Ground Speed please

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ground Speed please

Post by WildBill »

Great video. Thanks for the post. :thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

"rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" "rlol" Glad I wasn't drinking coffee while listening.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

The fact that this beast was built over 50 years ago and retired almost two decades ago, without something faster and better to replace it is a sad fact.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

A buddy of mine few Tomcats in the Navy, he's getting this link!

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I like a lot... Today, we should ask.... A Korean ICBM is flying over the pole... Ground speed please, we are the good guys. We need to knock it off its destination.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

crazy2medic wrote:My understanding is the SR71 could overfly the soviet union, that because of it's speed and altitude by the time the russian picked it up on radar, got a missile lock, launched the missile the SR71 was out of range!
The MiG-25 Foxbat was designed solely to be able to chase and shoot the SR-71. Never heard whether that worked for them or not. But Victor Belenko stole one and we took it apart in Japan.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

Yes, and we found out the soviets were using vacuum tubes when we were using integrated circuits.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

RSX11

Post by RSX11 »

Yep, the godless communists were using vacuum tubes in the Foxbat - but, our engineers speculated that much of the reason for that was the ability of vacuum tubes to shrug of the effects of an EMP from a nuclear blast, unlike the semiconductors of the time. As well, vacuum tube gear can handle extreme temperatures better, and, at the time, could handle vastly more power - that allowed the Foxbat to have a 600 kilowatt search radar. 600 KW is a lottta power....

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

I've replayed it 3-4 times in the past 2 days... giggle every time. :lol:

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

From the world of the really sloooooow...

Having spent most of my adult life as a helicopter pilot, there are hundreds of funny radio calls heard over that time. One that sticks out in my memory is when we were flying for Exxon on the Exxon Valdez oil spill and cleanup. Valdez airport was a major pickup and drop off point, and there was a VFR reporting point in Prince William Sound, short of the airfield, called "Naked Island." One of our crews was on approach and when they called Valdez tower to report their position, they were told, as usual, to "Report Naked." The new-ish female co-pilot replied, "Uh, I don't think so!" Lot's of radio comments ensued, all of which I cannot repeat here. :mrgreen:

Shadow41

Post by Shadow41 »

That was great. Good way to end a long week, thanks.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

RSX11 wrote:Yep, the godless communists were using vacuum tubes in the Foxbat - but, our engineers speculated that much of the reason for that was the ability of vacuum tubes to shrug of the effects of an EMP from a nuclear blast, unlike the semiconductors of the time. As well, vacuum tube gear can handle extreme temperatures better, and, at the time, could handle vastly more power - that allowed the Foxbat to have a 600 kilowatt search radar. 600 KW is a lottta power....
Vacuum tubes in power applications are still viable, and some of the vacuum tubes in Russian avionics were very miniature, about the size of a transistor (counting the encapsulating plastic) which does roughly the same thing as a vacuum tube.

It wasn't that long ago that virtually all computers had vacuum tubes. That thing you stared at, your CRT display? Yep, you were staring at a vacuum tube, right into the electron stream's muzzle.

Return to “Off-Topic”