Six Flags is history...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Six Flags is history...

Post by RPBrown »

carlson1 wrote:
RPBrown wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
RPBrown wrote:Unfortunately my grand daughter works in customer service at 6 flags.
Now this kid is 16 years old and this is her first real job.
She was being yelled and screamed at all day yesterday because corporate made the stupid decision to remove the flags.
As much as I disagree with the decision, come on folks, these are kids, and they had no input whatsoever in the decision.
So we should just immediately ask for her supervisor when we call?
Why not do as I did, contact corporate and complain directly to the ones that made the decision. Not to a 16 year old girl working the ticket booth.
For what it's worth, she quit today because of that decision.
:iagree: The way to handle it is by calling those who made the decision. I hate to hear she quit because the darkest room needs the brightest light.
Even at 16, she has more smarts than anyone on the left.
Due to the end of season, she was down to part time only so she is going to work for me at my office when she gets out of school. That way we can make sure she is off work in time if she has a bowling match (something 6, err, 1 flag wouldn't do). As a junior, she already has scholarship offers from a couple of colleges for bowling.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LeonCarr »

I drove through Arlington today, down One Flag Drive and down Road To One Flag Drive. "rlol"

It is so silly that they take down five of the flags because of one flag, and don't change everything that says Six Flags.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

FrogFan

Post by FrogFan »

I contacted Six Flags yesterday via their web site and complained about their decision to go with only one flag and to deny their previous interest in history. Here's what I got in response:
Thank you for contacting Six Flags regarding your concern. Thank you for contacting Six Flags regarding your concern. At Six Flags we strive every single day to make people happy and to create a fun, thrilling and safe family friendly experience for our guests. We always choose to focus on celebrating the things that unite us versus those that divide us. As such, we have changed the flag displays in our park(s) to feature American flags. Six Flags is about bringing people together to have fun and create fond, long-lasting memories. We want to focus on positive symbols that everyone can support.
Lame, I say.

talltex

Post by talltex »

Once the groundswell starts, there is no way to predict where it will end. Sixty days ago, none of this was realistically on the horizon--there were some protests and rhetoric about symbols of oppression but not much action. In one evening, all that changed because of Charlottesville. Within one week, cities all over the country are in the process of removing statues and monuments to try and avoid problems. It won't stop--even when all the Confederate monuments and symbols are removed--this will only encourage MORE of the same actions focused on any other issue they decide to go after next. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, and now that a few groups have seen how successfully they can bend the media and public officials to their will, they will be much MORE aggressive. I saw a story a few days ago where a Preacher in Chicago is already calling for removal of any statues or memorials to George Washington because he was a slave owner. Are we going to demolish or rename the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial?? We are going to see an attempt to "sanitize" the history of our Country by this movement, rather than using it as a teaching and discussion opportunity that MIGHT bring some people together, rather than driving our country further and further apart, but I think that chance is no longer possible.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

FrogFan wrote:I contacted Six Flags yesterday via their web site and complained about their decision to go with only one flag and to deny their previous interest in history. Here's what I got in response:
Thank you for contacting Six Flags regarding your concern. Thank you for contacting Six Flags regarding your concern. At Six Flags we strive every single day to make people happy and to create a fun, thrilling and safe family friendly experience for our guests. We always choose to focus on celebrating the things that unite us versus those that divide us. As such, we have changed the flag displays in our park(s) to feature American flags. Six Flags is about bringing people together to have fun and create fond, long-lasting memories. We want to focus on positive symbols that everyone can support.
Lame, I say.
They want to "focus on positive symbols that everyone can support"? Do they know that a large number of Americans do not support the American flag (see NFL anthem protests, flag burnings, etc)?

