Tip for hot showers

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Tip for hot showers

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

No, don't start that guys!

I take hot showers, very hot showers. When I get out, the mirrors are fogged and the light fixtures and pretty much everything in the bathroom is dripping wet. I've even had water dripping from the ceiling on a few occasions. When i open the doors to the master bedroom, it heats up that room and it takes a while for the a/c to catch up, especially when the bedroom door is closed.

I read a tip somewhere and didn't think it would work, but it was worth a try. It works great. Just turn on the exhaust fan and leave the door to the smaller toilet room open There no fogged mirrors, no wet fixtures and the bathroom is only slightly warmer than normal. I mean very slightly warmer. I would never have thought a fart fan would move enough air to clear an entire master bathroom.

Remember, don't start that guys!!!
Chas.

mojo84

Re: Tip for hot showers

Post by mojo84 »

We are having our master shower rebuilt. The tile guy told me to be sure to turn on our exhaust fan when showering because more moisture builds up than people realize. We even had a few spots of mold behind a couple of tiles.

The exhaust fans make a huge difference.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

My fart fan surely can clear the whole house, not just master bedroom :smilelol5:

I'm sorry, couldn't resist. Good post and funny too, I spilled some coffee as I thought about the fan "rlol"

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

mojo84 wrote:We are having our master shower rebuilt. The tile guy told me to be sure to turn on our exhaust fan when showering because more moisture builds up than people realize. We even had a few spots of mold behind a couple of tiles.

Agreed. When we did our master bath remodel, we over-engineered any parts that would be helpful in removing water - because of the risk that mold can destroy a house so easily. Drain pipes were a bit bigger than normal, an additional floor drain was added, and three exhaust fans were included.

Three? Yes, three. One for the 'fart fan' as Charles so gracefully referred to it. One for inside the shower room (we glassed in the end of the bathroom and made a big 10" x 16' room with a huge tub and two ceiling-mount rainshower heads). And, since we relocated our washer & dryer into the attached walk-in closet, we put another fan in there to keep the humidity levels low where we hang our clothes. All three fans have motion sensors, so they activate when you enter the room. The closet and shower room fans also have humidity sensors, so they activate if the humidity level creeps up just a little bit.

From a volume perspective, any one of the three fans would be sufficient to manage the size rooms we have, but like I said, humidity was a risk area we wanted no part of, so we built in redundancy and overcapacity, for not that much $$.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

As an HVAC guy, I can tell you that bathroom exhaust fans are actually designed in a house to do just that, remove the moisture. The smell removal is actually an added benefit.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I use it, I just need an auto switch for when my wife takes her marathon showers! Don't tell her I said that! :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Vol Texan wrote:
mojo84 wrote:We are having our master shower rebuilt. The tile guy told me to be sure to turn on our exhaust fan when showering because more moisture builds up than people realize. We even had a few spots of mold behind a couple of tiles.

Agreed. When we did our master bath remodel, we over-engineered any parts that would be helpful in removing water - because of the risk that mold can destroy a house so easily. Drain pipes were a bit bigger than normal, an additional floor drain was added, and three exhaust fans were included.

Three? Yes, three. One for the 'fart fan' as Charles so gracefully referred to it. One for inside the shower room (we glassed in the end of the bathroom and made a big 10" x 16' room with a huge tub and two ceiling-mount rainshower heads). And, since we relocated our washer & dryer into the attached walk-in closet, we put another fan in there to keep the humidity levels low where we hang our clothes. All three fans have motion sensors, so they activate when you enter the room. The closet and shower room fans also have humidity sensors, so they activate if the humidity level creeps up just a little bit.

From a volume perspective, any one of the three fans would be sufficient to manage the size rooms we have, but like I said, humidity was a risk area we wanted no part of, so we built in redundancy and overcapacity, for not that much $$.
Do you also have conditioned fresh air make-up, or do you draw the house negative? :headscratch
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I've done two things related:

Changed the light switches for the exhaust fans to timers. There are buttons for 'off', 5/10/15/30 minutes.

When I finally replaced the builder grade single pane windows throughout the house, I replaced the fixed picture window in the bathroom with a sliding one. So (if it's not 100 degrees out), I'll open that window, and another in the bedroom, creating an awesome draft that carries the steam away with it :-)
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Always have the fan running when showering.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:

(snip)

Do you also have conditioned fresh air make-up, or do you draw the house negative? :headscratch
We have two incoming ducts into the room. If all three exhaust fans would be running at once, it would be a negative draw, but (a) it is rare that all three are going simultaneously, and (b) the bedroom is adjacent with its own robust supply of incoming air.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

Wait, that's not what those fans are for? I always thought they were for removing the added heat and moisture from showering, though I do also use them when I sit on the porcelain throne...
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

This is news?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I have always used the exhaust fan in the main bathroom area to reduce the moisture level, and the fan in the smaller room to reduce odor. Now, there is something new to help with the latter issue

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

When we built our retirement home, I had an exhaust fan built directly above the shower. No humidity in our bathroom.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Oldgringo wrote:This is news?
Nope.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “Off-Topic”