it has been so quite on this thread. 10 biggest crypto currencies lost 100 billion dollars in a 24 hour period!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets ... cid=HPCDHP
So, time to buy....
Exactly! Eth dipped to $840 this afternoon, and I had no disposable cash at the moment. So my next task is to set aside a few hundred $$, convert it to USDT and sit on it until the next dip.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

1911 Raptor wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Chinese New Year. It’s already on the way back up. Apparently, it does this every year at this time.

I’ve made three purchases of Etherium so far:

1. $900 on 12/14, at $712/Eth. I am still ahead $347 on that purchase at this moment.

2. $100 on 12/22, at $559/Eth. I am still ahead $75 on that purchase at this moment.

3. $450 on 01/11, at $1168/Eth. I am down $72 on that purchase at this moment.

I currently hold 2.03032551 Eth. For which I have spent a total of $1450.00. Even at this momentary dip price of $988/Eth, my current holdings are valued at $2005.96. That puts me ahead by $555.96 .......in less than a month.
You should read more. China is getting ready to ban Crypto Currencies, it has nothing to do with Chinese New Year but hey spin it however you want.
Not so. YOU should read more. The Chinese gov’t fairly recently issued an edict saying that cryptocurrency speculation was within what’s acceptable for their version of individual capitalism. THEN, a few days ago, one gov’t employee made a comment that they “may have to” ban it. It is suspected that he was short-selling.

Every year for the last several years - ever since the Chinese have been involved - the 2 weeks before the Chinese New Year produces this result, except that until now, the results have been less dramatic because the market was much smaller. In the next 2 weeks or so, the prices will be right back up where they were.

Last Hour:

Last Day:

Last Week:

Last Month:

Last Year:

Entire History:

Sorry to disappoint you dude. BTW, if you look at the same charts for Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, and Litecoin, while there are differences, the charts are shaped roughly the same, over the same time time periods. But you do you, booboo.

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

What are the governments of China and South Korea worried about? Perhaps the loss of government monopoly on the exchange, control and profiteering of currency?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 10

Post by OldCannon »

Don't fool yourselves. China is the #1 miner of cryptocurrency. You don't kill your cash cows.

ETH under 1K is a good buy price. Again, if you can't afford to lose the money, DON'T DO IT. Just like any other speculative investment.

I'm kinda hoping BTC dips under 9K. If so, I will consider it a strong "buy". One of my friends, who has invested in crypto currencies FAR wiser than I have, thinks BTC will hit almost 6K within a month, then ramp up well past its historical high before the summer is over.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

The Annoyed Man

OldCannon wrote:Don't fool yourselves. China is the #1 miner of cryptocurrency. You don't kill your cash cows.
Exactly. That’s why China is not going anywhere. They were relatively early adopters, and they’ll stay in because it is good for them.

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

1911 Raptor wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
OldCannon wrote:Don't fool yourselves. China is the #1 miner of cryptocurrency. You don't kill your cash cows.
Exactly. That’s why China is not going anywhere. They were relatively early adopters, and they’ll stay in because it is good for them.
Another off the crypto currency.

https://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2018/0 ... g-bitcoin/
I don’t understand your need to continue to disparage the financial/investment decisions made by people who see things different than you. It’s not your money and no one here is going to want you to save them if their investment goes bad.

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 10

Post by OldCannon »

bblhd672 wrote:[
I don’t understand your need to continue to disparage the financial/investment decisions made by people who see things different than you. It’s not your money and no one here is going to want you to save them if their investment goes bad.
Amen. It's getting tiresome and non-contributory. Might I suggest another thread called "Cryptocurrencies are a scam!"? Then those folks that are agreeable to that topic can form their own echo chamber. :lol:
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Return to “Off-Topic”