Advice/Input on Making a Supply Run to Houston

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
PUCKER

Advice/Input on Making a Supply Run to Houston

Postby PUCKER » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:24 am

Some buddies and I are planning to make a supply run to Houston either this Friday or next week - I'd appreciate any input on specific locations to deliver said supplies and recommended items. I've got a 4x4 dually crew cab and a 28' enclosed trailer. We plan on filling it up with bottled water - what else would be needed? Diapers, wet wipes, canned goods, etc? Sure, we could donate money to a charity but I'd rather take matters into my own hands.

Vol Texan

Re: Advice/Input on Making a Supply Run to Houston

Postby Vol Texan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:18 am

What direction are you coming from? There are lots of people displaced by flooding of the Addicks and Barker Reservoirs, and by the flooding along the banks of the Buffalo Bayou just downstream of them. So, if you are coming from the west, send me a PM and I can direct you to the local shelters around here.

Other parts of town are also hit hard, but my attention has been focused on the folks around here, so I don't know other info for you. In my neighborhood, many homes(mine included) are watching the floodwaters slowly expand to devour one or two more blocks each day. I feel very confident that my home will be spared - we are on the very periphery of the projected impact zone (my street should flood, but not our homes). However, hundreds of homes closer to the bayou (it is adjacent to our neighborhood) are under several feet of water. Those of us on the 'dry' side are taking in our neighbors, and trying to help where we can, but it is a bit overwhelming.

Many of these folks lost everything, and have little more than the clothes on their backs. We are so blessed - had we bought a home just one street over, we'd be wearing waders to get into our home - since normal cars and trucks cannot pass. Just a few more streets, and our homes would be inundated.

Mrs VolTexan told me today - if we end up dodging this bullet completely, as we think will be the case, we're NEVER selling this house. It's clearly in a very good location!
Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator

The Annoyed Man

Postby The Annoyed Man » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 am

PUCKER wrote:Some buddies and I are planning to make a supply run to Houston either this Friday or next week - I'd appreciate any input on specific locations to deliver said supplies and recommended items. I've got a 4x4 dually crew cab and a 28' enclosed trailer. We plan on filling it up with bottled water - what else would be needed? Diapers, wet wipes, canned goods, etc? Sure, we could donate money to a charity but I'd rather take matters into my own hands.

My son is trying to put together a convoy of buddies with pickup trucks, each loaded with stuff for Houston. He wanted to drive down over the weekend. I don't know how far he's gotten with it, but can I put him in touch with you? He's more than willing, but he's just one guy trying to leverage his own effort with other people.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

Topic author
PUCKER

Postby PUCKER » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:26 am

Vol: thank you and I hope you stay high n dry!! We are coming from DFW.

TAM: absolutely!

Liberty

Postby Liberty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:28 am

People will be going back to clean out their homes flooded.,stinky no electricity .. Some odd things we found useful during Ike.
Trashbags.
Canned foods like spam, chili, Beans, Chicken and tuna fish
Clean clothes.
Trash bags
Sterno
Propane
batteries. ( the best of prepers are getting low now)
Paper products .. Towels toilet paper
Did I mention Trash bags?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Bitter Clinger

Postby Bitter Clinger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:53 am

Thank God that you seem to be doing "OK". You may find this link useful if you do not already have:

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/consumer/storm ... arvey.html

Let us know what we can do for you. Do not hesitate to ask. Those of us living outside of the Gulf Coast are feeling pretty fortunate and not sure what else we can do...
Last edited by Bitter Clinger on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You may all go to Chicago, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

RPBrown

Postby RPBrown » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 am

I just returned from the Rockport area where I dropped of a pickup truck and 16' trailer load of water, diapers, trash bags, bleach, socks, toilet paper, paper towels, blankets and toiletries. These are the items that I figured they were in need of the most.
Although I have kids in the Houston area (they are okay and dry) and I am from Houston, I felt that Rockport had not gotten the supplies they needed. There are droves going to Houston but you didn't hear of anyone headed to Rockport, so I elected to go the other route. Reloading and going back tomorrow.
This next run will be more for animals. We are taking dog and cat food, grain for farm animals, knock down cages, towels and blankets.
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member

bmwrdr

Postby bmwrdr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
PUCKER wrote:Some buddies and I are planning to make a supply run to Houston either this Friday or next week - I'd appreciate any input on specific locations to deliver said supplies and recommended items. I've got a 4x4 dually crew cab and a 28' enclosed trailer. We plan on filling it up with bottled water - what else would be needed? Diapers, wet wipes, canned goods, etc? Sure, we could donate money to a charity but I'd rather take matters into my own hands.

