It's been a while...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 9

It's been a while...

Post by pbwalker »

I'd say "I'm new here", as it's been ~4 years or so since I was on. Glad to see the forum still active (and even more so). :tiphat:

Lots of change in 4 years...moved to Northern Colorado two years ago. I love it here, but TX is still in my heart (and tattooed on my forearm) . :txflag:

Hope all are well!
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: It's been a while...

Post by carlson1 »

Good to hear from you and glad you are enjoying Colorado. How do the laws compare to carrying here in Texas?

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

carlson1 wrote:Good to hear from you and glad you are enjoying Colorado. How do the laws compare to carrying here in Texas?
All in all, they're pretty similar in most regards. You can open carry without a license, but no one really open carries. Generic 'no guns allowed' signs carry no weight of law, you can carry in places that serve alcohol (no 51% equivalent), my TX Hunters Ed sufficed for my license training requirement, lots of public land to go shooting, etc.

Denver has more restrictive laws (no 'Assault Weapons' or 'Saturday Night Specials' allowed), so I just stay away from Denver (and Boulder for that matter).

CO does have a 15 round limit on mags and that almost hosed the move for us. For the most part, the law is ignored. They say as long as you had the mags prior to the date the law was enacted, you're good. Can't give them to someone though. But like I said, no one enforces it. Our county sheriff has come out and said it's a junk law and he's not going to waste the time on it. There's some good organizations working on getting it repealed. On a completely unrelated note, not having ANYTHING to do with mags ( :cool: ), I live 35 minutes from the Wyoming border. Funny thing...you see a lot of Colorado plates at these gun shops.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

pbwalker wrote:I'd say "I'm new here", as it's been ~4 years or so since I was on. Glad to see the forum still active (and even more so). :tiphat:

Lots of change in 4 years...moved to Northern Colorado two years ago. I love it here, but TX is still in my heart (and tattooed on my forearm) . :txflag:

Hope all are well!
I almost read that as, "forgive me father, it has bee 4 years since my last confession..."
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SQLGeek »

Howdy! I just made my way back on to the forum myself as the family and I just moved back to Texas this summer. Thanks for checking in and glad you're doing well. I have a friend in Colorado Springs that is always telling me about how great it is there.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

wheelgun1958 wrote:Have you been here?

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015091 ... er-21-2015
That's my range! It's a real nice facility.

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

SQLGeek wrote:Howdy! I just made my way back on to the forum myself as the family and I just moved back to Texas this summer. Thanks for checking in and glad you're doing well. I have a friend in Colorado Springs that is always telling me about how great it is there.
Are you still a SQL guy or did you move on to the trendy MongoDB / Cassandra / NoSQL flavors of the year? :lol:

I've only been to the Springs once, but it's nice! We were torn on where to move to when we left TX. The Springs was on our list, but we went with a smaller town up north...the one draw back for me, with regards to CS, was the fact that they essentially crammed a half a million people in between I-25 and the mountains.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

pbwalker wrote:
Are you still a SQL guy or did you move on to the trendy MongoDB / Cassandra / NoSQL flavors of the year? :lol:
:lol: I dabble in a lot of things these days but now that I'm moving into management, "None of the above" is probably the best answer. I will always be a SQL guy at heart though.
I've only been to the Springs once, but it's nice! We were torn on where to move to when we left TX.
Care to share why you left TX? We did it to be closer with our family....and that turned out to be quite frankly, a huge mistake. So back to the Republic we fled. :txflag:

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

SQLGeek wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
:lol: I dabble in a lot of things these days but now that I'm moving into management, "None of the above" is probably the best answer. I will always be a SQL guy at heart though.
I've only been to the Springs once, but it's nice! We were torn on where to move to when we left TX.
Care to share why you left TX? We did it to be closer with our family....and that turned out to be quite frankly, a huge mistake. So back to the Republic we fled. :txflag:
Frankly, the wife and I just wanted a change. Our two girls were in Pre-K & 1st grade, so the timing was right because changing schools at that age isn't as big of a deal as it is when they're older. For me personally, it was a multitude of things that came in to play. I've always been drawn to the mountains (hunting, fly fishing, hiking, etc.), I was over the heat & humidity, I was over San Antonio, and so forth. Working from home made it easy too. So we looked up and down the Front Range (excluding Denver...that was never in play) and decided to go north. Boise, ID was my one wildcard, but I lost out on that. :lol:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I do remember when you talked about leaving. It's good to hear from you again and I'm a little surprised you remembered your password. :lol:

