Katy: What on earth was managment thinking?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Katy: What on earth was managment thinking?

Post by ELB »

Katy cookie store reverses decision to suspend employee after he paid for police officer's order

Cop walks up to counter to buy a brownie. The young man working the counter pays it with his own money. Family behind cop throws a fit, both mother and father threatens to physically attack the young man, call him a racist for not offering to pay for their order.

His direct supervisor tells him he did nothing wrong but issues him a reprimand and suspends him for a week anyway, telling him some senior managers wanted him fired.

His outraged mom posts about it on Facebook and sets off firestorm. (I don't think moms should intervene in every unfortunate event in their kids' employment - it's part of learning to deal with stuff -- but I will cut her some slack in this one).

Management rescinds reprimand and suspension, apologizes, and seems to be claiming they misunderstood the situation when they issued the punishment.

Sure.

I believe some significant details were left out of the story, given the accusations hurled at the young man.

He should find a new place to work. If I had a retail place in that area and had an opening, I would track him down and offer him a job.
USAF 1982-2005

boxermoose
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Katy: What on earth was managment thinking?

Post by boxermoose »

I'd love to see the video of the family lodging the complaint, assume we don't because it backs up the kids story

ktfiend

Post by ktfiend »

It's my understanding that he has received numerous job offers. His previous cookie co. employer has been trying to contact him but neither him or his family will return calls. I don't blame them! I don't really see anything to discuss.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

ELB wrote:Katy cookie store reverses decision to suspend employee after he paid for police officer's order

Cop walks up to counter to buy a brownie. The young man working the counter pays it with his own money. Family behind cop throws a fit, both mother and father threatens to physically attack the young man, call him a racist for not offering to pay for their order.

"intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodily injury"

It's too bad the police officer didn't witness it and arrest both parents who assaulted the employee.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

There's a lot missing in the reportage, but since the company said further investigation revealed the employee "was in the right" indicates to me the manager and company immediately caved to the rants and invective the complaining family hurled when the word "racist" was included. Sad that we have come to the point where an accusation of racism is automatically considered valid. If the father threatened the boy and he believed the man would or could beat him I would think he could still file charges. People like that deserve to be dealt with harshly. IMHO I know where I will NOT be buying cookies.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Yeah, I'd like to see a little more on the lunatic couple also. There's more to this that the press doesn't want to open up.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

My general philosophy is to not get involved in these types of situations, but if I had been there I likely would have felt the need to interject as soon as the threats of physical violence started. This is assuming that the cop had left the scene, of course.

As an aside, my wife dragged me to Katy Mills mall yesterday. I made a point of walking by this cookie shop and noted that they had no customers at all at around 1 PM on a Sunday. Not sure if it was due to this story, but I sure hope so.

I was able to pick up a vest to use for IDPA, and a pair of dress shoes, so it was a good trip. We parked at Bass Pro shop, and walked the length of the mall, stopping at several stores. I only saw one 30.06 sign at a store in the mall, and it was questionable as to whether that one was legit (white letters on clear glass with a white wall right behind the glass, plus a good 20 feet from the door). There were no signs going into the mall that I could see.

bowserb

Post by bowserb »

The good news I see in this thread is that Katy Mills is no longer a 30.06 place. I've not been there in maybe five years, ever since they showed up on the texas3006.com site with 30.06 signs. Just in time, as I need to go to an AT&T store, and that's the closest one with the latest hours.

I'll not be stopping by Great American Cookies, though.
Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Probably good I wasn't there. I've reached that stage in life where I have no filters and no patience for dumber than dirt morons. I hope the kid gets a WAY better job somewhere that will appreciate a good kid.

ETA I see now that was about 8 months ago so presumably the kid is working and doing fine.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ELB »

I googled around and didn't find anymore updates to this. The public part of Zack's (the suspended/unsuspended employee) Facebook page shows him wearing a Texas Aggies shirt giving a thumbs up, and I it appears he is about the right age, so maybe he headed on to college.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Off-Topic”