Local recon needed -Houston

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Local recon needed -Houston

Post by philip964 »

Many have been hurt very hard by this storm.

The Houston area is very large.

My area is Montrose?Museum District on the near West side of downtown Houston.

We are almost back to normal with the exception of Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway near the bayou. Even the underpass for Main Street at Holcomb in the Medical Center is dry. Yesterday the gas station at Montrose and Richmond got a tanker delivery of gasoline in case anyone is near there and is looking for gas.

Post Offices were open yesterday. A lot of restaurants were open for business Wednesday night. Grocery stores are open, but things like bread and batteries are not available. But there is a ton of bottled water. Most ordinary retail stores are still closed, not due to the store being flooded, but most likely a lack of employees to work the store.

I have not ventured outside of the loop and have not crossed North of I-10. The iphone map seems to show road closures and ramp closures. I have not checked the accuracy. Stay safe.

Alf

Post by Alf »

CleverNickname wrote:TXDOT runs https://drivetexas.org, so it has the most recent/accurate highway status you'll probably get.
Houston Transtar is also good and matches what I see in my area.
list at https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/roa ... #highwater
map at http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 5

Post by troglodyte »

We just made it in to Conroe where we are staying the night. Other than a very long trip, almost 14 hours, we made it without incident. It appears hat there is gas at all the stations we passed. We brought our own so we filled up from our reserves. I-45 is just as terrible as I remember it. The turn rows at home are smoother. We'll head into Houston in the morning and drop everything off. A couple of us have to head back tomorrow so it will be another long, but not as long, trip.

I appreciate all the info.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Archery1

Post by Archery1 »

This link will pull up reported gas availability by your location: http://tracker.gasbuddy.com/

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 5

Post by troglodyte »

We made it down and back. Did not see any wide-spread gas shortages, just a station or two. One being the Alsups in Post, Garza Co. They were out of diesel . We didn't get far off the beaten path but if I didn't know better I wouldn't have been able to tell a hurricane went through a week ago. I know there is lots of damage but it is surprising to me how resilient humans are. Business as usual and relief efforts are meeting as many needs as they can. I guess, not living in that part of the country, I was expecting more...something...still just a few days after such a massive storm. It is reassuring to see that while things are still bad for a lot of people, life is going on.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

SRO1911 wrote:Many Thanks to voltexan and others. Made it through H and into Pearland Friday night. this area is pretty clear, but a little drive in any direction shows the heck these people have been through.
I wish that I could stay longer, but heading back to the big country tommorrow. if anyone needs transportation message me.
I10 through San Antonio to Junction then north to 83 on to Abilene
We came back today (to Austin area). Traffic along I-10 was pretty light, except a small stretch around Exit 754 (West bound). They have the far right lane closed & a water barrier to keep the Addicks Reservoir off the freeway. Slow down was less than a mile, then back to normal speeds.

Return to “Off-Topic”