Boy Finds Gun In Dressing Room. His Mom’s Reaction Illustrates Why We Need More Gun Education

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Boy Finds Gun In Dressing Room. His Mom’s Reaction Illustrates Why We Need More Gun Education

Post by Pawpaw »

News outlets report the mother and son were inside a dressing room at the Adidas store in Lenox Square on Wednesday when the 10-year-old boy found what he thought was a toy gun under a bench. Atlanta police spokeswoman Stephanie Brown says the mother took the gun from the boy and pulled the trigger “to see if it was real.” A single shot was fired.
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2017/08/2 ... education/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Boy Finds Gun In Dressing Room. His Mom’s Reaction Illustrates Why We Need More Gun Education

Post by C-dub »

That's one way.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

flechero

Re: Boy Finds Gun In Dressing Room. His Mom’s Reaction Illustrates Why We Need More Gun Education

Post by flechero »

With no thought of what gets shot if it IS REAL?? Wow, just wow.

Jnazee

Post by Jnazee »

:shock: I thank God this mothers ignorance didn't kill someone. :roll:

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

Isn't it amazing how people will just always place their finger on the trigger??

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Doesn't she know that she is supposed to put the gun to her head before pulling the trigger? That way, if it's real the gene pool gets an improvement.

What a complete and total idiot. I hope that she faces charges for her stupid mistake, and I am just glad that the results weren't a hell of a lot worse.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I wonder if there is in-store video coverage of the dressing rooms? The gun didn't get there by itself, it may have been 'ditched'.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Oldgringo wrote:I wonder if there is in-store video coverage of the dressing rooms? The gun didn't get there by itself, it may have been 'ditched'.
They are not legally allowed to video dressing rooms, but they may have a video, of those who went in before the mother and son. My guess is that someone changed clothes, and the gun fell out of a pocket, or holster when they disrobed. But if no one is stepping up to claim it, then they probably weren't carrying it legally anyway. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Jusme wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:I wonder if there is in-store video coverage of the dressing rooms? The gun didn't get there by itself, it may have been 'ditched'.
They are not legally allowed to video dressing rooms, but they may have a video, of those who went in before the mother and son. My guess is that someone changed clothes, and the gun fell out of a pocket, or holster when they disrobed. But if no one is stepping up to claim it, then they probably weren't carrying it legally anyway. JMHO
Exactly!

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

For all of us arm-chair lawyers:
Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 46.13. Making a Firearm Accessible to a Child
(b)A person commits an offense if a child gains access to a readily dischargeable firearm and the person with criminal negligence:
(2)left the firearm in a place to which the person knew or should have known the child would gain access.
(e)An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor if the child discharges the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury to himself or another person.
For the sake of discussion, let's assume the person who left the gun was the owner of the gun, and they left it with "criminal negligence." Therefore, this statute would apply.

When the child picked up the gun, the owner became subject to a Class A misdemeanor. However, when the mother took it from the child, it removes the potential of the owner being charged with anything higher, at least under this statute, since she fired the gun, not the child.

Sound correct?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

but shouldn't the mother be charged with something? firing a gun in a public place"? "being an idiot"?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

mloamiller wrote:For all of us arm-chair lawyers:
Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 46.13. Making a Firearm Accessible to a Child
(b)A person commits an offense if a child gains access to a readily dischargeable firearm and the person with criminal negligence:
(2)left the firearm in a place to which the person knew or should have known the child would gain access.
(e)An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor if the child discharges the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury to himself or another person.
For the sake of discussion, let's assume the person who left the gun was the owner of the gun, and they left it with "criminal negligence." Therefore, this statute would apply.

When the child picked up the gun, the owner became subject to a Class A misdemeanor. However, when the mother took it from the child, it removes the potential of the owner being charged with anything higher, at least under this statute, since she fired the gun, not the child.

Sound correct?

Probably, but this happened, in Atlanta GA, so I don't know if their statutes are similar, or not.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Obama/Sanders/Clinton voter most likely.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Wow! This is why I educated kids and my wife on safely handling firearms. When kids were little I had them watch a good video for kids about what do to if you found a gun (scene: playing hide-and-seek in a closet and finding a shotgun) and it basically told them not to touch them and to tell an adult. This is also why I've offered to many, many people to meet them at the gun range, especially non gun people, to show them safe handling of firearms.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Jusme wrote: Probably, but this happened, in Atlanta GA, so I don't know if their statutes are similar, or not.
Good point. I meant to include "if this happened in Texas" but forgot.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Return to “Off-Topic”