Equifax fiasco

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Equifax fiasco

Post by rotor »

Has anyone gone to the Equifax site to sign up for their security check?

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

I did several weeks ago and today got the email to activate an account. Well their websites is at http://www.trustedid.com
must have been built by the crew that built Obamacare web sites as it is unable to handle the volume it is receiving and the activation that they send you is time limited. How inept can they be?

Also noted that their CEO retired today. Is tar and feathers still an acceptable treatment or will this take a huge team of attorneys? I hope the class action lawyers have just found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and sues their butts off.

I am completely fumed at that company and hope they go under. Class action lawyers, please step up and the public will love you for taking on these cases.

TimLanders
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Equifax fiasco

Post by TimLanders »

Careful signing up for TrustID - it could remove you from your possible tiny bit from the pot of gold.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/were-yo ... court.html

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

TimLanders wrote:Careful signing up for TrustID - it could remove you from your possible tiny bit from the pot of gold.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/were-yo ... court.html
I believe that they removed that "you can't sue them" clause after so many complaints.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

It would be an interesting but infuriating exercise to count the number of laws they have broken including insider trading. I understand the need for a company to coordinate a response but for the breach to occur in July and not notify the public until September is beyond the pale. There's several officers of the company that need to be facing prison.
Psalm 91:2

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Company of their size and complexity should have been rated at adaptive tier Cybersecurity level. Even risk informative tier 2 level company should have demonstrated proper security posture after the first intrusion. Someone dropped the ball big time here. Makes me wonder if it was insider job, selling out to hacker.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I just got a call from a credit card scammer. I led him on a little, giving him a test Discover account number. When I gave him a zip code a couple of hundred miles away, he asked if my zip code wasn't actually xxxxx - and he had my correct zip code.

I'm shaken, not stirred.

Topic author
rotor

Post by rotor »

If you have not done it yet go to Discover card and set up a passcode for telephone conversation with them. All happened about 2 years ago. A scammer actually had a Discover card issued to a California address by fooling a telephone employee at Discover card. I got a text message about the change so I was alerted. Went to the police with the info with the name and address of the California crook and they did...... nothing.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Equifax and all its affiliated companies should cease to exist as a result of this.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rdcrags

Post by rdcrags »

I deleted the e-mail, having been trained to ignore any e-mail link or phone number to dial unless the e-mail is from someone you know or is expected to contact you. Many hoaxes and scams. I am surprised to learn it is for real. I receive a scam not from AT&T every day.
TX CHL 1997

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

bblhd672 wrote:Equifax and all its affiliated companies should cease to exist as a result of this.
It wouldn't bother be if Equifax and the NFL were both out of business by this time next year.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Got a credit card statement today for a card I haven't used in months with about $300 in charges in New York. The Bronx, specifically, for whom everyone's favorite cheer is named.

Capital One has been decent about it so far. It would be very difficult to make a case the charges are mine.

Here's hoping they find the lowlife and make his life miserable for a while.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

treadlightly wrote:Got a credit card statement today for a card I haven't used in months with about $300 in charges in New York. The Bronx, specifically, for whom everyone's favorite cheer is named.

Capital One has been decent about it so far. It would be very difficult to make a case the charges are mine.

Here's hoping they find the lowlife and make his life miserable for a while.
One would assume Cap1 issues a new credit card for you.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

ninjabread wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Equifax and all its affiliated companies should cease to exist as a result of this.
It wouldn't bother be if Equifax and the NFL were both out of business by this time next year.
:iagree:
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

New card, new number, and the old is comfortably dead.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Excaliber »

rotor wrote:If you have not done it yet go to Discover card and set up a passcode for telephone conversation with them. All happened about 2 years ago. A scammer actually had a Discover card issued to a California address by fooling a telephone employee at Discover card. I got a text message about the change so I was alerted. Went to the police with the info with the name and address of the California crook and they did...... nothing.
In my LEO days we caught credit card scammers with thousands in merchandise and multiple credit cards - open and shut cases. We couldn't get the credit card companies to sign a complaint for a value under $50K - they told us the losses were just factored in to the interest they charge.

So - if you carry a balance on your cards, just be aware that you are helping to support tens of thousands of credit card criminals.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “Off-Topic”