Technology - the enabler of bad things or maybe not

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Technology - the enabler of bad things or maybe not

Post by jason812 »

Friday I had a moment of weakness. I've been wanting a PPQ .40 since they came out and since the introduction of the M2, it became harder to find the M1 (I like the paddle mag release plus it shares mags with the P99).

While setting in a tractor with the AC on, listening to the radio, pulling a boll buggy during cotton harvest, I bought one off of gunbroker using my phone. It should be here by the end of the week. :woohoo :fire
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

flechero

Re: Technology - the enabler of bad things or maybe not

Post by flechero »

You're spoiled! No cab, no a/c and no radio in our tractor! And it gets so dusty, I don't even carry a phone when on it.

But congrats on the PPQ find!

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Marshal »

Now that is funny.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Tractor?

Sheesh, we had mules.

Before the mules, I'd just hitch up the wife.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

My BIL (currently working as a foreman on a big farm in Georgia) was telling me a few months back about the high end tractors with inertial sensors and GPS. They program the GPS with the field location, dimensions, and pattern. Once the 'driver' gets the tractor to the field, the electronics take over and the driver becomes a passenger.....so they can now hire tractor 'drivers' with no experience who couldn't disc or plow a straight line on their own to save their life.....they only have to find their way between the equipment barn and the current field.....

I'm still not entirely sure he isn't shining me on...........
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

krieghoff

Post by krieghoff »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:My BIL (currently working as a foreman on a big farm in Georgia) was telling me a few months back about the high end tractors with inertial sensors and GPS. They program the GPS with the field location, dimensions, and pattern. Once they 'driver' gets the tractor to the field, the electronics take over and the driver becomes a passenger.....so they can now hire tractor 'drivers' with no experience who couldn't disc or plow a straight line on their own to save their life.....they only have to find their way between the equipment barn and the current field.....

On large plots this has been a way of life for several years. I have two friends who use GPS programs in their tractors. I have watched the tractors several times and it's kinda like watchin paint dry. Very boring!!
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Native Texan
CHL Holder Since 1996

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

krieghoff wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:My BIL (currently working as a foreman on a big farm in Georgia) was telling me a few months back about the high end tractors with inertial sensors and GPS. They program the GPS with the field location, dimensions, and pattern. Once they 'driver' gets the tractor to the field, the electronics take over and the driver becomes a passenger.....so they can now hire tractor 'drivers' with no experience who couldn't disc or plow a straight line on their own to save their life.....they only have to find their way between the equipment barn and the current field.....

On large plots this has been a way of life for several years. I have two friends who use GPS programs in their tractors. I have watched the tractors several times and it's kinda like watchin paint dry. Very boring!!
PUT ME IN THAT TRACTOR AND I PROMISE IT WILL NOT BE BORING!!!! :thewave
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
jason812

Post by jason812 »

krieghoff wrote:

Not my tractor, I couldn't afford it but I was helping my buddy who's dad farms 1100 acres and custom harvests another 500. Yes they have GPS. Load the tractor and implement in the GPS unit, select your pattern or direction of travel, how much overlap between passes, point the tractor close the direction you want to go and hit a button. The newer units recognize the field you are in and you can pre-program the patterns. The tractor will steer but you still have to select engine RPM, gear, and turn around at the end of the field or steer around obstacles (electrical poles). Plus you have to pay attention to catch when something breaks so you don't really tear a piece of equipment up. Things break all the time I have learned. I hear they are working on software to perform turning around.

You ought to set in the seat when you have a 2 mile long field going 4-6mph pulling a plow... The GPS unit will sound an alarm checking to make sure you are still awake before you get to the end of the pass.

Flechero, its still dirty work but not near as bad or loud as an open cab. When I have to drive one of the open cab tractors, I wear earplugs.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I had a JD 2030 way back when. Apparently, there was a version with a cab. I didn't own that one. :lol:

Congrats on the gunbroker find... but.. I'm more jealous of the tractor with A/C, to be honest. :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

I figure in five to ten years, anything the tractor software doesn't do now will "trickle down" from the driverless car software development going on right now......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

flechero

Post by flechero »

jason812 wrote:
Flechero, its still dirty work but not near as bad or loud as an open cab. When I have to drive one of the open cab tractors, I wear earplugs.
Oh, I know! I wear ear muffs with am/fm built in. When shredding- my whole body is the color of dust after an hour or two! We sub'd out the hay production as well. ;-)

Return to “Off-Topic”