Hurricane brings out patriotism in media.

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Hurricane brings out patriotism in media.

Post by Jusme »

Kind of a misleading title, but I was looking through MRC's Newsbusters, this morning, and ran across this story, and video, about a Weather Channel reporter, salvaging a flag in Rockport. They usually don't have flattering things to show about media members, but they were very complimentary, about this one reporter.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/ni ... lag-harvey

I was very moved by this, and think that they should play this video, at the beginning of every NFL game before the National Anthem. Maybe that will put into perspective the reason we salute Old Glory.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Flightmare

Re: Hurricane brings out patriotism in media.

Post by Flightmare »

It should definitely be played at the Houston Texans season opener.

ETA: Any chance that the VFW could be enlisted to do a retirement ceremony for that very flag prior at the season opener for Houston?
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

:patriot:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Take Down Sicko »

:txflag: God Bless America, her President and her People. :patriot:

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Flightmare wrote:It should definitely be played at the Houston Texans season opener.

ETA: Any chance that the VFW could be enlisted to do a retirement ceremony for that very flag prior at the season opener for Houston?
Why does it need to be retired? It still looked to be in good shape. Wash it and use it as the colors at the opening game.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

troglodyte wrote:
Flightmare wrote:It should definitely be played at the Houston Texans season opener.

Why does it need to be retired? It still looked to be in good shape. Wash it and use it as the colors at the opening game.
Traditionally, if a flag touches the ground it gets retired.

It's not a requirement of any kind, but people who were weaned on old-school flag etiquette still feel that way.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jeff B. »

Great observation.

We could use any positive demonstrations of humanity these days.

Everything doesn't have to revolve around injustice, perceived wrongs and angry mobs.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

troglodyte wrote:

The man in the video mentioned that the flag was battered.

http://www.military.com/flag-day/us-flag-code.html
US Flag Code
§8. Respect for flag

k. The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning

I believe an honorable retirement ceremony for this flag would make protesting it a difficult act to defend.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Flightmare wrote:
troglodyte wrote:

The man in the video mentioned that the flag was battered.

http://www.military.com/flag-day/us-flag-code.html
US Flag Code
§8. Respect for flag

k. The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning

I believe an honorable retirement ceremony for this flag would make protesting it a difficult act to defend.
Being familiar with the flag code is what precipitated my question. The flag may have been battered, not tattered, and still in presentable shape. After reviewing the video again it appears the flag is in good shape. I could not see any fraying and the grommets appear to be intact. It may have be torn or ripped and I didn't see it.

"Touching the ground" while something to be refrained from does not equate "No longer a fitting emblem for display." This flag may not be serviceable and I agree it should be retired properly if so. I do not agree that just because it touched the ground it mandatorily has to be burned. Burning a serviceable flag seems more disrespectful to me.

I'm not trying to start an argument over this flag or any other flag necessarily. I just tire of the wives-tale that if a flag touches the ground it has to be destroyed. A perfectly good flag should be cleaned, even repaired, and put back into service. I see too many tattered rags flying from flag poles, and people wearing clothes that resemble the flag that nothing is said about but as soon a the hem of the corner of a flag brushes the ground the cry goes up that it has to be burned now.

The flag is not to be used on clothing except for patches on uniforms or lapel pins. I know a lot of people think they are being patriotic, and in their mind they are, when they wear pants, shorts, and bikinis that resemble the flag. The flag code states:

•(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

It should not be held captive and horizontally in parades or at the playing of the National Anthem at football games

(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

It should not be displayed at night (without proper illumination) or in inclement weather (unless an all weather flag) yet it is not uncommon to see these frequently.

So there is a lot of flag etiquette education that needs to happen. I try not to get down on the folks that wear flag resembling clothing or when our military members hold the huge flag on the football field but these are a definite "violation" of the flag code. They mean well and in some cases it is impressive in a positive way.

Good job to the weatherman for showing respect to Old Glory. More people need to, not for the colors on a piece of fabric, but for the blood and lives that were given and sacrificed for it to be able to fly over our Land representing our freedoms.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
Jusme

Post by Jusme »

My son's Boy Scout troop retired several flags. These were usually done during our "Family Camp" where we invited, the Cub Scouts and their families on a camp out. The retirement ceremony is very moving, and gave the younger Scouts, and their families the opportunity, to see the proper respect for the flag. The flags were obtained from local businesses, schools, etc. and we had a flag replacement fund that we would use to provide them with a new flag.
The "main" retired flag, was cut into pieces, each stripe was cut out, each star was cut out, the blue back ground was left as one piece. As the each color was called out, and it's meaning defined, the scouts would place that particular piece in the fire. We would then line up the Cub Scouts and as each State was called, they were given one star, to place in the fire. All other flags had their borders removed, and then put into the fire. There were few dry eyes, in the crowd, and it would really help remind everyone how much sacrifice has been made to preserve, what the flag stands for.
If you get the chance, I encourage everyone to attend a Scout sponsored retirement ceremony.

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “Off-Topic”