...820 pound wild hog in his front yard

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

...820 pound wild hog in his front yard

Post by RogueUSMC »

A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ...820 pound wild hog in his front yard

Post by crazy2medic »

I was most impressed by the fact the hog had 6 inch tush, I wonder how big his tusks were, I'm impressed that 3 rounds of 38spl took that hog down, wonder what his shot placement was?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

crazy2medic wrote:I was most impressed by the fact the hog had 6 inch tush, I wonder how big his tusks were, I'm impressed that 3 rounds of 38spl took that hog down, wonder what his shot placement was?
It would have to be through the ribs on the side, between the shoulder and the neck on a downward angle or behind the ear traveling from rear to front.
From the picture, I do believe that the weight was more than just slightly exaggerated. I would estimate it at no more than 450 lbs.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:I was most impressed by the fact the hog had 6 inch tush, I wonder how big his tusks were, I'm impressed that 3 rounds of 38spl took that hog down, wonder what his shot placement was?
It would have to be through the ribs on the side, between the shoulder and the neck on a downward angle or behind the ear traveling from rear to front.
From the picture, I do believe that the weight was more than just slightly exaggerated. I would estimate it at no more than 450 lbs.

Yeah it sounded a little heavy to me too, maybe the peanut scales are set to "cheat" just a little. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

crazy2medic wrote:I was most impressed by the fact the hog had 6 inch tush, I wonder how big his tusks were
"rlol" I didn't catch that when I read it the first time. Evidently neither did the writer nor his editor.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RogueUSMC »

bblhd672 wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:I was most impressed by the fact the hog had 6 inch tush, I wonder how big his tusks were
"rlol" I didn't catch that when I read it the first time. Evidently neither did the writer nor his editor.
Well, they are in Alabama soooo...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

A friend of a friend just got through his run in with wild hog here in North TX. Supposedly he saw him and shot him with his 308. Boar dropped to the ground. As he (friend of a friend) approached him the boar suddenly got up and proceeded to rip the inner part of his leg wide open with his tusk before he got shot once again with 308 point blank and finally died.

Now, I can't confirm or deny :mrgreen: the story as I wasn't there, but I can confirm that the guy ended up with the gash the size of Texas from the tusks.

Those are some tough skinned critters, not sure about the 38 business, but I'd probably want a magnum sized revolver (44mag, 454 casull etc.) or a hot 45-70 at least with me.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I've killed lots of hogs. I've shot a many of them in different sized traps, where you could use a pistol. The only two places I have ever shot a hog where he went right down was through the spinal column just behind the head, and just above the eyes in the center of the head. Either of those places would allow you to bring down a hog with a .38. ANYWHERE else and he is not going to stop. One time I shot a trapped 250 lb boar in the head three times with a .357 magnum JHP and he still didn't die.

As for the weight, nope, ain't buying that. Maybe 400 - 450.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Lynyrd wrote:I've killed lots of hogs. I've shot a many of them in different sized traps, where you could use a pistol. The only two places I have ever shot a hog where he went right down was through the spinal column just behind the head, and just above the eyes in the center of the head. Either of those places would allow you to bring down a hog with a .38. ANYWHERE else and he is not going to stop. One time I shot a trapped 250 lb boar in the head three times with a .357 magnum JHP and he still didn't die.

As for the weight, nope, ain't buying that. Maybe 400 - 450.
Maybe he was full of lead. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Another vote for 400-450 instead of 820. That hog is big but not YUGE.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

This is a big hog.

My friend's brother shot one on our deer lease in Palo Pinto Co. a few years ago that was easily this large. We never weighed that pig. I've always wondered what it would have weighed. Its hooves were the size of those on a heifer calf.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

I guided hog hunts for almost 18 years. IMHO, that hog was not 800+ lbs.

Here's one I took that went almost 400. 71" snout to rear laying on the ground, longer when up on the gambrel. Use it as a comparative.

http://easttexasrancher.blogspot.com/se ... -results=5

Return to “Off-Topic”