Online Veteran Exchange looking for beta testers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Online Veteran Exchange looking for beta testers

Post by Pawpaw »

G26ster wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: I suppose there are a lot of things about the military that wouldn't necessarily make sense to a civilian, but that do make sense in a military context. :mrgreen:
Remember TAM the military is the birthplace of:

"Close enough for government work."
"We've met the enemy, and they are us."
And others I'm not permitted by forum rules to quote.
:mrgreen:
And we used to say, "The difference between the Air Force and the Boy Scouts is that the Boy Scouts have adult leadership."
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

1911 10MM wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:I went to the verify site in the article. I inserted said info and immediately got a message saying I could begin using the exchange in November...

Same Here.
+1 I figured they would need more info than requested like date of separation, grade, etc.. but nope, just a couple of things, easy.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JakeTheSnake »

txglock21 wrote:
1911 10MM wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:I went to the verify site in the article. I inserted said info and immediately got a message saying I could begin using the exchange in November...

Same Here.
+1 I figured they would need more info than requested like date of separation, grade, etc.. but nope, just a couple of things, easy.
Same here.
Lowes could not verify me.

rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rotor »

Submitted yesterday, got this today
"Thank you for applying to participate in the Veterans online shopping benefit. Congratulations! You have been verified and can begin shopping on November 11, 2017. The exchanges will keep you updated with important developments. "

o b juan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by o b juan »

I went on and got approved.

Have a 10% dis.

Could I then Shop @ a PX?
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

Topic author
dale blanker
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by dale blanker »

o b juan wrote:I went on and got approved.

Have a 10% dis.

Could I then Shop @ a PX?
I believe that you may not shop at a base unless you are active, reserve, or retired. Also, the online service is good for almost anything but not alcohol, tobacco, or uniforms.

By the way, to those that are having trouble getting verified, it may be because of lost records due to a major fire back in the 70's. So if you separated or were discharged before then you're more likely to have a problem and need to submit the inquiry mentioned earlier.
"Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship, Service." Anyone?

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

G26ster wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: I suppose there are a lot of things about the military that wouldn't necessarily make sense to a civilian, but that do make sense in a military context. :mrgreen:
Remember TAM the military is the birthplace of:

"Close enough for government work."
"We've met the enemy, and they are us."
And others I'm not permitted by forum rules to quote.
:mrgreen:
Don't forget "military intelligence." :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

So are the prices any good? Or just the same as everywhere else?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
dale blanker
Banned

Post by dale blanker »

TreyHouston wrote:So are the prices any good? Or just the same as everywhere else?
I've seen mixed reviews about the pricing so one should compare other outlets but I understand that there is no sales tax. Also, there's speculation that after many vets join in, volume sales will help reduce prices.

67N20

Post by 67N20 »

Do you have to retired (meaning served 20 years) or Honorably Discharged? 3 years service in my case.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

1911 10MM wrote:

Same Here.
Ditto

Topic author
dale blanker
Banned

Post by dale blanker »

67N20 wrote:Do you have to retired (meaning served 20 years) or Honorably Discharged? 3 years service in my case.
This is for ALL honorably discharged vets, adding to the active, reserve, and retirees who currently have access to online military exchanges.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RogueUSMC »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
G26ster wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: I'm just curious...... how does one end up with four DD214s?
:lol: One when I was discharged after being drafted (2 year commitment. 2 months later I re-enlisted- only had 90 days to do so to keep my stripes and so-called "bonus.") One when I graduated Officer Candidate school and was discharged as a Staff Sargent so I could be commissioned. One when I left active duty after 5 years commissioned service, and one after I was re-called to active duty and spent 3 years, and was discharged again. Easy! :lol:
Pawpaw wrote:At least when I was on active duty, a new DD-214 was issued every time you reenlisted. The only one of any real value is the last one.
OK...... THAT explains it! :thumbs2: Thanks.

Being ignorant of such things, I assumed that you'd get one if you left a service, and then perhaps another if you later reenlisted and then left again, but I didn't realize that you have to be discharged as an enlisted person before promotion to the officer corps. Isn't that kind of like having to be fired as a clerk, so you can become office manager? :lol: I suppose there are a lot of things about the military that wouldn't necessarily make sense to a civilian, but that do make sense in a military context. :mrgreen:
An 'enlistment' is for a predetermined length of time. You enlist...you do your term...you either reenlist of discharge.

A 'commission' is accepted for an undetermined period (usually with a minimum requirement of six years unless otherwise decided by acceptable factors.) Once you meet the minimum, a commissioned can be resigned unless under obligations of some sort.

As an example: My brother-in-law was an enlisted soldier who attained the rank of Staff Sargent then discharged to assume a commission as a Second Lieutenant. He is now a Major that has passed his six year minimum but has excepted a tour over in Germany that is a three year obligation that must be completed before he can resign his commission. If he makes the list for light bird, he will have to choose to resign his commission and retire or accept the promotion which comes with another obligation of a few more years (but it comes with a significant boost in pension.) Mitigating circumstances can play into all of the above...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

stash

Post by stash »

Thanks Dale and others. Dale I will give DEERS a shot.

I also had trouble for the discount at Lowe's and had to take my DD-214 to gt hooked up with them

Maybe my problem is the fire inasmuch as I was discharged prior 1970.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Topic author
dale blanker
Banned

Post by dale blanker »

stash wrote:Thanks Dale and others. Dale I will give DEERS a shot.

I also had trouble for the discount at Lowe's and had to take my DD-214 to gt hooked up with them

Maybe my problem is the fire inasmuch as I was discharged prior 1970.
My separation was in '56 and discharge in '61 so I assume that is the problem. Texas DPS wisely does not bother with DEERS for the veteran discount on chl. Just sending a copy of the DD-214 is simpler and quicker than going through the appeal/update process required by DEERS for the online exchange.

Our government works in strange and wondrous ways...

Return to “Off-Topic”