If they want to only focus on symbols that EVERYONE can support, then they need to have no symbols whatsoever. In this day and age, there is nothing that EVERYONE can support.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

talltex wrote:Once the groundswell starts, there is no way to predict where it will end. Sixty days ago, none of this was realistically on the horizon--there were some protests and rhetoric about symbols of oppression but not much action. In one evening, all that changed because of Charlottesville. Within one week, cities all over the country are in the process of removing statues and monuments to try and avoid problems. It won't stop--even when all the Confederate monuments and symbols are removed--this will only encourage MORE of the same actions focused on any other issue they decide to go after next. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, and now that a few groups have seen how successfully they can bend the media and public officials to their will, they will be much MORE aggressive. I saw a story a few days ago where a Preacher in Chicago is already calling for removal of any statues or memorials to George Washington because he was a slave owner. Are we going to demolish or rename the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial?? We are going to see an attempt to "sanitize" the history of our Country by this movement, rather than using it as a teaching and discussion opportunity that MIGHT bring some people together, rather than driving our country further and further apart, but I think that chance is no longer possible.
History has shown us time and time again that a zealous minority who is willing to use violence and terror can defeat a passive majority who is unwilling to resist. We are seeing that same thing happen here with the riots against free speech and the destruction of "inconvenient" historical monuments. To paraphrase a saying "at first they came for the extremists, and I did not help because I wasn't an extremist. Then they defined me as an extremist and there was no one left to help me." Or something like that.

Orwell would be disappointed to see that his warnings have been ignored.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
talltex wrote:Once the groundswell starts, there is no way to predict where it will end. Sixty days ago, none of this was realistically on the horizon--there were some protests and rhetoric about symbols of oppression but not much action. In one evening, all that changed because of Charlottesville. Within one week, cities all over the country are in the process of removing statues and monuments to try and avoid problems. It won't stop--even when all the Confederate monuments and symbols are removed--this will only encourage MORE of the same actions focused on any other issue they decide to go after next. You can't put the genie back in the bottle, and now that a few groups have seen how successfully they can bend the media and public officials to their will, they will be much MORE aggressive. I saw a story a few days ago where a Preacher in Chicago is already calling for removal of any statues or memorials to George Washington because he was a slave owner. Are we going to demolish or rename the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial?? We are going to see an attempt to "sanitize" the history of our Country by this movement, rather than using it as a teaching and discussion opportunity that MIGHT bring some people together, rather than driving our country further and further apart, but I think that chance is no longer possible.
History has shown us time and time again that a zealous minority who is willing to use violence and terror can defeat a passive majority who is unwilling to resist. We are seeing that same thing happen here with the riots against free speech and the destruction of "inconvenient" historical monuments. To paraphrase a saying "at first they came for the extremists, and I did not help because I wasn't an extremist. Then they defined me as an extremist and there was no one left to help me." Or something like that.

Orwell would be disappointed to see that his warnings have been ignored.
Not my countrymen.

The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

FrogFan wrote:I contacted Six Flags yesterday via their web site and complained about their decision to go with only one flag and to deny their previous interest in history. Here's what I got in response:
Lame, I say.
I got the EXACT same response. It is their canned media statement. :mad5
Do what you say you're gonna do.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

bblhd672 wrote:
Not my countrymen.

When Voltaire said he might agree with what another said but would defend to the death his right to say it, I didn't think he considered the futility of waging war on two fronts.

On one front defending the right to a disagreeable opinion, on another front defending himself from the disagreeable blowhard.

I have never been in a situation to rightfully defend another to the death. I hope I could answer that call if necessary, but I think defending an attacker to the death is an exercise in cognitive discord.

I wish the feral souls in that picture no harm. I wish they would just go away. I also do not wish to see my rights and my heritage disappear, including those parts of my heritage I find disgusting.

Shouldn't somebody be defending my right to history we all find shameful?

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

treadlightly wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Not my countrymen.

When Voltaire said he might agree with what another said but would defend to the death his right to say it, I didn't think he considered the futility of waging war on two fronts.

On one front defending the right to a disagreeable opinion, on another front defending himself from the disagreeable blowhard.

I have never been in a situation to rightfully defend another to the death. I hope I could answer that call if necessary, but I think defending an attacker to the death is an exercise in cognitive discord.

I wish the feral souls in that picture no harm. I wish they would just go away. I also do not wish to see my rights and my heritage disappear, including those parts of my heritage I find disgusting.

Shouldn't somebody be defending my right to history we all find shameful?
I wish the people in that picture harm. I wish the Lord would turn them into pillars of salt - or something. Furthermore, I do not find parts of my heritage disgusting. It was what it was and we have since moved forward.

Return to “Off-Topic”