Photobucket ruined the internet

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Photobucket ruined the internet

Post by flechero »

It still make me sad/angry that photobucket pulled the "ransom shenanigan." I keep looking through some of the best ever threads and missing so much from the pics. Forever lost are some of the best threads and pictures on the web. And tutorials without pics are tough at best.

A fist in the air to pbucket!!

Monday rant over.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Photobucket ruined the internet

Post by Beiruty »

I need delete/close my Photo bucket account.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

They really did hose a lot of forum history across the internet, didn't they? I was a very early user of Photobucket and when I was promoting it to some friends, somebody remarked that we should be careful with that because we don't know how long they can sustain the offering. Much longer than originally thought I suppose.
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

And there are so many that can't be recreated... i.e. Steven Camp's contributions are forever lost. Each board seems to have 1-2 people that were great contributors that have since passed away. Those posts/pics are irreplaceable.

It has changed how I save info. I used to keep a word docs with links to all the great threads I would refer back to but it's junk now. So Now I try to make screenshot or copy of stuff to save so that it doesn't happen next time with another hosting co.

loktite

Post by loktite »

You might also play around with saving the webpage via browser as "complete web page" . Either right clicking on the current page, or going to file menu of the browser -> save page as -> web page, complete under the type. The drawback to this is it creates a lot of files (as it is a complete webpage), but it IS quick and easy.
NRA Endowment Member

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Well now for some good news. The photos are not completely lost, they still can be accessed directly on Photobucket's site. This assumes that the account is still active.

You can copy the URL to the picture and then paste it in your address bar and it will take you directly to the image. As a bonus, if you browse away from the forum post and then go back to it, the images should all render properly. That's because when you went to Photobucket, it put a local copy of the image in your browser's cache.

Here are a couple of examples:

Making a copy using Chrome:
Capture.PNG
The rendered page:
Capture2.PNG
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

Interesting! Thanks for the tip- I will use it (sparingly)

Works w/ chrome but not firefox. BUT each pic I opened, I was inundated with 4 ads in photobucket.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Try the Wayback Machine (if you don't get the reference, tsk, tsk). It's real name is the Internet Archive and is trying to cache a history of the internet. It includes pictures if at all possible. If you find it there you can print the page to PDF for a personal copy.

https://archive.org/web/

FYI on the archive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayback_Machine
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

SQLGeek wrote:This assumes that the account is still active.
That is a big assumption if people are serious about closing their accounts over the change.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

SQLGeek wrote:Well now for some good news. The photos are not completely lost, they still can be accessed directly on Photobucket's site. This assumes that the account is still active.

You can copy the URL to the picture and then paste it in your address bar and it will take you directly to the image. As a bonus, if you browse away from the forum post and then go back to it, the images should all render properly. That's because when you went to Photobucket, it put a local copy of the image in your browser's cache.

Capture.PNG
The rendered page:
Capture2.PNG
Good info. Some techy nerd needs to create a browser add on where it will pull up the page and then you click a button that will open all those dead links in another tab and then refreshes the forum tab so they will display properly.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

SQLGeek wrote:Well now for some good news. The photos are not completely lost, they still can be accessed directly on Photobucket's site. This assumes that the account is still active.

Capture.PNG
The rendered page:
Capture2.PNG
I believe I've already seen an app or two that tries to do this automatically.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I only have about a half dozen pictures on there so far and I checked a couple threads I've posted them here and they are still there. It doesn't seem to have affected mine yet. Maybe tomorrow they'll get around to me.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Off-Topic”