Camping at Lake Meredith

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 4

Camping at Lake Meredith

Post by imkopaka »

I'm considering taking my young son up to Lake Meredith (near Amarillo) before the end of the year and spending a weekend in a tent. Anyone have any experience in this area? Is it a good place? Is there enough to do that I could keep a (pretty advanced and capable) 4 year old happy without electronics for a day or two?

Also, do you need a hunting license for varmint hunting? I know you don't on your own property, but I'm not familiar with the park rules. Would hate to get in trouble with the game warden because I shot a jackrabbit without the authority to do so.

Any info and especially personal experience would be appreciated. :tiphat:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Camping at Lake Meredith

Post by Keith B »

Don't know about the location for camping and other activities, but it appears they do not allow varmint hunting on the land, only species listed in this brochure and only during prescribed seasons https://www.nps.gov/lamr/planyourvisit/ ... 7_2018.pdf
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

To the federal law enforcement officers at Lake Meredith, a rifle, in a case, with the (5 round) magazine removed but in the same case, is "Loaded".

Why yes, a decade later, I am still BITTER!

I won't be back.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

tomneal wrote:To the federal law enforcement officers at Lake Meredith, a rifle, in a case, with the (5 round) magazine removed but in the same case, is "Loaded".

Why yes, a decade later, I am still BITTER!

I won't be back.
Wow. That level of ignorant buffoonery is absolutely shocking.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ninjabread »

imkopaka wrote:Also, do you need a hunting license for varmint hunting? I know you don't on your own property, but I'm not familiar with the park rules. Would hate to get in trouble with the game warden because I shot a jackrabbit without the authority to do so.
When did they pass this? Maybe I will start hunting again.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

ninjabread wrote:
imkopaka wrote:Also, do you need a hunting license for varmint hunting? I know you don't on your own property, but I'm not familiar with the park rules. Would hate to get in trouble with the game warden because I shot a jackrabbit without the authority to do so.
It was my understanding that on your own private property outside of city limits (and therefore not subject to unlawful discharge of firearms) you could hunt jackrabbits, feral hogs, and coyotes year round with no permit and no bag limit. Am I wrong on that? :confused5

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You can kill feral hogs no license if they are a nuisance. If you hunt them to eat them, you need a license, but no season, no limit.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

imkopaka wrote:
ninjabread wrote:
It was my understanding that on your own private property outside of city limits (and therefore not subject to unlawful discharge of firearms) you could hunt jackrabbits, feral hogs, and coyotes year round with no permit and no bag limit. Am I wrong on that? :confused5
Last time I checked, there are seasons on ALL Rabbits. Better check with Texas Department of Wildlife.

Was wrong again. NO closed season on Rabbits per the STATE, but there are closed Seasons on Rabbits by the Feds on Federal lands that allow hunting.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

OldCurlyWolf wrote: Last time I checked, there are seasons on ALL Rabbits. Better check with Texas Department of Wildlife.

Was wrong again. NO closed season on Rabbits per the STATE, but there are closed Seasons on Rabbits by the Feds on Federal lands that allow hunting.
Thanks!

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ninjabread »

As far as I know, you don't need a fishing license to fish in your own pond but you do need a hunting license to hunt in your own woods. I would be happy to learn I'm wrong about the second.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

ninjabread wrote:As far as I know, you don't need a fishing license to fish in your own pond but you do need a hunting license to hunt in your own woods. I would be happy to learn I'm wrong about the second.
Yes, you need a license to harvest what TPWD defines as game animals.

As has been stated, in most instances you need a license to harvest exotics including feral hogs.

You do not need a license to eliminate destructive, nuisance animals to protect your property from damage or livestock.

I too see a gap between the fishing on private waters and hunting on private property.

Perhaps it is that most game species, when not restricted by high fences, are free to roam and might not actually "reside" on your property, and belong to the citizens of the State of Texas. Fish on a private pond do not have that ability.

I have a friend who has a lease next to a high fenced property that has invested in whitetail genetics and has some truly massive whitetails. During the South Texas rut, my friend soaked some special cotton devices with some doe urine and hung them across the road next to the fence for about 100 yards.

A big Boone & Crockett class buck caught wind of the aroma and jumped the fence. My friend was waiting and dropped the buck. The buck "owner" called the game warden and wanted him arrested for poaching.

The game warden said too bad so sad. Build the fence higher. Legal shoot.

Just because it is on your property doesn't mean you own it if it is wildlife.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Off-Topic”