Take a Knee Updated

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

pbwalker
Senior Member
Posts: 2971
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:12 am
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby pbwalker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 pm

I don't even watch the NFL anymore. They're within their God given right to protest whatever they want, as wrong and as misguided as they are. On the flip side, I have the God given right to turn off the TV, cancel NFL Sunday Ticket, and never step foot in an NFL stadium again.

I picked up Colorado State football season tickets...it's still about the game in most schools. We'll see if that holds true in the future.
*NRA Endowment Member*
Veteran
"Real Patriots don't worship government" - Maj Toure


BigGuy
Senior Member
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby BigGuy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:47 pm

I was recording the game. I usually let it go for a while so I can zip past commercials and half-time. The second I saw them locking arms during the National Anthem rather than place their hands over their hearts, I deleted the recording. I'm done with the NFL. Now of only Arkansas could win a game.


BigGuy
Senior Member
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby BigGuy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Also want to thank the OP for the powerful post. Also want to thank treadlightly. Good stuff.

User avatar

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts: 6631
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby anygunanywhere » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:52 pm

pbwalker wrote:I don't even watch the NFL anymore. They're within their God given right to protest whatever they want, as wrong and as misguided as they are. On the flip side, I have the God given right to turn off the TV, cancel NFL Sunday Ticket, and never step foot in an NFL stadium again.

I picked up Colorado State football season tickets...it's still about the game in most schools. We'll see if that holds true in the future.


First amendment rights do not exist in the workplace. The first amendment only prevents the government from infringing on those rights. The only reason the entertainers are getting away with it is because it fits their prog agenda. Recall when the Cowboys wanted to honor the slain Dallas officers? They were denied.
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%

User avatar

pbwalker
Senior Member
Posts: 2971
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:12 am
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby pbwalker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:09 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:
pbwalker wrote:I don't even watch the NFL anymore. They're within their God given right to protest whatever they want, as wrong and as misguided as they are. On the flip side, I have the God given right to turn off the TV, cancel NFL Sunday Ticket, and never step foot in an NFL stadium again.

I picked up Colorado State football season tickets...it's still about the game in most schools. We'll see if that holds true in the future.


First amendment rights do not exist in the workplace. The first amendment only prevents the government from infringing on those rights. The only reason the entertainers are getting away with it is because it fits their prog agenda. Recall when the Cowboys wanted to honor the slain Dallas officers? They were denied.


I never called out the 1A. But they are within their right to take a knee, and deal with the repercussions of doing so. And you are right about the reason they are getting away with it. Doesn't change anything I said above.
*NRA Endowment Member*
Veteran
"Real Patriots don't worship government" - Maj Toure

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts: 9416
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby AndyC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:19 pm

The Legends Football League — which features scantily clad women competing on the gridiron — responded to the NFL protest controversy on Wednesday by announcing “We Stand.”

The league released a YouTube video that depicts the women wearing their lingerie uniforms while saluting the flag during the national anthem.

The video notes that the players respect the sacrifices made so that “we as Americans can raise our flag across our nation.”
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts: 6631
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby anygunanywhere » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 pm

I don't consider insulting millions of loyal patriots both dead and living as a right. Denigrating the word right by defining what these losers are doing as such is the same as saying someone has the right to steal or murder.
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%

User avatar

pbwalker
Senior Member
Posts: 2971
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:12 am
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby pbwalker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:02 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:I don't consider insulting millions of loyal patriots both dead and living as a right. Denigrating the word right by defining what these losers are doing as such is the same as saying someone has the right to steal or murder.


Look, I'll be honest...I served. Am I offended? Nope. Not at all. They're a bunch of whiny, millionaire babies "protesting" this years cause célèbre. Frankly, we as a country have a lot more to be worried about than some sports game. It's a distraction I'm not looking to involve myself with. I'd prefer to focus on something more pressing like the 2A, Tax Reform, etc.

I'm not sure how to address your last sentence...I'm thinking you forgot a :lol: or :biggrinjester: in there because you surly can't be serious? If you are, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

:tiphat:
*NRA Endowment Member*
Veteran
"Real Patriots don't worship government" - Maj Toure

User avatar

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Senior Member
Posts: 6631
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:16 am
Location: La Grange, Texas

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby anygunanywhere » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:14 pm

I most surly am serious.
1911s should be carried openly as God and John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended them to be.
III%


treadlightly
Senior Member
Posts: 1141
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby treadlightly » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:31 pm

anygunanywhere wrote:I don't consider insulting millions of loyal patriots both dead and living as a right. Denigrating the word right by defining what these losers are doing as such is the same as saying someone has the right to steal or murder.


I support you in spirit, but not quite all the way in practice. Here's why I'm willing to go to the trouble to heckle those jerks while putting up with them at the same time.

Respect is not earned at gunpoint. It is far better for the mass bulk of the country to not want to disrespect America than it is to force respect, because whatever you get by force will be a mix of acquiescence and rebellion, not respect.

High-mindedness aside, I can't believe as much as airtime costs during an NFL football game that owners are content to allow their investment to be used as an employee's bullhorn. It doesn't make sense, particularly when they protest the system that not only lets them use their posteriors for ear muffs, it protects their right to be disgusting - assuming the players are either on their own time or act in accordance with employment expectations.

They are building up a debt they owe the country.

I'm not a big football fan, anyway. Give me a good ol' race, anything where each competitor's greatest challenge is his own limits, and I'm entertained and inspired. Gun matches are like that. Skills brought to bear on weaknesses with finesse, grace besting challenge.

Unless it came up in conversation, I probably wouldn't even notice for a few seasons if football games ceased to be.

User avatar

pbwalker
Senior Member
Posts: 2971
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:12 am
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby pbwalker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 pm

treadlightly wrote:Respect is not earned at gunpoint. It is far better for the mass bulk of the country to not want to disrespect America than it is to force respect, because whatever you get by force will be a mix of acquiescence and rebellion, not respect.


Well said!
*NRA Endowment Member*
Veteran
"Real Patriots don't worship government" - Maj Toure

User avatar

pbwalker
Senior Member
Posts: 2971
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:12 am
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby pbwalker » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:44 pm

I'm reminded of Noam Chomsky in these types of conversations (not just this thread, but in conversations I've had with folks in person). I'm not a fan of his, but he's spot on with these two quotes.

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."

"You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption."
*NRA Endowment Member*
Veteran
"Real Patriots don't worship government" - Maj Toure

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 976
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby Lynyrd » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm all for freedom of expression and the 1A. I was also taught not to bite the hand that feeds me. Entertainers take a risk when they do something that alienates part of their audience. Time will tell how their gamble plays out, but I for one will not be crying for them if their revenue stream dries up.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby Flightmare » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Lynyrd wrote:I'm all for freedom of expression and the 1A. I was also taught not to bite the hand that feeds me. Entertainers take a risk when they do something that alienates part of their audience. Time will tell how their gamble plays out, but I for one will not be crying for them if their revenue stream dries up.


You're right, they do have the right to express themselves. But that does not mean that they are exempt from the consequences of that expression. As someone has pointed out earlier, the ratings for the NFL are down from last year, which was down already.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

oohrah
Senior Member
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: McLennan County

Re: Take a Knee Updated

Postby oohrah » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:20 am

I am a Viet Nam combat vet, and when the hippies were burning the flag, I supported that 1A right, and I continue to support those same 1A rights today. Vote, vote with your wallet, vote with your participation. But you can't restrict others 1A rights without endangering your own.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests