Texas Ranger pulls gun on driver who flipped him off

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Ranger pulls gun on driver who flipped him off

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Jusme wrote:
DEB wrote:I personally don't blame the Ranger. If folks would keep their hands to themselves, don't cuss out others, don't be flipping them off, then probably most of all problems would be corrected. I have been in the car with my wife and grandchildren and people show off their anger. They know that I cannot respond. I believe there was a reason why they say the Old West was polite. Someone is mad enough to flip someone off or cuss them, they probably are mad enough to physically harm them. Leave folks be, is my take.

When I was a LEO, we were trained that we could not be offended. While obscene gestures are considered disorderly conduct, if the officer is the only one who sees it, and there is no complainant, it's no harm no foul. If I had reacted, to every gesture, or insult directed towards me, as a LEO, I would not have had a job, very long. Since most Rangers drive, unmarked vehicles, and wear no uniform, it's very possible the guy was unaware that he was showing his stupidity, and ill manners to a LEO, but even so, the Ranger, should not have reacted in that manner. If there was another violation, to pull the guy over, then I can understand the stop. But unless there was a threat to his safety, he was out of line, by drawing his gun. Every Ranger I have been associated with, always displayed the utmost in professionalism, and decorum, and I have the highest respect for the job they do. But as they say about one bad apple...
I was taught the same thing. Unless a Civilian objected to such gestures or language, we couldn't bust them for Disorderly.

I had a discussion last week with a security officer at Wally World last week about His disorderly conduct. After all was said and done he had learned something and we parted amicably.

:coolgleamA:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Jusme wrote:
DEB wrote:I personally don't blame the Ranger. If folks would keep their hands to themselves, don't cuss out others, don't be flipping them off, then probably most of all problems would be corrected. I have been in the car with my wife and grandchildren and people show off their anger. They know that I cannot respond. I believe there was a reason why they say the Old West was polite. Someone is mad enough to flip someone off or cuss them, they probably are mad enough to physically harm them. Leave folks be, is my take.

When I was a LEO, we were trained that we could not be offended. While obscene gestures are considered disorderly conduct, if the officer is the only one who sees it, and there is no complainant, it's no harm no foul. If I had reacted, to every gesture, or insult directed towards me, as a LEO, I would not have had a job, very long. Since most Rangers drive, unmarked vehicles, and wear no uniform, it's very possible the guy was unaware that he was showing his stupidity, and ill manners to a LEO, but even so, the Ranger, should not have reacted in that manner. If there was another violation, to pull the guy over, then I can understand the stop. But unless there was a threat to his safety, he was out of line, by drawing his gun. Every Ranger I have been associated with, always displayed the utmost in professionalism, and decorum, and I have the highest respect for the job they do. But as they say about one bad apple...
:iagree: An LEO must practice restraint and self-control under stressful conditions. Any LEO who loses their temper from being given the finger by a passing motorist needs to be in another line of work.
NRA Endowment Member

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flechero »

Something in the reporting is off, I think. (usually is these days)

I won't be so quick to condemn the Ranger. I've seen enough hot heads in traffic to know that most people that flip the bird and swerve aggressively wouldn't bat an eye to lie about the details to stay out of trouble or maliciously get another in trouble.

Lets see..... an admitted hot head (cursing, screaming and exhibiting road rage) and a Tx Ranger in word vs. word. I'll lean towards the side of the Ranger in this one until more evidence is presented, thank you. :tiphat:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jusme »

flechero wrote:Something in the reporting is off, I think. (usually is these days)

I won't be so quick to condemn the Ranger. I've seen enough hot heads in traffic to know that most people that flip the bird and swerve aggressively wouldn't bat an eye to lie about the details to stay out of trouble or maliciously get another in trouble.

