It's been a while...

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 9

Re: It's been a while...

Post by pbwalker »

Captain Matt wrote: An AR15 is not a Saturday Night Special. Well, maybe if it's a Del-Ton.
Of course it isn't. I don't think that was implied at all.
The Annoyed Man wrote:
pbwalker wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Good to hear from you and glad you are enjoying Colorado. How do the laws compare to carrying here in Texas?
All in all, they're pretty similar in most regards. You can open carry without a license, but no one really open carries. Generic 'no guns allowed' signs carry no weight of law, you can carry in places that serve alcohol (no 51% equivalent), my TX Hunters Ed sufficed for my license training requirement, lots of public land to go shooting, etc.

Denver has more restrictive laws (no 'Assault Weapons' or 'Saturday Night Specials' allowed), so I just stay away from Denver (and Boulder for that matter).

CO does have a 15 round limit on mags and that almost hosed the move for us. For the most part, the law is ignored. They say as long as you had the mags prior to the date the law was enacted, you're good. Can't give them to someone though. But like I said, no one enforces it. Our county sheriff has come out and said it's a junk law and he's not going to waste the time on it. There's some good organizations working on getting it repealed. On a completely unrelated note, not having ANYTHING to do with mags ( :cool: ), I live 35 minutes from the Wyoming border. Funny thing...you see a lot of Colorado plates at these gun shops.
You seriously literally cannot even own an AR15 or AK in those cities? That's even worse than California!
Hey TAM. Good to see you on here! Always enjoyed your posts!

I apologize, I should have clarified I meant Assault Weapons by Denver's definition. Specifically 38-130(e)
Link: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/DenverLaws.pdf

I can't find the exact law on the SNS ban, as I'm sure it's called something different.
Link: http://www.denverpost.com/2006/06/05/su ... apons-ban/
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

SQLGeek wrote:
pbwalker wrote: Frankly, the wife and I just wanted a change. Our two girls were in Pre-K & 1st grade, so the timing was right because changing schools at that age isn't as big of a deal as it is when they're older. For me personally, it was a multitude of things that came in to play. I've always been drawn to the mountains (hunting, fly fishing, hiking, etc.), I was over the heat & humidity, I was over San Antonio, and so forth. Working from home made it easy too. So we looked up and down the Front Range (excluding Denver...that was never in play) and decided to go north. Boise, ID was my one wildcard, but I lost out on that. :lol:
I get all of that. Working from home provides some amazing mobility that I gave up once and am reticent to give up again. We grew roots pretty quickly in Texas so when we decided that California just wasn't for us anymore, coming back just made sense though we did toy with the idea of moving to the Carson Valley in Nevada and a few other mountainous places. We have moved enough for a while so I don't see us going anywhere anytime soon but that is subject to change when the kids are done with school. I looked at Boise a while back and that probably would have been a good fit for us. Not being constrained to a location by a job sure presents quite a few decisions doesn't it?

I'm glad you found a place you like. Don't be a stranger. :tiphat:
The part I highlighted in red cannot be understated! One of the biggest things that came in to play was "if I lose my job, are there local companies I can fall back on..."

Funny thing is that my employer has an office here (with over 3,000 employees) but I am still a 'home based' employee. :lol:

I am sure that at some point in my life I will end up back in TX. Whether that's sooner or later is TBD. You never know what's gonna get thrown at ya!

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

C-dub wrote:I do remember when you talked about leaving. It's good to hear from you again and I'm a little surprised you remembered your password. :lol:

BTW, regarding what you said about not being able to give standard capacity mags that hold more than 15 rounds to someone else, how do you think they would be able to enforce that? I understand you indicated your sheriff said he wouldn't waste his time, but if someone else would I don't see how anyone could prove that someone else didn't have them prior to the law taking effect either.
Honestly, I don't think they are. I'm sure it's a tack-on charge. The sale of +15 round mags is banned, but you can buy them (no joke) for 'parts repair'. Meaning, I can go in to my LGS and buy a 30 round PMAG if I need 'parts'.

PMAGs do have date markings on them, but people just remove it. With Wyoming being 35 mins north,the only thing the ban has done is make it inconvenient for folks (well, that...and they drove Magpul out of the state). Of course, I know nothing about this, and only read about it online. :cool:

Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Captain Matt »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Captain Matt wrote: With the statewide 15 round limit in effect, Denver's 20 round limit on detachable magazines isn't much of a hurdle any more to skirt the AWB ban.
Don't worry, I know what a real assault weapon is too, but libtards don't.....so I am assuming that pbwalker was referring to municipal laws in Denver against the possession of ARs and AKs.
We know what happens when you assume, don't we? :mrgreen:

The Denver AWB prohibits, among other things, semiauto centerfire rifles with a detachable magazine > 20rd capacity. So an AR or AK with 15 round magazines is fine in Denver. It can even have a pistol grip. :shock:
"hic sunt dracones"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Captain Matt wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Captain Matt wrote: With the statewide 15 round limit in effect, Denver's 20 round limit on detachable magazines isn't much of a hurdle any more to skirt the AWB ban.
Don't worry, I know what a real assault weapon is too, but libtards don't.....so I am assuming that pbwalker was referring to municipal laws in Denver against the possession of ARs and AKs.
We know what happens when you assume, don't we? :mrgreen:

The Denver AWB prohibits, among other things, semiauto centerfire rifles with a detachable magazine > 20rd capacity. So an AR or AK with 15 round magazines is fine in Denver. It can even have a pistol grip. :shock:
NO! NOT A PISTOL GRIP!!!!!

What about the shoulder thing that goes up? Can you have one of those?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

:lol: :lol:

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

The Annoyed Man wrote:What about the shoulder thing that goes up? Can you have one of those?
"hic sunt dracones"

Return to “Off-Topic”