Acquittal in Bundy Ranch Prosecutions

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Acquittal in Bundy Ranch Prosecutions

Post by KLB »

In a stunning setback to federal prosecutors planning to try the Bundy family patriarch and two adult sons later this year, the jury acquitted Ricky Lovelien and Steven Stewart of all 10 charges, and delivered not-guilty findings on most charges against Scott Drexler and Eric Parker.
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/aug/2 ... -standoff/

Beiruty

Re: Acquittal in Bundy Ranch Prosecutions

Post by Beiruty »

Some got convicted.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Beiruty wrote:Some got convicted.
Not in this trial. They were all acquitted or no verdict. Maybe the feds will try two of them a third time... :banghead:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jury nullification.

"Peers". Indeed.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 3

Post by crazy2medic »

After reading the "Rules" The judge placed on the defendants testimony I would have voted for acquittal also!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

These guys should buy a lotto ticket. You have the same chance of winning as of beating the Feds.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ELB

Post by ELB »

Wow.
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ScottDLS wrote:These guys should buy a lotto ticket. You have the same chance of winning as of beating the Feds.
You'd think so, but I keep remembering that Randy Weaver beat the Feds in court too, and at the time, it seemed like the odds were against his victory just based on a cynical view of what I thought the courts would do, and how far I thought the Feds would go to try and bury him.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

ELB wrote:Wow.
:iagree:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

crazy2medic wrote:After reading the "Rules" The judge placed on the defendants testimony I would have voted for acquittal also!
:iagree: It sounds like a sham trial, not an effort to get at the truth of what happened.

Barring the defendants from saying why they were there in the first place? This would be like a LEO being tried for pointing a gun at someone while exercising a "no knock" warrant and then the judge refusing to let them tell the jury why they were at the house in the first place. And that would be just as wrong.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

The justice system isn't about justice, it is about conviction rates.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I believe a juror has the right to decide A. Was the law broken?, B. Is the law being applied fairly? C. Is the law itself fair and constitutional?
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WTR »

crazy2medic wrote:I believe a juror has the right to decide A. Was the law broken?, B. Is the law being applied fairly? C. Is the law itself fair and constitutional?
I've never been selected for a jury. I imagine you have to take an oath to enforce the law. If so, B and C are not what you have sworn to do. If you can't do that, say so and not be chosen to serve .

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

george wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:I believe a juror has the right to decide A. Was the law broken?, B. Is the law being applied fairly? C. Is the law itself fair and constitutional?
Watch your step! Thinking like that will get you in a lot of trouble.
:iagree:

From what I understand the charge here stemmed from someone pointing a gun at someone else. Pointing a gun at someone can be legal or illegal depending on the circumstances, so it seems like one of the very first questions would be "why did you point a gun at this person?" In this case the judge did not even allow that testimony so I could easily see a reasonable juror concluding that it was impossible to determine beyond a reasonable doubt that the pointing of the gun was, in this specific case, illegal.

Return to “Off-Topic”