Texas Ranger pulls gun on driver who flipped him off

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Texas Ranger pulls gun on driver who flipped him off

Post by bblhd672 »

http://kxan.com/investigative-story/tex ... d-him-off/
A Texas Ranger stationed in Austin exercised "poor judgment" in an incident where he pulled over and pointed his gun at a driver who flipped him off in traffic according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
DPS also wrote: "Our employee acted inconsistent with policy, exercised poor judgement, and conducted himself in an unprofessional and discourteous manner - all of which are unacceptable...The department has taken corrective action with this employee regarding the policy infractions.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Ranger pulls gun on driver who flipped him off

Post by TVGuy »

"corrective action"?

If anyone else did that they would be in deep legal trouble. Sounds like he still even has his job!

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

The state issued pickup truck is not equipped with a dash camera, so it's the Ranger's word against the driver in this incident last February.
That part concerns me. State issued vehicle to a Texas Ranger, and no dash cam?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

#1> Flipping the bird is covered under 1A

#2> I grew up in the era of the Colonial Parkway murders. If someone out of uniform in an unmarked car pulled me over and then exited the car with a gun, the day would have ended poorly for all involved.

#3> This officer should be fired. He has proven through his actions that he does not have the proper temperament to be a Texas Ranger.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

I love it when a govt agents break the law, but it's really just a "policy infraction". If ANY of us drew a weapon during a traffic incident, it's against the law and immediately marked "road rage". This Ranger will violate policy again, lets hope no one ends up dead because of it.
Last edited by baseballguy2001 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Cordell Walker would have handled that differently. The driver would have learned to keep his finger in his pocket and the wayward Ranger would have ended up helping a bunch of kids at risk. The lady DA would have been victim of overacting that would make Shatner blush, but you just can't help some people.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jusme »

treadlightly wrote:Cordell Walker would have handled that differently. The driver would have learned to keep his finger in his pocket and the wayward Ranger would have ended up helping a bunch of kids at risk. The lady DA would have been victim of overacting that would make Shatner blush, but you just can't help some people.

His finger would have simply shriveled up and fallen off, if that had been Ranger Walker!! :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

DEB

Post by DEB »

I personally don't blame the Ranger. If folks would keep their hands to themselves, don't cuss out others, don't be flipping them off, then probably most of all problems would be corrected. I have been in the car with my wife and grandchildren and people show off their anger. They know that I cannot respond. I believe there was a reason why they say the Old West was polite. Someone is mad enough to flip someone off or cuss them, they probably are mad enough to physically harm them. Leave folks be, is my take.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

DEB wrote:I personally don't blame the Ranger. If folks would keep their hands to themselves, don't cuss out others, don't be flipping them off, then probably most of all problems would be corrected. I have been in the car with my wife and grandchildren and people show off their anger. They know that I cannot respond. I believe there was a reason why they say the Old West was polite. Someone is mad enough to flip someone off or cuss them, they probably are mad enough to physically harm them. Leave folks be, is my take.
:headscratch
NRA Endowment Member

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WTR »

No excuse for the Ranger's actions. He should be an example of behavior.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

DEB wrote:I personally don't blame the Ranger.
I personally blame anyone who threatens deadly force in response to hurt feelings.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jusme »

DEB wrote:I personally don't blame the Ranger. If folks would keep their hands to themselves, don't cuss out others, don't be flipping them off, then probably most of all problems would be corrected. I have been in the car with my wife and grandchildren and people show off their anger. They know that I cannot respond. I believe there was a reason why they say the Old West was polite. Someone is mad enough to flip someone off or cuss them, they probably are mad enough to physically harm them. Leave folks be, is my take.

When I was a LEO, we were trained that we could not be offended. While obscene gestures are considered disorderly conduct, if the officer is the only one who sees it, and there is no complainant, it's no harm no foul. If I had reacted, to every gesture, or insult directed towards me, as a LEO, I would not have had a job, very long. Since most Rangers drive, unmarked vehicles, and wear no uniform, it's very possible the guy was unaware that he was showing his stupidity, and ill manners to a LEO, but even so, the Ranger, should not have reacted in that manner. If there was another violation, to pull the guy over, then I can understand the stop. But unless there was a threat to his safety, he was out of line, by drawing his gun. Every Ranger I have been associated with, always displayed the utmost in professionalism, and decorum, and I have the highest respect for the job they do. But as they say about one bad apple...
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

karder

Post by karder »

steveincowtown wrote:#3> This officer should be fired. He has proven through his actions that he does not have the proper temperament to be a Texas Ranger.
:iagree:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 1911 10MM »

Sticks and stones may break bones but names and gestures don't hurt. Threatening deadly force over a gesture is extremely poor judgement. The Ranger should be fired.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WTR »

1911 10MM wrote:
Sticks and stones may break bones but names and gestures don't hurt. Threatening deadly force over a gesture is extremely poor judgement. The Ranger should be fired.
I wouldn't fire him, but I'd send him back thru the academy any he would be wearing a DPS Officers uniform again. And I mean rookie.

Return to “Off-Topic”