Lets see..... an admitted hot head (cursing, screaming and exhibiting road rage) and a Tx Ranger in word vs. word. I'll lean towards the side of the Ranger in this one until more evidence is presented, thank you. :tiphat:

Yeah, I would normally agree, but the only incriminating evidence comes from his supervisor, who stated that the Ranger was out of line. They usually won't release a statement, until they have enough evidence.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Texas Rangers, actually all LEO's, are supposed to be adults entrusted to public safety and above getting butt hurt by juvenile gestures to the point of drawing their weapon on citizens. I do blame this Ranger for his immature, belligerent behavior that demonstrated that his selection as one of the elite Rangers was a mistake. This incident could very well have ended up with a scared citizen being gunned down because a licensed Texas peace officer lost his cool on the highway. There's no more excusing his actions than there is to excusing the actions of the road rage criminals who shot and killed a man on I-20 in Arlington recently.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WTR »

I think the Ranger needs to fired for the simple fact he is lying to cover himself .

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

steveincowtown wrote:#1> Flipping the bird is covered under 1A

#2> I grew up in the era of the Colonial Parkway murders. If someone out of uniform in an unmarked car pulled me over and then exited the car with a gun, the day would have ended poorly for all involved.

#3> This officer should be fired. He has proven through his actions that he does not have the proper temperament to be a Texas Ranger.
I support our law enforcement officers, but I have to agree with you on all three counts. The ranger fortunately didn't encounter some one who reacted with equal force. I'm glad there was not a tragic outcome here.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

steveincowtown wrote:#1> Flipping the bird is covered under 1A

#2> I grew up in the era of the Colonial Parkway murders. If someone out of uniform in an unmarked car pulled me over and then exited the car with a gun, the day would have ended poorly for all involved.

#3> This officer should be fired. He has proven through his actions that he does not have the proper temperament to be a Texas Ranger.
IMHO, this officer should be in jail. He's lucky he's not dead. What an absolute moron.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I agree that we should all be civil, and we shouldn't react with anger in any way, including flipping people off. But I disagree with you that it is OK to pull a gun on someone who flips me off. I have been flipped off (and otherwise insulted) many times over my life, but I have fortunately had enough maturity to not pull a gun in response. Ever.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
I agree that we should all be civil, and we shouldn't react with anger in any way, including flipping people off. But I disagree with you that it is OK to pull a gun on someone who flips me off. I have been flipped off (and otherwise insulted) many times over my life, but I have fortunately had enough maturity to not pull a gun in response. Ever.

:iagree:

I have survived being flipped off, cussed at, and criticized, and never had to resort to deadly force. Those who engage in such behavior, are not worth my time, so any response on my part, is taking time away from me and mine. Besides, a friendly wave, seems to put people at a disadvantage, since their actions don't cause an escalating reaction from me. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

OlBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OlBill »

This is unfortunate.

Apparently he's from Baytown and has been a Ranger less than a year.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Jusme wrote: :iagree:
I have survived being flipped off, cussed at, and criticized, and never had to resort to deadly force. Those who engage in such behavior, are not worth my time, so any response on my part, is taking time away from me and mine. Besides, a friendly wave, seems to put people at a disadvantage, since their actions don't cause an escalating reaction from me. JMHO
This is just my opinion, but sometimes even a friendly wave in response to a middle finger can escalate the situation. Someone who is already mad can take the wave as a sign of disrespect in the face of his anger, and things can heat up even more. I find that simply ignoring the person and not making eye contact is the best course.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

It's the heat. Texas summers bring out the worst in all of us....well, maybe just some of us.

Topic author
bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Oldgringo wrote:It's the heat. Texas summers bring out the worst in all of us....well, maybe just some of us.
The incident happened in February, otherwise known in Texas as early summer when the heat is not as bad. :mrgreen:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

flechero

Post by flechero »

Jusme wrote:
flechero wrote:Something in the reporting is off, I think. (usually is these days)

Yeah, I would normally agree, but the only incriminating evidence comes from his supervisor, who stated that the Ranger was out of line. They usually won't release a statement, until they have enough evidence.
Out of line - I do agree with, but that doesn't necessarily mean illegal. We see a lot these days where right/wrong are used interchangeably legal/illegal and we know they actually aren't interchangeable. (and out of line by the Ranger standards is a lot more stringent than out of line by most others) Not making excuses for him, but I think the calls for his job and prosecution are extremely premature, at least until the all the facts are all out there.

Return to “Off-Topic”