BTW, regarding what you said about not being able to give standard capacity mags that hold more than 15 rounds to someone else, how do you think they would be able to enforce that? I understand you indicated your sheriff said he wouldn't waste his time, but if someone else would I don't see how anyone could prove that someone else didn't have them prior to the law taking effect either.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

pbwalker wrote: Frankly, the wife and I just wanted a change. Our two girls were in Pre-K & 1st grade, so the timing was right because changing schools at that age isn't as big of a deal as it is when they're older. For me personally, it was a multitude of things that came in to play. I've always been drawn to the mountains (hunting, fly fishing, hiking, etc.), I was over the heat & humidity, I was over San Antonio, and so forth. Working from home made it easy too. So we looked up and down the Front Range (excluding Denver...that was never in play) and decided to go north. Boise, ID was my one wildcard, but I lost out on that. :lol:
I get all of that. Working from home provides some amazing mobility that I gave up once and am reticent to give up again. We grew roots pretty quickly in Texas so when we decided that California just wasn't for us anymore, coming back just made sense though we did toy with the idea of moving to the Carson Valley in Nevada and a few other mountainous places. We have moved enough for a while so I don't see us going anywhere anytime soon but that is subject to change when the kids are done with school. I looked at Boise a while back and that probably would have been a good fit for us. Not being constrained to a location by a job sure presents quite a few decisions doesn't it?

I'm glad you found a place you like. Don't be a stranger. :tiphat:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

pbwalker wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Good to hear from you and glad you are enjoying Colorado. How do the laws compare to carrying here in Texas?
All in all, they're pretty similar in most regards. You can open carry without a license, but no one really open carries. Generic 'no guns allowed' signs carry no weight of law, you can carry in places that serve alcohol (no 51% equivalent), my TX Hunters Ed sufficed for my license training requirement, lots of public land to go shooting, etc.

Denver has more restrictive laws (no 'Assault Weapons' or 'Saturday Night Specials' allowed), so I just stay away from Denver (and Boulder for that matter).

CO does have a 15 round limit on mags and that almost hosed the move for us. For the most part, the law is ignored. They say as long as you had the mags prior to the date the law was enacted, you're good. Can't give them to someone though. But like I said, no one enforces it. Our county sheriff has come out and said it's a junk law and he's not going to waste the time on it. There's some good organizations working on getting it repealed. On a completely unrelated note, not having ANYTHING to do with mags ( :cool: ), I live 35 minutes from the Wyoming border. Funny thing...you see a lot of Colorado plates at these gun shops.
You seriously literally cannot even own an AR15 or AK in those cities? That's even worse than California!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
pbwalker wrote:

You seriously literally cannot even own an AR15 or AK in those cities? That's even worse than California!
An AR15 is not a Saturday Night Special. Well, maybe if it's a Del-Ton.

With the statewide 15 round limit in effect, Denver's 20 round limit on detachable magazines isn't much of a hurdle any more to skirt the AWB ban.
"hic sunt dracones"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Captain Matt wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
pbwalker wrote:

An AR15 is not a Saturday Night Special. Well, maybe if it's a Del-Ton.

With the statewide 15 round limit in effect, Denver's 20 round limit on detachable magazines isn't much of a hurdle any more to skirt the AWB ban.
I know perfectly well what they would call a "Saturday Night Special", But the part above in red that I have re-emphasized with bold underlining and italics, included the phrase "assault weapons". Don't worry, I know what a real assault weapon is too, but libtards don't.....so I am assuming that pbwalker was referring to municipal laws in Denver against the possession of ARs and AKs.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Off-Topic”