My son is trying to put together a convoy of buddies with pickup trucks, each loaded with stuff for Houston. He wanted to drive down over the weekend. I don't know how far he's gotten with it, but can I put him in touch with you? He's more than willing, but he's just one guy trying to leverage his own effort with other people.

PM sent.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

roadkill

Postby roadkill » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 am

Folks have been using the Zello walkie talkie app to communicate the rescues in the Houston area. I think the channels were Cajun Navy, Texas navy. You could ask someone there on site where its most needed as well as roads open.

Bitter Clinger

Postby Bitter Clinger » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:24 am

Pucker,

Fill up those race jugs and carry your own fuel - that would be my advice.
"You may all go to Chicago, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Mike S

Postby Mike S » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:01 am

Vol Texan wrote:What direction are you coming from? There are lots of people displaced by flooding of the Addicks and Barker Reservoirs, and by the flooding along the banks of the Buffalo Bayou just downstream of them. So, if you are coming from the west, send me a PM and I can direct you to the local shelters around here.

Other parts of town are also hit hard, but my attention has been focused on the folks around here, so I don't know other info for you. In my neighborhood, many homes(mine included) are watching the floodwaters slowly expand to devour one or two more blocks each day. I feel very confident that my home will be spared - we are on the very periphery of the projected impact zone (my street should flood, but not our homes). However, hundreds of homes closer to the bayou (it is adjacent to our neighborhood) are under several feet of water. Those of us on the 'dry' side are taking in our neighbors, and trying to help where we can, but it is a bit overwhelming.

Many of these folks lost everything, and have little more than the clothes on their backs. We are so blessed - had we bought a home just one street over, we'd be wearing waders to get into our home - since normal cars and trucks cannot pass. Just a few more streets, and our homes would be inundated.

Mrs VolTexan told me today - if we end up dodging this bullet completely, as we think will be the case, we're NEVER selling this house. It's clearly in a very good location!

We're planning a run from the Austin area towards Santa Fe, Tx to drop off supplies at a small evacuee center there, unless a greater need exists elsewhere.

From your post, I kinda get the impression your neighborhood is surrounded by water. If you need anything, & have someone that can meet us on dry land with a boat to cross load supplies, please let me know. My son is picking up a pallet of water & assorted cleaning supplies from Costco today.

Very respectfully,
Mike
Mike S.

The Annoyed Man

Postby The Annoyed Man » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:05 am

PUCKER wrote:Vol: thank you and I hope you stay high n dry!! We are coming from DFW.

TAM: absolutely!

PM sent.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

Topic author
PUCKER

Postby PUCKER » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:31 am

PM's replied to, thank you!!

Syntyr

Postby Syntyr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 am

Liberty wrote:People will be going back to clean out their homes flooded.,stinky no electricity .. Some odd things we found useful during Ike.
Trashbags.
Canned foods like spam, chili, Beans, Chicken and tuna fish
Clean clothes.
Trash bags
Sterno
Propane
batteries. ( the best of prepers are getting low now)
Paper products .. Towels toilet paper
Did I mention Trash bags?

:iagree:

Just a heads up for those coming in - Watch your gas supplies. Stations are open but are starting to run low. Don't let yourself get so low on gas that you get stuck down here!

and THANK YOU!
Syntyr
Happiness is two at low eight!

Syntyr

Postby Syntyr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:03 pm

RPBrown wrote:I just returned from the Rockport area where I dropped of a pickup truck and 16' trailer load of water, diapers, trash bags, bleach, socks, toilet paper, paper towels, blankets and toiletries. These are the items that I figured they were in need of the most.
Although I have kids in the Houston area (they are okay and dry) and I am from Houston, I felt that Rockport had not gotten the supplies they needed. There are droves going to Houston but you didn't hear of anyone headed to Rockport, so I elected to go the other route. Reloading and going back tomorrow.
This next run will be more for animals. We are taking dog and cat food, grain for farm animals, knock down cages, towels and blankets.

This as well. All up and down the coast. This is not just a Houston thing! I am heading down to Victoria to take fuel and ice. I have a friend who lost 30 trees and several buildings on her ranch in Rockport.
Syntyr
Happiness is two at low eight!

Return to “Off-Topic”