Not again!!!

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 12

Not again!!!

Post by bmwrdr »

Another U.S. Navy destroyer collides with a merchant ship, rescue efforts underway

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/an ... 811b50455e

I hope this comes to an end soon!
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Not again!!!

Post by crazy2medic »

Navy ships still have radar don't they?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

crazy2medic wrote:Navy ships still have radar don't they?
Radar, satellite, night vision systems and a manned bridge! A 600 foot tanker can be seen in a fair distance too. Lets see how this will be explained sometimes soon.
It just made me think, there were serious airplane incidents in the past years, some went completely missing, one flew straight into a mountain in the Swiss alps and now we see two "accidents" with some huge ships involved! There were no details reported about the vessel in the incident on the Japanese coast either!

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 1911 10MM »

crazy2medic wrote:Navy ships still have radar don't they?
They also have lookouts FWD and AFT on both port and Starboard sides. That is a busy area of the world in those shipping lanes. You best be on your game.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

There is the possibility that we are seeing the results of a near total reliance on technology and a SERIOUS maintenance problem. Along with not enough properly trained and motivated lookouts.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:There is the possibility that we are seeing the results of a near total reliance on technology and a SERIOUS maintenance problem. Along with not enough properly trained and motivated lookouts.
:iagree: Maintenace flaws are an issue across all military installations.

This was the fourth incident on a NAVY ship this year so far!

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

Then Navy needs to shelve the "sensitivity training" manuals and dust off the "seamanship" manuals. Perhaps fire a few SJW-friendly admirals.
All branches of the military need to focus on their mission - break things and kill the enemy, not on social/political experiments. :mad5
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/34734 ... collisions
Adm. John Richardson, the chief of naval operations, will call for a temporary halt in operations for the Pacific-based 7th Fleet, the forces that operate around Japan.

“He has put together a broader inquiry to look into these incidents and to determine any of the causal factors to determine what’s going on,” Defense Secretary James Mattis told reporters while traveling in Amman, Jordan.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

It's the USS McCain. Rudderless and constantly moving in the wrong direction, often on purpose, with no clue of true north and the proper course to follow.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

LDB415 wrote:It's the USS McCain. Rudderless and constantly moving in the wrong direction, often on purpose, with no clue of true north and the proper course to follow.

:tiphat: :iagree: "rlol"

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

LDB415 wrote:It's the USS McCain. Rudderless and constantly moving in the wrong direction, often on purpose, with no clue of true north and the proper course to follow.
The USS John McCain was not named after Senator John McCain (D/R-Arizona). It was named after his grandfather and father. That doesn't necessarily change the truth of your statement. :mrgreen:

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

There have been collisions at sea since the first two rafts went into the water.

My heart goes out to the families of the lost and their shipmates.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The profession of arms is a dangerous business. Peacetime losses have always seemed the hardest for me. As military leaders, we do the best we can to keep our troops safe, knowing all the while that, despite our best efforts, the odds are against us. Indeed, prayers for the families and shipmates of those lost.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Excaliber »

Inquiring minds might want to know why modern Navy destroyers that are fast, agile, crewed by highly trained professionals, and have the best high tech situational awareness electronics money can buy can get rammed by huge merchant vessels with lots fewer gadgets and second and third rate crews.

They also might want to know why the huge merchant vessels don't seem to run into each other - just into Navy ships. And not just any Navy ships - but the latest Areleigh Burke class destroyers that would be sorely needed in any conflict with North Korea.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Excaliber wrote:Inquiring minds might want to know why modern Navy destroyers that are fast, agile, crewed by highly trained professionals, and have the best high tech situational awareness electronics money can buy can get rammed by huge merchant vessels with lots fewer gadgets and second and third rate crews.

They also might want to know why the huge merchant vessels don't seem to run into each other - just into Navy ships. And not just any Navy ships - but the latest Areleigh Burke class destroyers that would be sorely needed in any conflict with North Korea.
:iagree:
And why are there high ranking officers talking about busy lanes in certain areas?Should those ships be sent into a war zone?

Return to “Off-Topic”