KG5TNR clear; WB5JFP monitoring

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mdubtx
Posts in topic: 1

KG5TNR clear; WB5JFP monitoring

Post by mdubtx »

Received an email in the 1:00 hour this morning; my call sign has been changed.

WB5JFP was my father's uncle and my great-uncle. Indeed. Everyone knew him as "Cotton" which I assumed was because of his white hair. But, I gather he was "Cotton" even before that. I remember Uncle Cotton brought me silver dollars when he would come up for a visit. And, visiting them in Baytown was great. I remember they had a drip oil lamp in the living room, which had to be one of the coolest things I had known at that point. [Wonder why Mom & Dad wouldn't get us one. LOL] We'd get to drive through the tunnel, take a ride on a ferry, and get some popcorn shrimp. That was cool too until I grew up to know, bigger shrimp = better shrimp!

But probably the coolest thing about Uncle Cotton, he was a ham operator. He would tell me how hams could talk to people thousands of miles away and that was just cool to me. I remember when he started driving OTR. Then, he drove a big rig AND he had a tiny HT ham radio. The cool factor couldn't get much higher, right? ;) He would encourage me to get licensed. When I never gave myself a shot at being able to learn code, he would speak positives into me and knew I could do it. I thought Morse code may as well be an alien language and never even tried it.

I finally got my ham license last month. I looked it up and Uncle Cotton's old call was available. He had changed to a vanity call in 2011 when he upgraded to expert, and passed away in 2013. I will probably do the same and hang on to this call until I upgrade to expert at some point. So, now it is my tribute and a "thank you" to him and his influence.

Now, to learn some Morse code...

WB5JFP
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: KG5TNR clear; WB5JFP monitoring

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

That a great story. You may want to consider keeping that call even when you upgrade.

Chas.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

Thanks for sharing that story.
Always enjoy reading about those little things that turn out to be those great memories.
I often wonder what my kids will remember about their youth when they're grown.

:tiphat:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote:Thanks for sharing that story.
Always enjoy reading about those little things that turn out to be those great memories.

Exactly. I tried to be the best dad that I could be, but I know that I wasn't perfect at it. But my grandkids are a blessing from God as a 2nd chance, and it is my life's goal to establish that kind of legacy with them, so that they remember in all the good ways, and none of the bad.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Thanks for sharing that story.

Exactly. I tried to be the best dad that I could be, but I know that I wasn't perfect at it. But my grandkids are a blessing from God as a 2nd chance, and it is my life's goal to establish that kind of legacy with them, so that they remember in all the good ways, and none of the bad.
My kids are heading for college soon enough. Most of the memory - making is done.
Looking ahead to grandkids some day, I think I'll feel exactly as TAM does.
My kids grew up without grandparents, for the most part. It'll be interesting to see how they embrace us (wife) being grandparents to their kids.

Not TOO soon, hopefully ;-)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Off-Topic”