Arrl field day for those interested in ham radio

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
cheezit
Posts in topic: 2

Arrl field day for those interested in ham radio

Post by cheezit »

Just to let those interested in ham radio that this weekend is field day. If your interested contact your local ham radio club for info

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Arrl field day for those interested in ham radio

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I'm taking my test on Sunday... Probably too late to play, but I've been listening to a few transmissions on my ht. I'll have it on scanning for sure this weekend!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I'm taking my test on Sunday... Probably too late to play, but I've been listening to a few transmissions on my ht. I'll have it on scanning for sure this weekend!
I've passed the tech exam. There is a club near me that is giving exams outside on field day. I've been studying for my general and I think I'm ready.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
cheezit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cheezit »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I'm taking my test on Sunday... Probably too late to play, but I've been listening to a few transmissions on my ht. I'll have it on scanning for sure this weekend!
Nope, you can show up and introduce yourself and see what's going on.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Flightmare wrote: I've passed the tech exam. There is a club near me that is giving exams outside on field day. I've been studying for my general and I think I'm ready.
I took my Tech test (and passed ) a couple of years ago. I took the General test on the same day but missed passing it by 2 questions. I hadn't really studied for it but it didn't cost me any more to try it. I've been trying to study the book that I bought about the General test since but have not been able to spend enough consistent time on it. I'd be grateful for any help about your approach. My problem is that I'm lousy at memorizing stuff that I haven't "touched". I can remember things for decades after I have personal experience with them.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

twjones
Posts in topic: 3

Post by twjones »

If you go to a Field Day site, no license needed to operate on Field Day - you are typically operating under the clubs/treasurers license. So don't let that stop you from getting out and getting on the air.

I'm planning to go to my local FD - first time I've been in several years. Hopefully I'll be able to get on the air for a few hours.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

If you want to find a Field Day site, here is the ARRL Field Day station locator. Not all sites are registered, but you might find one in your neck of the woods.

http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator
NRA lifetime member

twjones

Post by twjones »

Had a great time at Field Day!! Hope everyone enjoyed their time and got home safely. Currently resting and recovering!

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

twjones wrote:Had a great time at Field Day!! Hope everyone enjoyed their time and got home safely. Currently resting and recovering!
I wasn't able to stay long in Arlington but I did pass the Tech exam while I was there. It was interesting to see see different equipment being used.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

I was able to catch some comms between a few people on the repeater in kingwood a little over 5 miles away with my stock UV-5R. Will someday soon take my tech exam so I can see if I could reach that far with a transmission without a better antenna.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

bblhd672 wrote:
twjones wrote:Had a great time at Field Day!! Hope everyone enjoyed their time and got home safely. Currently resting and recovering!
I wasn't able to stay long in Arlington but I did pass the Tech exam while I was there. It was interesting to see see different equipment being used.
Congratulations and welcome to ham radio. It can be a very cheap or very expensive hobby, so be careful!

Chas.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Congratulations and welcome to ham radio. It can be a very cheap or very expensive hobby, so be careful!

Chas.
Yeah, just like shooting. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

mdubtx

Post by mdubtx »

I put in just over an hour logging last night for N5EOC in Southlake. We made several QSOs including a station in the Virgin Islands. Field Day may have ended up getting me sucked into HF & contesting. It was quite fun.
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

twjones

Post by twjones »

Had a contact with the Virgin Islands this morning. Hit Puerto Rico and Panama last night and had several Canada contacts. Overall the bands were cooperative. I was mostly on 15m phone.

Can't say it enough how much fun I had - I was also able to work back to my old clubs in Indiana which was cool.

Return to “Off-Topic”