Greetings from Colorado

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Greetings from Colorado

Post by RPBrown »

karder wrote:Did you ride the million dollar highway? Have fun and safe travels! :cheers2:

Yes. It was fun. Wife got nervous when it started raining so we stopped in Silverton until it stopped along with about 20 other bikers.
Looked like a rush hour on 35 when the rain stopped and we all scrambled out
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

talltex
Posts in topic: 3

Post by talltex »

RPBrown wrote:I would guess that I was mistaken but sure looked to be caribou horns and they were quite close. Close enough to tell they weren't elk unless very deformed
I wouldn't be surprised if someone did buy some from a game preserve and then they got out. That one that got hit in 2006 had a orange plastic ear tag so it had to have come from somewhere and then got out. The Game and Wildlife division cant keep tabs on everyone. And good move waiting out the rain in Silverton--the road from there to Ouray is not one you want to hit a slick spot on riding a bike--not a lot of margin for error!
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPBrown »

talltex wrote:
RPBrown wrote:I would guess that I was mistaken but sure looked to be caribou horns and they were quite close. Close enough to tell they weren't elk unless very deformed
I wouldn't be surprised if someone did buy some from a game preserve and then they got out. That one that got hit in 2006 had a orange plastic ear tag so it had to have come from somewhere and then got out. The Game and Wildlife division cant keep tabs on everyone. And good move waiting out the rain in Silverton--the road from there to Ouray is not one you want to hit a slick spot on riding a bike--not a lot of margin for error!
Personally I would rather ride a bike than be on 4 wheels on that road. A little more maneuverability, I think anyway, and it was a lot more fun
Last edited by RPBrown on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oljames3 »

talltex wrote:
Now you're just making me jealous.
:cryin
I've been all over Texas on my Beemer. Colorado is dream for the future.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

talltex
Posts in topic: 3

Post by talltex »

RPBrown wrote: Personally I would rather ride a bike than be on 4 wheels on that road. A little more maneuverability, I think anyway, and it was a lot more fun
I hear ya'...Kawasaki Concours here, but Wife refuses to ride with me. My first trip to Ouray was on our honeymoon--she'd gone there every summer for years with her family. Late November 1983--and we got into heavy snow in Chama in my 4X4 Chevy Blazer and NM didn't plow the roads at all which had about 18" on them. Couldn't see the road or shoulders, so just aimed for the centerline between the ditches and had to stop a few times to push snow away when it piled up over the bumper in front. Got to the CO line and the road was freshly plowed and sailed into Durango. Next morning sky looked clear but by the time were started down Molas Pass into Silverton it turned into blizzard again. We stopped in café there to wait it out and after a couple of hours the snow let up and there was a trucker there waiting also. He said he had to get to Montrose to pick up a trailer and he was just running the tractor with chains all the way around, and if we wanted to tuck in behind him his rig would pack it down and rough up the surface and we could keep an eye on each other. Within a couple of miles we were driving on a foot or more of snowpack and it started coming down heavy again. Sometimes the wind would gust hard and the snow would swirl up in the air and white out where you couldn't see anything 10 feet in front of you and we'd just stop and sit there for 5-10 minutes until the snow settled back down to where I could see his truck and we'd start easing along again. Made it fine and was probably good that I had no idea what I was driving on that first time or I would have been white knuckled the whole time. Wife never said a word about the road. Went back the next summer and saw that it was just a ledge road with no guardrails. That was back when they didn't have the avalanche sheds built across the frequent slide areas. :shock:
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Return to “Off-Topic”